ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2023 ES - V6 to be replaced with a four-turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22 | 09:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
It should be with 25% more displacement but that still comes with some sort of efficiency penalty. I haven't driven the NX with the new engine but we probably won't need to as we'll likely go to the RZ450e next to replace the NX and a Taycan or Macan EV to replace the GS.
Well it's not just the displacement. there were over 400 revisions. But it's all short-term glory anyway. The real news are EVs. All this gas stuff is poop water!

Honestly I'd like just a normal ordinary Camry/Accord sized EV that's not 60k. I'm hoping the chinese EV market hits strong here soon which will bring prices down. they're making some great cars.
Old 05-12-22 | 09:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

My wife and I both have V6s - me the ES and her the RX. I suspect we will keep at least one of those two for a very long time to avoid turbo mania.
Old 05-12-22 | 12:41 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
Forced induction vs NA generally results in superior performance and fuel economy cause you don't need the fuel to use it whereas the NA engine is gobbling up fuel like no tomorrow.
Wrong. Well, wrong if you drive like an average person that uses the gas pedal like an on-off switch LOL.
so yeah NA engines are inferior in this day and age. Take forever to wind out and build power etc. Unless you're talking real NA engines from Porsche or BMW (high performance ones) but you're talking about a regular old grandma V6 here that's 30 years old.
I've owned two turbo engines. They absolutely suck and given the choice I would pick NA over turbo every single time. Who wants lag off the line and uneven power delivery? Hybridize everything so you have good off-the-line grunt and top end gas power and you have the best of both worlds and good MPG.

Turbos don't exist in 2022 so much for power as they do for emissions and fuel economy reasons. Drive turbos nice and you can get good MPG. Drive hard and you may as well have a bigger thirsty engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
landonm86 (05-28-22), LexFinally (05-12-22), ukcats (06-22-22)
Old 05-12-22 | 01:04 PM
glamglam
Instructor

The 2023 Highlander is dropping its 3.5L V6 for Toyota's new Turbo-4 2.5L. The Highlander, like the 7ES, came out in 2019. So it's possible the 2023 ES may also drop the V6 as well. Would you V6 guys welcome and thirst after the 2.5L Turbo? It would easily smoke the V6 and get better fuel economy too.
No I would NOT thirst over an anemic underpowered 2.5L turbo. I do not like 4 cylinder engines. If I wanted a 4 cylinder, I would buy a Camry.
Old 05-12-22 | 01:40 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Toyota is going to keep the 4 cylinder combustible engine. Here’s proof of this.
https://www.hotcars.com/why-toyota-i...n-engines/amp/
Old 05-12-22 | 02:58 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by glamglam
Toyota is going to keep the 4 cylinder combustible engine. Here’s proof of this.
https://www.hotcars.com/why-toyota-i...n-engines/amp/
With all due respect, nobody questioned whether Toyota was going to get out of making Fours yet. The infrastructure for an EV-only America is a long way off, the government (for better or worse) has shown no great interest in the massive infrastructure program that would be needed to get there, and Toyota is far from a leader in the shift to EVs and therefore has an economic incentive to keep everyone believing that the gas engine has a future. While many of its facts are accurate, this article is a puff piece pure and simple.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22 | 02:59 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
With all due respect, nobody questioned whether Toyota was going to get out of making Fours yet. The infrastructure for an EV-only America is a long way off, the government (for better or worse) has shown no great interest in the massive infrastructure program that would be needed to get there, and Toyota is far from a leader in the shift to EVs and therefore has an economic incentive to keep everyone believing that the gas engine has a future. While many of its facts are accurate, this article is a puff piece pure and simple.
Okie dokie.
Old 05-12-22 | 03:07 PM
Aegean
Intermediate

The 4cylinder turbo engine will hurt sales considerably! See the identical engine swap in Highlander. A disaster.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-turbo-engine/

The 2023 Highlander three-row SUV swaps out that naturally aspirated motor for a new turbocharged 2.4-liter inline-four that produces 265 horsepower and 309 pound-feet of torque—a drop of 30 hp from the V-6 but an increase of 46 pound-feet of torque. Toyota claims that the four-cylinder will achieve the same 24 mpg combined as the V-6 in terms of its EPA ratings.
Old 05-12-22 | 03:19 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

What is the point then?
Old 05-12-22 | 03:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The turbo 4cyl in the NX produces its 317lb ft of torque at a low 1,700 rpms. I'm sure it gives a satisfying shove in the back in accelerating, merging etc.
Old 05-12-22 | 05:48 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Forced induction vs NA generally results in superior performance and fuel economy cause you don't need the fuel to use it whereas the NA engine is gobbling up fuel like no tomorrow.

so yeah NA engines are inferior in this day and age. Take forever to wind out and build power etc. Unless you're talking real NA engines from Porsche or BMW (high performance ones) but you're talking about a regular old grandma V6 here that's 30 years old.
Not to nitpick, but I must disagree with the phrasing about “inferior”. As a piece of automotive engineering the NA V6 in the ES (and other Toyota applications) is highly successful, smooth, powerful and highly reliable. One may cite the higher HP and better mileage of the turbo fours, but that is achieved as a package of complex add ons (like the turbo) that combines to achieve the desired goal. If you made the same modifications to that V6 by adding a turbo (as done in the LS to essentially the same engine) then that would be “superior”. I’d take a NA 6 over a 4 for smoothness and performance any day of the week (and an 8 would top that.

The point I’m making is that terms like inferior are only relative and do not accurately portray the actual design and functionality of the subject engine, implying it is being replaced because it doesn’t function well (mileage difference does NOT mean a design flaw). I saw something similar in a recent Car and Driver review of a BMW 3 suv, GV70 and RX350…the article implied the Lexus was inferior because it didn’t perform in the same way as other two (even considering the harsh ride of the BMW). But the RX was designed for a different driving dynamic at which it excels; you could then say the BMW or GV were inferior because of ride and NVH. So it depends on application of designed parameters.

Toyota and others are using fours because their cheaper but can be modified with add ons, but it’s not because of technical or design flaws in the V6.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATL350:
bc6152 (05-13-22), LexFinally (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22 | 06:07 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

I wouldn’t be surprised if the redesigned ES had a turbo 4 cyl. After all, Lexus has to slowly condition people to accept EVs and hybrids. I would rather have a NA engine because turbos don’t last as long because they are under a lot of pressure. I don’t like the idea of a high hp producing 4 cyl engine under a lot of pressure. I’d rather have a lot of power evenly distributed across 6 cylinders. I agree that the whole turbo thing is also for marketing and mpg purposes. I’m glad I got my V6 when I did!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack1986:
ATL350 (05-12-22), bc6152 (05-13-22)
Old 05-12-22 | 06:47 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack1986
I wouldn’t be surprised if the redesigned ES had a turbo 4 cyl. After all, Lexus has to slowly condition people to accept EVs and hybrids. I would rather have a NA engine because turbos don’t last as long because they are under a lot of pressure. I don’t like the idea of a high hp producing 4 cyl engine under a lot of pressure. I’d rather have a lot of power evenly distributed across 6 cylinders. I agree that the whole turbo thing is also for marketing and mpg purposes. I’m glad I got my V6 when I did!
I’m also glad that I grabbed 2 V6 vehicles too. I don’t like the 4 anemic cylinder engine.
Old 05-15-22 | 07:36 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

From a reliability standpoint the Turbo is definitely not desirable!
The following 2 users liked this post by carsareus:
ATL350 (05-15-22), Jack1986 (05-15-22)
Old 05-16-22 | 07:43 AM
Turbo6TA
3rd Gear

With the majority of new vehicles now coming with the 4-banger engines (to be soon replaced by all electric) ... it just gives me more reason to keep my 6.2L V8 engine Corvette until it gets so old that the wheels fall off of it or I die of old age !

2023 ES - V6 to be replaced with a four-turbo?-kzyodat.jpg

Turning gasoline into noise and tire smoke !

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-30-22 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 2023 ES - V6 to be replaced with a four-turbo?