ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Tire and Wheel Protection Plan advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-22, 06:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I think that this thread has probably reached exhaustion. The OP made up his mind long ago despite opinions and advice from other members. No matter what valid point is raised there's a counterpoint valid or not... 75 posts and going... So it looks to me like we're beating a dead horse here...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
arentz07 (05-24-22), nitroracer (05-24-22)
Old 05-24-22, 07:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Here is an example of when Lexus simply do not want to honor the OEM warranty, let alone an extended one.
I think you are probably right. Much like regular or premium gas threads this one most likely has run its course.
The following users liked this post:
nitroracer (05-24-22)
Old 05-24-22, 07:44 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I think that this thread has probably reached exhaustion. The OP made up his mind long ago despite opinions and advice from other members. No matter what valid point is raised there's a counterpoint valid or not... 75 posts and going... So it looks to me like we're beating a dead horse here...
The opinions and advice that have been given from all the members in here have been very much appreciated. Most of the members in here are very confident that all the electronics, sensors and computers in the ES350 are very high quality and that they never break or burn out. The problem that I have with this is that nobody in here can guarantee that none of the electronics, sensors, switches, relays, and computers will break down or stop working after the vehicle goes over 60,000+ miles and up to 150,000 miles. Nobody mentions that there’s a possibility that any of these items can break, burn out or stop working. Nobody has taken into account or even mentioned that electronic items are the first things to go on a Lexus than the engine or transmission. Nobody mentioned that things could break when a vehicle is driven many miles. I mean these items may last for many years, but there’s also the probability that some will break as the mileage is put on the vehicle. If these items were cheap to fix, there wouldn’t be any need to purchase the extended warranty. But they’re not cheap. The labor alone is expensive without the cost of the parts. I don’t know whether the members in here have thought about these things that I mention above. It’s easy to say that the extended warranty isn’t needed, but do you really know what the future holds for a vehicle that mileage will be put on and driven for 10 years? Logically speaking, I don’t think that you do know.
Old 05-24-22, 08:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
The opinions and advice that have been given from all the members in here have been very much appreciated. Most of the members in here are very confident that all the electronics, sensors and computers in the ES350 are very high quality and that they never break or burn out. The problem that I have with this is that nobody in here can guarantee that none of the electronics, sensors, switches, relays, and computers will break down or stop working after the vehicle goes over 60,000+ miles and up to 150,000 miles. Nobody mentions that there’s a possibility that any of these items can break, burn out or stop working. Nobody has taken into account or even mentioned that electronic items are the first things to go on a Lexus than the engine or transmission. Nobody mentioned that things could break when a vehicle is driven many miles. I mean these items may last for many years, but there’s also the probability that some will break as the mileage is put on the vehicle. If these items were cheap to fix, there wouldn’t be any need to purchase the extended warranty. But they’re not cheap. The labor alone is expensive without the cost of the parts. I don’t know whether the members in here have thought about these things that I mention above. It’s easy to say that the extended warranty isn’t needed, but do you really know what the future holds for a vehicle that mileage will be put on and driven for 10 years? Logically speaking, I don’t think that you do know.
It appears that you're looking for a physic. I don't believe there are many on the forum, or at least in the 7th gen ES section.
bc6152 (05-24-22)
Old 05-24-22, 08:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Admins - close the thread
Old 05-24-22, 08:28 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

This is all supposition.

The point anyone is making is that the insurance companies, like all insurance companies, are not in the business of losing money.

Yes, sometimes things go haywire. However, the likely scenario is you won't have a massive bill at 100k miles. I'm at 90k and still no massive bill. If the looming threat of a massive bill is the issue, maybe get a clunker, idk.
Old 05-24-22, 08:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

The actuaries have figured it out already.
LexFinally (05-28-22)
Old 05-24-22, 08:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

If this was in the IS forums I'd have closed this several posts ago lol.

Agree, now the OP has more than enough perspectives to think through. Ultimately you can't put a price on peace of mind, but you can put a price on a replacement wheel or tire and compare that with a warranty. Everyone will have to do the metaphorical math to decide what's right for them. What more needs to be said that hasn't been said already?
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
bc6152 (05-24-22), LexFinally (05-28-22)
Old 05-27-22, 08:22 PM
glamglam
Instructor

I finally did all the paperwork for my brand new 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury tonight at the Lexus dealership. I purchased the 10 year/150,000 mile extended warranty for $2,000 and the 84 month/unlimited miles wheel and tire warranty for $1,400. The wheel and tire warranty also covers the replacement of the rims and tires. I believe that I got an excellent deal for both warranties. I’m very happy that I purchased both warranties and that my Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury will now be fully covered bumper to bumper for everything. Both warranties will give me the ultimate protection for my vehicle and peace of mind.
Freds430 (05-28-22)
Old 05-28-22, 03:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

I finally did all the paperwork for my brand new 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury tonight at the Lexus dealership. I purchased the 10 year/150,000 mile extended warranty for $2,000 and the 84 month/unlimited miles wheel and tire warranty for $1,400. The wheel and tire warranty also covers the replacement of the rims and tires. I believe that I got an excellent deal for both warranties. I’m very happy that I purchased both warranties and that my Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury will now be fully covered bumper to bumper for everything. Both warranties will give me the ultimate protection for my vehicle and peace of mind.
Great deal on the extended warranty for $2,000. The original one is 4 years or 50,000 miles. So you are paying $2,000 from years five through ten which is when most problems would logically occur. That comes out to $333 a year. The maintenance on these vehicles is so little adding $333 a year is still very low. Imagine what extending a warranty on a BMW or Mercedes for ten years would cost. I do not get an extended warranty because I usually keep our vehicles for four to five years. If I knew I would keep one for ten years for $2,000 I would buy it. There is not a better feeling in the rare occurence something happens to just drive it in to the dealer and say fix it without worrying about the cost. In today's prices, gadgets and electronics that $2,000 is a bargain for ten years peace of mind.
Old 05-28-22, 05:05 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2 cents:

Tire and wheel packages from Lexus vs 3rd party (depends on what your dealership offers, usually they have a contract with some company OR Lexus) vary in coverage and price. For example lexus will replace a bent wheel rather than “ repair”. My personal experience is that repaired wheels are never the same (depends on quality of repair and one could argue that the structural integrity is not the same after “repair”). 3rd party tire and wheel (“ man in a van with a contraption to straighten the wheel, which is used by a lot of dealerships is poor quality IMO). Some people don’t notice vibrations from imperfect wheel repair (some people don't even notice a vibration from a bent wheel!!) but that slight vibration ruins the driving experience for me (you lose the “new car” ride quality)

i live in ny, terrible roads and have personal experience with multiple bent wheels, “ variable quality of repair”. I chose lexus tire and wheel for my gsf: each wheel is 2000$+ to buy retail (forged bbs wheel). Worth the piece of mind.

if you live in an area with nice roads, i agree it is not worth the cost. If you live in an area with bad toads (the tristate area for example) then i think it may be worth it.

as for extended warranty: insurance company provided mechanical breakdown insurance is a cheaper option. I carry geico mechanical breakdown insurance (covers most important things) with a small deductible. Coverage is limited to 7 years/100k miles from new car date of purchase: which is a slight negative.
nitroracer (05-28-22)
Old 05-28-22, 07:43 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
My 2 cents:

Tire and wheel packages from Lexus vs 3rd party (depends on what your dealership offers, usually they have a contract with some company OR Lexus) vary in coverage and price. For example lexus will replace a bent wheel rather than “ repair”. My personal experience is that repaired wheels are never the same (depends on quality of repair and one could argue that the structural integrity is not the same after “repair”). 3rd party tire and wheel (“ man in a van with a contraption to straighten the wheel, which is used by a lot of dealerships is poor quality IMO). Some people don’t notice vibrations from imperfect wheel repair (some people don't even notice a vibration from a bent wheel!!) but that slight vibration ruins the driving experience for me (you lose the “new car” ride quality)

i live in ny, terrible roads and have personal experience with multiple bent wheels, “ variable quality of repair”. I chose lexus tire and wheel for my gsf: each wheel is 2000$+ to buy retail (forged bbs wheel). Worth the piece of mind.

if you live in an area with nice roads, i agree it is not worth the cost. If you live in an area with bad toads (the tristate area for example) then i think it may be worth it.

as for extended warranty: insurance company provided mechanical breakdown insurance is a cheaper option. I carry geico mechanical breakdown insurance (covers most important things) with a small deductible. Coverage is limited to 7 years/100k miles from new car date of purchase: which is a slight negative.
Therein lies the rub. I have an RS-line Audi as well that is ultra-sensitive to imperfect wheels, and in the fine print of the Wheel and Tire Protection is the option to replace it with a refurbed or else repair. I suppose in a Lexus, you can get away with a little bumpier ride as the suspension is setup to absorb most of that.

I'm happy for OP - peace of mind is everything. But, members should not walk away from this thread thinking these things are a panacea. Regular wear and tear is typically not considered a warrantable issue. This is why your rotors and brake pads are a $3k job on anything with Brembo, eg. Try to tell your dealer that the brake judder you're experiencing is a warranty issue and they'll just gaslight you to get out of it (ask me how I know).

Last edited by nitroracer; 05-28-22 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nitroracer:
bc6152 (05-28-22), LexFinally (05-28-22)
Old 05-28-22, 11:24 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Therein lies the rub. I have an RS-line Audi as well that is ultra-sensitive to imperfect wheels, and in the fine print of the Wheel and Tire Protection is the option to replace it with a refurbed or else repair. I suppose in a Lexus, you can get away with a little bumpier ride as the suspension is setup to absorb most of that.

I'm happy for OP - peace of mind is everything. But, members should not walk away from this thread thinking these things are a panacea. Regular wear and tear is typically not considered a warrantable issue. This is why your rotors and brake pads are a $3k job on anything with Brembo, eg. Try to tell your dealer that the brake judder you're experiencing is a warranty issue and they'll just gaslight.

Car enthusiasts are tortured souls...no one understands our obsession with minor bent wheel imperfections or brake judder... especially when it is NOT our fault: poorly maintained roads bend wheels and poor dealer service techniques such as use of impact guns and improper lug nut torquing causes uneven brake material deposition causing brake judder. I agree: the dealer will never admit their fault.
nitroracer (05-28-22)
Old 05-28-22, 12:22 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
Great deal on the extended warranty for $2,000. The original one is 4 years or 50,000 miles. So you are paying $2,000 from years five through ten which is when most problems would logically occur. That comes out to $333 a year. The maintenance on these vehicles is so little adding $333 a year is still very low. Imagine what extending a warranty on a BMW or Mercedes for ten years would cost. I do not get an extended warranty because I usually keep our vehicles for four to five years. If I knew I would keep one for ten years for $2,000 I would buy it. There is not a better feeling in the rare occurence something happens to just drive it in to the dealer and say fix it without worrying about the cost. In today's prices, gadgets and electronics that $2,000 is a bargain for ten years peace of mind.
I believe so too that the extended warranty for 10 years/150,000 miles was an excellent deal. The 7 years/unlimited miles for the wheel & tire warranty was an excellent deal too for the $1,400 cost that I paid for it.
Old 05-29-22, 07:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I believe so too that the extended warranty for 10 years/150,000 miles was an excellent deal. The 7 years/unlimited miles for the wheel & tire warranty was an excellent deal too for the $1,400 cost that I paid for it.
Didn't you say you get rid of your cars generally after two or three years because they fall apart by then?

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Protection Plan advice