ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Learning to hate traction control

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 09:04 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts
Default Learning to hate traction control

I used to agree with the criticism of the two "goat horn" control stalks atop the gauge cluster, that giving such a prominent placement to the traction control button in particular was silly because nobody ever shuts off the traction control. Now I've begun to change my mind.

If you watch Savagegeese's YouTube test of the ES 350 (I think it's the 2019 "Smooth Operator" video), Geese tries a standing-start acceleration run. A few seconds in, you hear the engine audibly cut out as he leans forward, stares at the gauge cluster and just starts giggling maniacally. In the comments section, he explains that his reaction was because the traction control responded to wheelspin by completely shutting down the power for two seconds, which in that situation is an eternity.

I've since had the same thing happen to me more than once. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake, but it finally occurred to me: Would I get more traction without traction control than with it? On dry days recently, I've shut it off and tried to accelerate at low speeds. The short answer is Yes. No computer intervention, no spastic lurching, no abrupt shutdown of power. Just a little amusing wheelspin and gobs of uninterrupted acceleration.

Now, I'll still leave it on as a safety feature in any kind of inclement conditions. But in the dry, I'm quickly becoming convinced the traction control is worse than nothing and the car is far more entertaining and obedient without it.

One curiosity question in case anyone here can answer it: Even with traction control switched off, when I spin the tires, I still see the Traction Control light briefly flicker on in the gauge cluster. I wonder if this feature, like the bogus paddle shifters, isn't fully enabled and if a reduced version of traction control stays on even when it's switched "off." That would be a very Toyota/Lexus thing to do.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (05-13-22)
Old 05-12-22, 09:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

that's the thing with 300hp fwd. you get a lot of "entertainment" when you take off. lol

the michelins on my hybrid squeal and peel off when i accelerate. i can only imagine what 300hp does..
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22, 09:17 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
that's the thing with 300hp fwd. you get a lot of "entertainment" when you take off. lol
Yep. I'm coming in from 290 hp and torque-vectoring AWD, so I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. :.D
Old 05-12-22, 12:37 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Now, I'll still leave it on as a safety feature in any kind of inclement conditions. But in the dry, I'm quickly becoming convinced the traction control is worse than nothing and the car is far more entertaining and obedient without it.
If you haven't done so already I suggest reading up on the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) and TRAC (Traction Control) systems and their operation in the ES 350 Owner's Manual (most of the info is located on page 247 of the 2022 model year pdf version). The VSC switch controls both the VSC and the TRAC systems. A short press of the switch just temporarily turns off the TRAC system but it will be automatically turned on again as vehicle speed increases. Pressing and holding the switch for 3 seconds turns off both systems and neither will automatically reengage short of an engine restart.

Also be aware that turning off those systems also effects some of the operations of the Lexus Safety System - namely the Pre-Collision System will be reduced to providing only a dash warning light and MID warning message. (I have a vague thought there may be more effects than that but it would require a time consuming close reading of the Owner's Manual to provide anything useful.)

Originally Posted by LexFinally
...One curiosity question in case anyone here can answer it: Even with traction control switched off, when I spin the tires, I still see the Traction Control light briefly flicker on in the gauge cluster. I wonder if this feature, like the bogus paddle shifters, isn't fully enabled and if a reduced version of traction control stays on even when it's switched "off." That would be a very Toyota/Lexus thing to do.
In the Owner's manual the term "Slip indicator" is used instead of traction control light because the indicator light is tied to the operation of the TRAC, VSC, and hill-start assist control systems (see page 357 of the 2022 model year pdf manual version). So, to provide a semi-intelligent speculative answer one would need to know the specific details under which the brief indicator flickering is occurring. Assuming there's no gremlin glitch system trouble and the TRAC is truly off (i.e., not assumed off but really on do to an automatic speed induced reengagement), you may be temporarily creating a slipping condition that falls within the triggering parameters of the other still engaged systems.
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
ATL350 (05-14-22), LexFinally (05-13-22)