ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2023 ES - V6 to be replaced with a four-turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-22 | 01:43 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack1986
I wouldn’t be surprised if the redesigned ES had a turbo 4 cyl. After all, Lexus has to slowly condition people to accept EVs and hybrids. I would rather have a NA engine because turbos don’t last as long because they are under a lot of pressure. I don’t like the idea of a high hp producing 4 cyl engine under a lot of pressure. I’d rather have a lot of power evenly distributed across 6 cylinders. I agree that the whole turbo thing is also for marketing and mpg purposes. I’m glad I got my V6 when I did!
I feel the same way about the 4 cylinder turbo engine.
The following users liked this post:
Jack1986 (05-26-22)
Old 05-26-22 | 03:04 PM
mikamica
Rookie

When comparing the 2.0 Turbo in my RDX to my ES V6 and Accord V6, the turbo has more low and mid-range torque but falls off fairly quickly on the top end. The V6 has a very linear response and pulls harder throughout the rev range. I like the smoothness of the V6 but the 2.0T can be fun driving around town and backroads. I can't say that I prefer one over the other because I enjoy the difference in their "personalities." I am inclined to believe that the V6s will have more longevity, especially since direct injection with the turbo 4s can lead to oil dilution. I'm sure I'll also end up with an EV at some point and will enjoy that too.
Old 05-26-22 | 03:24 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikamica
When comparing the 2.0 Turbo in my RDX to my ES V6 and Accord V6, the turbo has more low and mid-range torque but falls off fairly quickly on the top end. The V6 has a very linear response and pulls harder throughout the rev range. I like the smoothness of the V6 but the 2.0T can be fun driving around town and backroads. I can't say that I prefer one over the other because I enjoy the difference in their "personalities." I am inclined to believe that the V6s will have more longevity, especially since direct injection with the turbo 4s can lead to oil dilution. I'm sure I'll also end up with an EV at some point and will enjoy that too.
Others in here may differ on this, but I believe that EV's will take the fun out of driving. The ICE has benefits like that rev and that powerful engine sound when driving. The EV's can't do that.
Old 05-26-22 | 03:30 PM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by glamglam
What years, makes and models do the 5 people in your extended family own that have the 4 cylinder turbo engine?
GS and NX, 2016-2020
Old 05-26-22 | 03:37 PM
mikamica
Rookie

As much as I love the sound of a roaring V8 I can also see enjoying 0-60 times of less than 4 seconds and the instantaneous torque of an EV. I don't think you have to give up one for the other, as long as they don't eliminate gasoline altogether. I believe that a true automotive enthusiast enjoys all types of vehicles and modes of power delivery. If I had my choice I would have a 60s musclecar, my ES, a new F-150 Lightning pickup, an Audi E-tron GT and a Porsche 911 Turbo. Since I'm not rich I'll just have to dream.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikamica:
GS350Miami (05-27-22), LexFinally (05-26-22)
Old 05-26-22 | 04:49 PM
LexFinally
Racer

I believe that a true automotive enthusiast enjoys all types of vehicles and modes of power delivery.
While I think an open mind is valuable, I can't bring myself to be quite that ecumenical. I don't burn with ambition to check out a Detroit cute-ute "powered" by three vibrating cylinders, or to lurch down the street in a smoke-spewing '63 Trabant. I'd rather have acceleration than lack it, but I'd also rather have smoothness than roughness and hear harmonious tones instead of gritty ones.

Last edited by LexFinally; 05-27-22 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-26-22 | 07:32 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jack1986
My last car was a 1.5 Accord. To me the ES 350 isn’t much faster in eco mode than my Accord was in eco… but maybe that’s because I’ve been driving my car gently because it isn’t broken in yet. So far it seems like the 3.5 doesn’t have much low end torque and really picks up when you give it gas. Of course the ES is faster than the Accord when you give it full throttle 😁
I traded in a Honda Accord sport 1.5 L turbo for my F sport and I can tell you 100% for sure the V-6 has much more power. I was running the Ktuner stage 2 tune on my 1.5 L and while that definitely woke the car up and it felt really strong from 0 to 30 mph it has nothing on the V6 in the F sport. Well except for the gas mileage that car could pull down 27 mpg in the city…lol.. You need to throw the ES in sport mode and put your foot in it to feel what the car can do. It really starts to make power around 3500 RPM and starts to sing a really nice note around 5000 RPMs. And the ES 350 really likes to roll down the highway at about 80 miles an hour and still has plenty of passing power at that speed.
Jack1986 (05-27-22)
Old 05-26-22 | 07:37 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

As much as I love the sound of a roaring V8 I can also see enjoying 0-60 times of less than 4 seconds and the instantaneous torque of an EV. I don't think you have to give up one for the other, as long as they don't eliminate gasoline altogether. I believe that a true automotive enthusiast enjoys all types of vehicles and modes of power delivery. If I had my choice I would have a 60s musclecar, my ES, a new F-150 Lightning pickup, an Audi E-tron GT and a Porsche 911 Turbo. Since I'm not rich I'll just have to dream.
I agree. I consider myself an automotive enthusiast and can appreciate all kinds of cars… but what sucks is we’re about to be forced to buy only one type of vehicle when EVs take over.
Old 05-26-22 | 07:40 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
I've owned two turbo engines. They absolutely suck and given the choice I would pick NA over turbo every single time. Who wants lag off the line and uneven power delivery? Hybridize everything so you have good off-the-line grunt and top end gas power and you have the best of both worlds and good MPG.

Turbos don't exist in 2022 so much for power as they do for emissions and fuel economy reasons. Drive turbos nice and you can get good MPG. Drive hard and you may as well have a bigger thirsty engine.
I don’t know how old these turbo engines you owned were but the new turbo fours today have very little to no lag and usually build max torque around 1500 RPMs. They can really be quite satisfying to drive in the right package like the Volkswagen Golf R.
Old 05-27-22 | 06:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dallas250
I traded in a Honda Accord sport 1.5 L turbo for my F sport and I can tell you 100% for sure the V-6 has much more power. I was running the Ktuner stage 2 tune on my 1.5 L and while that definitely woke the car up and it felt really strong from 0 to 30 mph it has nothing on the V6 in the F sport. Well except for the gas mileage that car could pull down 27 mpg in the city…lol.. You need to throw the ES in sport mode and put your foot in it to feel what the car can do. It really starts to make power around 3500 RPM and starts to sing a really nice note around 5000 RPMs. And the ES 350 really likes to roll down the highway at about 80 miles an hour and still has plenty of passing power at that speed.
For sure and not even debatable.
Old 05-27-22 | 06:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I don’t know how old these turbo engines you owned were but the new turbo fours today have very little to no lag and usually build max torque around 1500 RPMs. They can really be quite satisfying to drive in the right package like the Volkswagen Golf R.
VW/Audi and BMW arguably have the best 2 0t's . As these engines continue to become more widespread from other manufacturers they'll continue improving. I still like having a choice between one of these and a V6.
Jack1986 (05-27-22)
Old 05-27-22 | 06:59 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

I was mainly comparing the Eco mode in both cars but I probably spoke too soon because I haven’t had a chance to drive it aggressively in eco since I only have 500 miles on it and I’m letting it break in. I think I’m gonna start driving it in Normal mode now that I have 500 miles on it to further help with the break in process. There’s no doubt the ES is faster because I test drove a 21 before I bought my car and really put my foot into it. I hear ya on the Accord 1.5 gas mileage. I was getting 29 mpg because I do 95% city driving. That’s the only thing I really miss about my Accord compared to my ES.
Old 05-27-22 | 08:14 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by BMGS
The current generation 4cyl turbo has been around since 2015. There are 5 in my extended family, including two that I own and we drive every day. There are no issues to report in any of them.
I believe that. Building a 4-cylinder turbo isn't rocket surgery for a modern automaker. If you're not Korean, you can get it right (VW/Audi water pumps excepted). Owners just have to be diligent about their oil changes.
Old 05-28-22 | 02:15 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I believe that. Building a 4-cylinder turbo isn't rocket surgery for a modern automaker. If you're not Korean, you can get it right (VW/Audi water pumps excepted). Owners just have to be diligent about their oil changes.
Exactly, its not like its anything new. My first car was a 95 Volvo 850 Turbo with a I-5 Turbo that made it to 171,000 miles WITH mods to 400-500hp such as a larger turbo and nitrous. Engine was still good, the transmission went. There are plenty of reliable examples in prior decades as well (such as the various Volvo/Audi/Saab I-4 and I-5s) although not all were kings of performance.

The innovation of 6, then 8-10 speed transmissions really helped to keep the smaller turbo engines in their peak torque band to provide a great driving experience. The Volvo with the 4 speed back in 95 wasn't always in the right spot due to the limited ratio choices. With more gears, car makers can also install a lower geared differential for more torque to the ground without the gas mileage penalty in overdrive.

Last edited by BMGS; 05-28-22 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-29-22 | 05:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Folks reminder of our rules to leave the politics and debate topics entirely off of Club Lexus. Posts removed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...les#faq_debate
Prohibited Topics - Debate and Politics
Additionally, the following discussion topics are prohibited on Club Lexus in new threads or replies to existing threads:

• Discussions or comments on politics.
• Discussions or comments about politicians or political parties.
• Discussions or comments about religion.
• Discussions or comments about emotionally charged debate topics such as abortion, gun control, race relations, etc.

Quick Reply: 2023 ES - V6 to be replaced with a four-turbo?