ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 08:10 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Squeaky brakes

Has anyone noticed your brakes making noise like in parking lot situation or areas we are easing up slowly in a drive-through?
Old 05-15-22, 12:37 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Only brake shift, and it is bothering me.
Old 05-16-22, 08:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Describe the noise. Do you mean a brake scrubbing sound as pressure is released and car moves? Normal.

Brakes are highly standardized and work samey whether you drive a $8,000 kia or an $800,000 Rolls Royce. there's hardly any art or secret to them when it comes to the core function and design. The brakes on the ES are all samey/standard as with camry etc so they're using the most robust vanilla generic super reliable design & conservative spec'd parts. so there's a 99.999999999% chance whatever noise you are hearing is just normal brake stuff.
Old 05-16-22, 09:26 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

That is not exactly true. Every single Toyota product that I drove had this problem with the pad shift, and I get it that the Yaris is the cheapest and who cares but to hear that noise in a 54000 dolar car is not OK.
The problem is the play of the pads, the fittings are not able to hold the pad and it shifts up and down.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (05-16-22)
Old 05-16-22, 09:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Nah. every car i've encountered makes brake noises of some sort. whether it's a bicycle or a $100,000 BMW. they all have grabby things (pads) that grab onto large metal things (discs) that have tolerance built into them so they'll occasionally click. I've written various lengthy articles on brakes everything from high energy track cars to civilian kias. mankind has not figured out how to make brakes completely silent. they all are very crude in nature in terms of how they work and aren't terribly precise. by nature of how they work (they grab stuff) that alone emits a certain level of noise. then you start getting into deposit accumulation etc. too much to explain for the average civilian here. i have a ton of experience in brakes. they just make noise at times, no matter what. a large spectrum of conditions & wear contribute to this.
Old 05-16-22, 09:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

also btw all brakes make noise as you come to a stop, most are just masked by the engine noise or other conditions, music etc. friction=noise. that alone will do it. then there's literally dozens of other conditions/situations on the spectrum. cars are just a very violent object by definition. very crude in how they work. engines are violent too. i've been saying this for about two decades.
Old 05-16-22, 09:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

people keep thinking they're sipping on champagne with the ES and it's supposed to be silent. 99% of the architecture (if not 100%) is shared w/ the camry. the most mass produced profit-inducing car the world has ever seen. for me the goal wasn't to get a ferrari or rolls royce, it was to get a less-cheaper appearing camry. LOL

just expect it's just another grocery getter. enjoy the ride--and the occasional noise/squeak/rattle =p
artbuc (05-17-22)
Old 05-16-22, 10:08 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
people keep thinking they're sipping on champagne with the ES and it's supposed to be silent. 99% of the architecture (if not 100%) is shared w/ the camry. the most mass produced profit-inducing car the world has ever seen. for me the goal wasn't to get a ferrari or rolls royce, it was to get a less-cheaper appearing camry. LOL

just expect it's just another grocery getter. enjoy the ride--and the occasional noise/squeak/rattle =p
I think I paid over 50 large for a car that has pedestrian genes but is carefully assembled, reliability tested, and stuffed with NVH suppression measures so that it's exceptional in those ways, even though it doesn't deliver high-end levels of handling precision or traction. In light of that, while I personally haven't heard untoward noises from my brakes, would I be displeased if I did? Hell yes.

About those noise levels: You've said elsewhere that there's nothing special about the ES's level of quietness, yet you imply here that its perfectly routine brake noises are more audible here than in other cars for some unstated reason. Which is it? Does it do a little bit right, or nothing right at all? For all your scholarship, I humbly suggest you'll be more disappointed than you apparently expect to be at the step down in comfort and quiet you'll experience when you move on from the ES into that $21k Maverick hybrid pickup truck you've cross-shopped.
Old 05-16-22, 10:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

Stop bursting our bubble from the champagne. This is a Rolls Royce forum in disguise The only noise I've heard from Lexus brakes was on my wife's RX after the dealer told me the pads were still fine and a month or so later, metal on metal True story.
Old 05-16-22, 10:56 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Stop bursting our bubble from the champagne. This is a Rolls Royce forum in disguise The only noise I've heard from Lexus brakes was on my wife's RX after the dealer told me the pads were still fine and a month or so later, metal on metal True story.
Pretty crappy dealer service, there.
Old 05-16-22, 10:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Pretty crappy dealer service, there.
UUUGGGHHH unconscionable. I fought them when they wouldn't cover the cost of the rotors. They finally caved in after checking the paper trail.
LexFinally (05-17-22)
Old 05-16-22, 11:52 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I think I paid over 50 large for a car.
I hear ya but 50 isn't large nowadays as according to KBB the new vehicle average transaction prices (ATPs) increased to $46,526 last month.
Old 05-17-22, 07:28 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

The noise that I have heard always occurs after stopping and then easing up slowly by releasing some of the brake pressure and then I get a very faint squeak. It’s definitely the pad rubbing the disc that gives off the squeak and I haven’t had a car where the brakes squeaked in years so I will definitely have a dealer look at it at the first service.
Old 05-17-22, 08:03 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Its probably the pad to hardware contact as the pads retract. I am fairly sure, based on my experience that the dealer (or likely the factory) does not apply lube to the pads and hardware. In most cases, that may work and it keeps the components cleaner but if there is a squeak, I would always try a generous coating of lube on the back of the pads, each shim and on the hardware. I like CRC Silaramic. I had a squeal recently that was instantly solved by the lube. The last entity to touch the brakes was the dealer for the CPO refurbish and there was no lube on the components. It was actually fine for two years until the noise started. It was nearly free and only took me 20 minutes per side. I park in a closed parking garage at work so I know that the brakes are very quiet and squeal free after that treatment.

Last edited by BMGS; 05-17-22 at 08:07 AM.
LexFinally (05-17-22)
Old 05-23-22, 05:31 AM
AndrewLWSN
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Never heard my brakes squeak after 3 years of ownership. It will however produce a humming noise when breaking at high speed (when taking an exit on a highway), which is pretty normal.

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes