ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Considering 2022 ES300H f Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 01:05 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by daoism76
So one dealership has one coming on 5/21 with the color combo(white/red) I wanted. Is it possible to negotiate all the details through email before going in to sign? I hate spending time at the dealership going back and forth. I looked over the spec sheet it doesn't look like it has tint. Can I add tint as part of negotiation? how much does dealer charges for tint? I don't want to make a separate trip to get it tinted at a tint shop. Can they figure out monthly payment? In the past I have always paid the car in cash but this time I want to conserve cash to buy stocks in this down market. Will my credit score have any effect on rate? or will it be a same rate for everyone? my score is in the low 800 if that matters. Thanks in advance
Amateur answers while you wait for smarter ones:
•It is absolutely possible to negotiate all the details through email before you go in to sign; I did. It's purely a matter of whether the dealer cooperates or not.

•You can add tint as part of the negotiation, although I suggest you get an aftermarket tint price from a reputable shop even though you don't intend to go that route; the dealer doesn't need to know that. Make them match the price so you know you're not being ripped off.

•Yes, they will be more than happy to figure out the monthly payment for you. The most important thing I'll tell you on any subject in this post: DO NOT NEGOTIATE THE DEAL ON THE BASIS OF THE MONTHLY PAYMENT. Negotiate the price, then the interest rate, and ONLY THEN adjust the duration of the loan to get the monthly payment you need. In fact, don't even mention your montnly payment needs until both the first two items have been agreed to. Otherwise you will assuredly be fleeced.

•Your credit score will affect your rate, and your score is excellent, so you should qualify for any promo rate that's out there. If you don't like the dealer's rate, talk to a credit union. In fact, if you want to go in fully prepared, negotiate a rate through a credit union in advance and make the dealer meet or beat their rate.

Happy hunting!
The following 4 users liked this post by LexFinally:
FreddyG (07-10-22), geost (05-18-22), TechNut (05-17-22), UltraLux22 (05-16-22)
Old 05-16-22, 01:42 PM
daoism76
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
•It is absolutely possible to negotiate all the details through email before you go in to sign; I did. It's purely a matter of whether the dealer cooperates or not.

•You can add tint as part of the negotiation, although I suggest you get an aftermarket tint price from a reputable shop even though you don't intend to go that route; the dealer doesn't need to know that. Make them match the price so you know you're not being ripped off.

•Yes, they will be more than happy to figure out the monthly payment for you. The most important thing I'll tell you on any subject in this post: DO NOT NEGOTIATE THE DEAL ON THE BASIS OF THE MONTHLY PAYMENT. Negotiate the price, then the interest rate, and ONLY THEN adjust the duration of the loan to get the monthly payment you need. In fact, don't even mention your montnly payment needs until both the first two items have been agreed to. Otherwise you will assuredly be fleeced.

•Your credit score will affect your rate, and your score is excellent, so you should qualify for any promo rate that's out there. If you don't like the dealer's rate, talk to a credit union. In fact, if you want to go in fully prepared, negotiate a rate through a credit union in advance and make the dealer meet or beat their rate.

Happy hunting!
Great advise. Much appreciated. They have another white/red combo with same specs coming in July 20th. I may start the negotiation for that car instead. Don't want feel rushed lol
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (05-16-22)
Old 05-16-22, 07:32 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

Great advise. Much appreciated. They have another white/red combo with same specs coming in July 20th. I may start the negotiation for that car instead. Don't want feel rushed lol
You may even get to have some options changed if it's not too late. Assuming you want some options added or removed.
Old 05-16-22, 09:06 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

I agree with what LexFinally has said. I will reinforce what is already really good advice and add my thoughts.

I personally only use this method.
I would not step foot on the lot until the figures are agreed upon, unless it is to test drive the car. Even then do not be swayed by the sales rep. to talk about the financials or to 'come in' to talk. That is a tactic they will try but YOU are in control, not them! If a dealer is less cooperative with this method, I would move on. You will find this is more common these days due to market conditions and vehicle scarcity.
Good suggestion.
It's quite possible they will gladly include this as part of your deal, but in this market, have realistic expectations. I wouldn't expect any leverage with a discount as in times past. It was quite common to 'seal the deal' by asking the dealer to throw in tinting for free. The dealer knows they can sell this car in a heartbeat. In fact, they will likely have this car sold before it ever hits the lot. (Hopefully to you!) A 300h F-sport is less common than most other trims so don't be surprised if there is a market adjustment. My point is manage expectations and don't walk away if they don't agree to add this in or eat the cost. You might be better off to have it done after the fact. It NEVER hurts to ask but just realize that in this market, the dealers are not as likely to cave as in years past. That goes especially for this trim. That being said, you can't get what you don't ask for!
•Yes, they will be more than happy to figure out the monthly payment for you. The most important thing I'll tell you on any subject in this post: DO NOT NEGOTIATE THE DEAL ON THE BASIS OF THE MONTHLY PAYMENT. Negotiate the price, then the interest rate, and ONLY THEN adjust the duration of the loan to get the monthly payment you need. In fact, don't even mention your monthly payment needs until both the first two items have been agreed to. Otherwise you will assuredly be fleeced.
#1 advice
This is the most important advice you could be given and should follow. I'll just add on to what he said above. DO NOT negotiate based on monthly pymt. When they ask about the monthly and they will, redirect to the selling price of the vehicle only! If you have a vehicle that you would normally trade, DO NOT include it as part of the negotiation. This could allow for what I like to refer to as 'creative maneuvering' of the financials. In fact I recommend in most get quotes from a 3rd party like Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, etc. It's not as daunting as it may sound. I've sold 4 vehicles, all new, in the last 2 years and ALWAYS have received higher payouts than when getting quotes from dealer for a trade. If on the off chance the dealer can beat their prices, still do not include it UNTIL AFTER you have reached the final selling price. ALWAYS negotiate the selling price first before any discounts and rebates/incentives. This is regardless of whether you intend to lease or purchase.
Your score should be high enough to qualify for Tier 1 credit. Keep in mind that your automotive-weighted score places more emphasis on your payment history with auto loans and leases and may differ from your regular FICO score. However, it's unlikely your payment history would be poor with the score you mentioned. You should definitely check rates and credit unions are probably the next best option if you have a credit union with special auto programs. The dealer won't have flexibility to negotiate rates with LFS as those rates are set. However, LFS often has better promo rates for certain models and trims but they do vary based on region. Currently in Texas, the ES 300h F-Sport has 2.99% APR for 60 months that is good through 5/31/22. After that the program will either be extended, revised, or removed. There is also no way for a dealer to tell you what program will be available for the month you take delivery including incentives/rebates. So if you are scheduled to take delivery in July you would have to wait until the vehicle arrives in order to be locked-in for a rate program including incentives. Even if you are scheduled for July delivery and there is a delay, rates and incentives could change if the program changes the next month.

Summary- Having options is never a bad thing. Know what's available to find what's right for you.
Try to test out the cars you are interested in on a separate day for an extended period if possible. Test out various trims to get a sense of their differences. Make sure it's what you really want.
Know before you go. Have your details hammered out before heading to the dealership to avoid extra stress and to save time.

Finally, relax and enjoy the process.
LexFinally (05-17-22)
Old 05-17-22, 06:52 AM
daoism76
Rookie

Originally Posted by dezymond
You may even get to have some options changed if it's not too late. Assuming you want some options added or removed.
Thanks. I was not aware that we can add/remove options. There are options that I don't need. When I build it online ML sound was not an option. This is the options I wanted with ML sound that i was not able to add online. Do you think dealer can order my build and add ML sound to it? I know I may be asking too much lol

Old 05-17-22, 07:25 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

Thanks. I was not aware that we can add/remove options. There are options that I don't need. When I build it online ML sound was not an option. This is the options I wanted with ML sound that i was not able to add online. Do you think dealer can order my build and add ML sound to it? I know I may be asking too much lol
It's possible but not guaranteed. To not get overcomplicated with an explanation, ask your sales rep or cut to the chase and request a sales manager or GSM. There is a small window of opportunity to potentially have some modifications to the order. I'd reach out ASAP.

Unfortunately as for ML sound, it's not an option on the 300h F Sport. The preproduction reviews all said it would be an option but I guess Lexus opted not to offer the ML package in the F Sport, which is a disappointment. I was wanting the ML package as well.

Side note: Are you not interested in the perforated F Sport steering wheel? Yeah it's $180 with the extra heated functions but if you're looking to add perforated wheel later, it'll be more than $180 without the heated features.

Last edited by dezymond; 05-17-22 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 08:59 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Unfortunately as for ML sound, it's not an option on the 300h F Sport. The preproduction reviews all said it would be an option but I guess Lexus opted not to offer the ML package in the F Sport, which is a disappointment. I was wanting the ML package as well.
I'm amazed to hear that. I had no idea. (Not to discourage OP, because we've heard on this board that the standard Pioneer system has been improved from 2019 and is now perfectly decent.)
Old 05-17-22, 09:09 AM
daoism76
Rookie

It's possible but not guaranteed. To not get overcomplicated with an explanation, ask your sales rep or cut to the chase and request a sales manager or GSM. There is a small window of opportunity to potentially have some modifications to the order. I'd reach out ASAP.

Side note: Are you not interested in the perforated F Sport steering wheel? Yeah it's $180 with the extra heated functions but if you're looking to add perforated wheel later, it'll be more than $180 without the heated features.
Good idea, I'll add the perforated wheel since it's only $180
Old 05-17-22, 09:13 AM
daoism76
Rookie

I'm amazed to hear that. I had no idea. (Not to discourage OP, because we've heard on this board that the standard Pioneer system has been improved from 2019 and is now perfectly decent.)
I thought it was weird I was not able to add ML to the build online. How is the stock sound system?
Old 05-17-22, 10:46 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Unlike Toyota which operates on a monthly, turn and burn cycle, for allocating vehicles, Lexus allocates vehicles on a quarterly basis. If you are already aware of this vehicle and depending on when it was allocated or presented to the dealer, there is a VERY short window. Each vehicle is spec'd out similar to a template and if you already have a v-spec sheet like the one you already presented, it's unlikely that you would be able to modify the vehicle. You must find out and request NOW if possible any modifications but be prepared to put down a deposit. It's likely too late but you can always ask. I would bypass the sales rep and go straight to the GSM or Sales manager as dezymond has mentioned. If you search the threads for my post about dealer fulfillment and allocation you can get a more comprehensive idea of the process. But DO NOT wait because time is not on your side.
Old 05-17-22, 10:50 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I posted a while back, but I can't remember which thread, a comprehensive list of options that are available and not available on each trim. I'd look and try to find it myself but I'll say I think it was in one of the special order threads. Just goes to show how long-winded I can be that I can't remember!
Old 05-17-22, 11:10 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I'm 99.9% sure the 300h F sport white/red you are looking at already has a sale pending. Sterling McCall, correct? Did a sales person tell you about an incoming vehicle for July?
Old 05-17-22, 02:37 PM
daoism76
Rookie

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I'm 99.9% sure the 300h F sport white/red you are looking at already has a sale pending. Sterling McCall, correct? Did a sales person tell you about an incoming vehicle for July?
This was Lexus of Clear Lake. They asked if I wanted the one coming on 5/23 Im guessing that was not sold yet. They told me another one was coming in July. The one I build online they said it won't be in until oct or later. My current car still runs well I don't need the new car in July. I'll just wait until oct to get the exact specs I want. Going to put deposit down once they get the final ok from the manager. Oh they add $700 caltex/resisto to every car I asked them not to include it. Do i really need it? other Lexus dealership did not add caltex.....

Last edited by daoism76; 05-17-22 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-17-22, 04:03 PM
LexFinally
Racer

This was Lexus of Clear Lake. They asked if I wanted the one coming on 5/23 Im guessing that was not sold yet. They told me another one was coming in July. The one I build online they said it won't be in until oct or later. My current car still runs well I don't need the new car in July. I'll just wait until oct to get the exact specs I want. Going to put deposit down once they get the final ok from the manager. Oh they add $700 caltex/resisto to every car I asked them not to include it. Do i really need it? other Lexus dealership did not add caltex.....
No, you don't need it. Just think of it as a thinly disguised $700 markup over MSRP. Dealers all over the country are doing stuff like this on all makes, with varying dollar amounts. I frankly don't know why they bother to pretend they're selling you something rather than just marking up the car, but I guess the fact we're having this conversation rather than just saying "and they're marking up every car by $700" is the answer to the question.
UltraLux22 (05-17-22)
Old 05-17-22, 05:05 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

No, you don't need it. Just think of it as a thinly disguised $700 markup over MSRP. Dealers all over the country are doing stuff like this on all makes, with varying dollar amounts. I frankly don't know why they bother to pretend they're selling you something rather than just marking up the car, but I guess the fact we're having this conversation rather than just saying "and they're marking up every car by $700" is the answer to the question.
Yep! Even though they won’t call it a Market Adjustment, the fact that they are including it on every car allows them to accomplish the same goal but without the ‘appearance’ of doing so! Manufacturers don’t like their dealers charging above MSRP. This is one way for them to circumvent that.
LexFinally (05-18-22)

Quick Reply: Considering 2022 ES300H f Sport