ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Loan Cars when the ES is on Service or Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 05:12 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm definitely not ready for the world of touch screens only. All the fingerprints on that screen looks disgusting.
The following 2 users liked this post by babaijebu:
landonm86 (06-10-22), stevewise (05-14-22)
Old 05-14-22, 05:29 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewise
May 2022 saw the ES have its first service day. The loaner was a UX250h Takumi. It bugs me that 1 year of mileage at 6600 still needs an interim service (10k miles). Anyway, I spent a day in the UX advertising the Lexus 22 plate event - a there and back only gig. For a £43k car I don’t personally rate it. This one had all the toys as I have in my ES300h F Sport with Takumi pack. My F Sport was also £43k list price when I got it in May last year.

UX Pros

drives like a (sluggish) go cart compared to my boat.

The amount of time the car jumps in and out of EV - even on the motorway - was getting 49mpg.

ML Sounds - see also Cons.

Apple Car Play / Android Auto

USBs in the centre console

Head Up Display - very clear and displays more than you can get the ES to display.

UX Cons

I am used to the F Sport moving dial dash layout - the fixed dash pod layout seems cluttered but I am probably biased - it’s clear to read.

Small and shallow boot. How can this car be called a small SUV - just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Rear legroom - I’m 5’10, my knees are in the back of the front seat.

Cup holders don’t hold a red bull can tightly once it’s open - coke cans are not much better.

With a white leather interior - for a 21 plate with low mileage the white interior gets grubby really quick - particularly around touch points on the doors - the white is ingrained with, well crap off peoples hands - it wasn’t minging, but you know it looked like someone has cleaned it but not all marks would come off.

Crap cloth parcel shelf.

Sluggish compared to my ES - 300h dropping to a 250h (2.5l to 2.0l) is a huge difference despite comparing a large saloon to a small SUV

ML Sound - I usually use Tidal Masters in the ES at Vol 40 on the motorways. In the ES you can feel the bass in the back of the seat, in the UX the door cards are trying to jump off the doors and I cannot seen out of the rear view mirror as it’s vibrating into next week.

Multimedia Screen - it’s physically the same size as the ES but looks a lot smaller than the ES 12 inch screen - may be a different resolution?

Top of the dash - not sure what material it is but it’s odd

The air con buttons seem non intuitive at first to use

Window and steering wheel buttons a bit plasticky - similar to the 68/69 plate ES.

Windscreen wipers - passenger side - lots of travel for such a small blade

Sunroof - with the manual cover back the glass isn’t tinted like on the ES F Sport - it lets a load of glare in where it’s not wanted. Also found it odd when sliding open, it sits above the roof waiting for a stone to shatter it. It also doesn’t open as fully as the ES.

In all, I missed the boat for a day, and despite the ES being a ***** to park due to turning circle and length I think I’ve been spoilt having an ES since a 69 plate.

Also saw an NX450h plug in in the showroom - the screen is massive but the first thing that went through my head was “how you gonna get all the finger prints off that”.

Pics below of the UX Go Cart, plus 2 of my boat. I think once you’ve had an ES for a while it’s easily missed when jumping into a different Lexus model especially when you miss half the toys on your own model. The ES came back from service needing a new rear tyre (screw in side wall not repairable) and needs to go back in for a rattle that’s been developing since 1500 miles at roof level.

I’m sure the UX is right for some but it’s not really my thing.

Like you said, the UX is a go cart that’s nothing special. I have no clue why people are so excited about the UX and NX. Both are very small and underpowered and very ugly too.
Keep your ES. It’s a much nicer looking car than the UX and NX and more roomy too.
The following users liked this post:
stevewise (05-14-22)
Old 05-14-22, 09:11 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

And of course, GlamGlam, you had to quote the entire post with the already overly-extensive pictures, then offer your pearls of wisdom;

"no clue why people are so excited about the UX and NX. Both are very small and underpowered and very ugly too."
The following 3 users liked this post by LeeSoFL:
DavidZ (05-14-22), LexFinally (05-14-22), stevewise (06-11-22)
Old 05-14-22, 09:41 AM
glamglam
Instructor

LeeSoFl,
I’m sorry, but the UX just looks like a hunchback vehicle. It just doesn’t look nice like the ES does.
stevewise (05-17-22)
Old 05-14-22, 11:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
LeeSoFl,
I’m sorry, but the UX just looks like a hunchback vehicle. It just doesn’t look nice like the ES does.
Its all subjective Glam. I too prefer a sedan and the looks of the ES but the NX is a popular choice many folks love. UX not so much - I don't think it has sold well.
stevewise (06-11-22)
Old 05-14-22, 02:16 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Its all subjective Glam. I too prefer a sedan and the looks of the ES but the NX is a popular choice many folks love. UX not so much - I don't think it has sold well.
According to Carsalesbase statistics, 2021 US UX sales was 17.581 and 2021 US NX sales was 58.514. In comparison, the US 2021 ES sales of 45.406 was closer to being in the NX sales range popularity bin than the UX's.
Old 05-14-22, 04:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grp52
According to Carsalesbase statistics, 2021 US UX sales was 17.581 and 2021 US NX sales was 58.514. In comparison, the US 2021 ES sales of 45.406 was closer to being in the NX sales range popularity bin than the UX's.
As I suspected.
Old 05-17-22, 12:29 PM
stevewise
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That NX steering wheel looks mighty thick.
it’s thicker than the ES300h steering wheel but not by much
Old 06-09-22, 10:57 PM
IsaSmith
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am glad I found your post. I want to know about loan cars when the ES is on service or repair and I was searching for information online regarding this. Thanks all for giving me your suggestions. I also found the https://fitmymoney.com/need-money-now/ website where I found all the information regarding loans. It is my first time taking a loan and that is why I was worried but after finding that website, I found my all questions answers.

Last edited by IsaSmith; 06-15-22 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-10-22, 02:51 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

When I brought my ES in to fix a few things they loaned me an RX 350. Hated it. It was loud, transmission was slow, felt dated, and I hate the driving position/height of SUVs. I can see why they're so popular and have sold very well, but it's not a vehicle I'd ever consider owning. I was surprised that my ES with F Sport wheels and tires drove over the road way smoother than the RX with the bigger tires, the RX just didn't absorb the bumps as well.

Last edited by dezymond; 06-10-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-10-22, 02:57 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dezymond
When I brought my ES in to fix a few things they loaned me an RX 350. Hated it. It was loud, slow, felt dated, and I hate the driving position/height of SUVs. I can see why they're so popular and have sold very well, but it's not a vehicle I'd ever consider owning. I was surprised that my ES F Sport drove over the road way smoother than the RX with the bigger tires, the RX just didn't absorb the bumps as well.
my wife has an RX which I drive often. Apples and oranges. The RX is a comfy highway cruiser. I prefer a sedan as well but based on sales numbers, we are the minority.
Old 06-10-22, 03:37 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
When I brought my ES in to fix a few things they loaned me an RX 350. Hated it. It was loud, transmission was slow, felt dated, and I hate the driving position/height of SUVs. I can see why they're so popular and have sold very well, but it's not a vehicle I'd ever consider owning. I was surprised that my ES with F Sport wheels and tires drove over the road way smoother than the RX with the bigger tires, the RX just didn't absorb the bumps as well.
I had a RX350 as a loaner for the afternoon and couldn't believe how normal people put up with idling, shifting, and gas guzzling.
Old 06-10-22, 03:59 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

my wife has an RX which I drive often. Apples and oranges. The RX is a comfy highway cruiser. I prefer a sedan as well but based on sales numbers, we are the minority.
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand why it's a popular choice. I feel the ES handles the highway better though, but perhaps that's my bias and still being in the "honeymoon phase". I suppose on rougher roads the RX would be more comfortable, but I'm not a fan of the RX overall.

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
I had a RX350 as a loaner for the afternoon and couldn't believe how normal people put up with idling, shifting, and gas guzzling.
Yeah I was also surprised that it didn't have engine start/stop, which I'm glad, but surprised as its offered on all the competition. Either way it was a much noisier experience than my 300h. Overall it just wasn't a smooth vehicle; felt the gear changes, vibration at idle, the power didn't feel linear and it would just surge especially once the engine/throttle was out of eco mode. It felt incredibly heavy too. Just not an impressive ride overall to me.

I went in with low expectations, but I expected a much smoother ride. I was happy as can be back in my car the next day.
Old 06-10-22, 08:08 PM
glamglam
Instructor

The RX350 drives like a truck while the ES drives like a luxury sedan. There’s definitely a big difference between the two. The ES is a better vehicle for the road and highway while the RX is more of a utility vehicle for rougher roads.
Old 06-11-22, 06:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by glamglam
The RX350 drives like a truck while the ES drives like a luxury sedan. There’s definitely a big difference between the two. The ES is a better vehicle for the road and highway while the RX is more of a utility vehicle for rougher roads.
The RX is the furthest thing from a truck. I suspect you've not driven one. It is a family cruiser that provides a buttery smooth highway ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dezymond (06-11-22), signdetres (06-13-22)

Quick Reply: Loan Cars when the ES is on Service or Repair