ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Tire and Wheel Protection Plan advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-22, 12:22 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel Protection Plan advice

I’ve been trying to find out more about the Wheel/Tire warranty for the Lexus and I came across this thread while searching in the forums, so I thought that I would post and ask people in here about this particular warranty.
I will be getting delivery of a brand new 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury next week. I happened to drop by the Lexus dealership last night and I asked about their warranties. The Lexus dealership quoted me $2,336 for 60 months, $2,376 for 72 months and $2,402 for 84 months for the Tire/Wheel coverage. The dealer said that this warranty can replace or repair any damaged rims and also replace any of the tires if they get damaged. I think that these prices are very expensive for a warranty like this.

We plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, maybe longer up to 10 years and because of this we are thinking of purchasing the extended warranty for either 100,000 miles or for 150,000 mile/10 years to cover all the computers, electronics and the engine/powertrain on the car if anything goes wrong or breaks on it.

However, the Tire/Wheel coverage seems like it’s too much money for $2,300 - $2,400. What should be the “reasonable” cost be for the Tire/Wheel coverage for 60 months, 72 months and 84 months if one wanted to purchase this particular warranty for these long lengths of time? I think that the price that the Lexus dealer is asking for this particular warranty is too much money. I just paid $650 last week for the wheel/tire warranty for my brand new 2022 Avalon that I just purchased which is a fraction of the cost of what Lexus is asking for the same type of warranty.

I’ve repaired and refinished the rims on my E300 4 times so far in the last year and a half at a private wheel/rim repair place and it cost me $120 the first 3 times and just recently $140 the 4th time because the repair shop had a price increase. Will it realistically cost me $2,300 - $2,400 to repair/replace the rims and tires on my ES350 Ultra Luxury over a 5 to 7 year period if I keep the car a minimum of 5 to 7 years? I’m trying to figure out if the $2,300 - $2,400 price that Lexus quoted me last night is a realistic figure when compared to how many times and how much that I will use this particular Wheel/Tire warranty in real life.

What should I do? Should I pass on the Tire/Wheel coverage or should I get it and try to get it for a much lower cost. I was thinking of offering them no more than $1,000 for the Tire/Wheel coverage if I decide to buy it. I doubt that they will accept my offer of $1,000 though. I don’t know what to do. I would like to get advice on what I should do. Thank You

Last edited by glamglam; 05-17-22 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 01:42 AM
glamglam
Instructor

The Lexus dealer quoted me $2,336 for 60 months, $2,376 for 72 months and $2,402 for 84 months for the Wheel/Tire warranty for my 2022 Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury. The warranty includes wheel and tire replacement if the wheels or tires get damaged and cannot be repaired. I think that the warranty is expensive. I live in the northeast where the roads are bad. What is a reasonable price to get this Wheel/Tire warranty at?

I just also purchased a brand new $45,000 Avalon Limited and I purchased the Wheel/Tire warranty for the Avalon and it only cost me $650. The same warranty for the Lexus costs 4 times as much. I think that the warranty is necessary, but it’s not worth $2,300 to $2,400. What is a fair price to pay for the Wheel/Tire warranty?

Last edited by glamglam; 05-17-22 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 02:42 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Isn’t the windshield covered under the comprehensive glass insurance on the automobile insurance policy? I have glass insurance with $0 zero deductible for all my vehicles. The insurance company will replace the windshield for free if it cracks or breaks. Wouldn’t the auto insurance company cover the windshield on a Lexus vehicle. Especially if it also had a HUD heads up display on it?
Old 05-17-22, 07:26 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
However, the Tire/Wheel coverage seems like it’s too much money for $2,300 - $2,400. What should be the “reasonable” cost be for the Tire/Wheel coverage for 60 months, 72 months and 84 months if one wanted to purchase this particular warranty for these long lengths of time?
For $2400, you can get a brand new set of wheels and tires, mounted, balanced and delivered to your door.

By declining coverage, you pocket the money. Maybe one day you have to spend all $2400, but likely not.

By accepting coverage, you forfeit the free option.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-19-22 at 11:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by nitroracer:
ATL350 (05-19-22), bc6152 (05-20-22), GS350Miami (05-20-22), Iverwig (05-28-22), macmaster (05-17-22)
Old 05-17-22, 07:30 AM
JonHT
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe you answered yourself with all the data you input.
hard pass i’d say
The following 4 users liked this post by JonHT:
ATL350 (05-19-22), Iverwig (05-28-22), macmaster (05-17-22), mike995134 (05-28-22)
Old 05-17-22, 07:47 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I’ve been trying to find out more about the Wheel/Tire warranty for the Lexus and I came across this thread while searching in the forums, so I thought that I would post and ask people in here about this particular warranty.
I will be getting delivery of a brand new 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury next week. I happened to drop by the Lexus dealership last night and I asked about their warranties. The Lexus dealership quoted me $2,336 for 60 months, $2,376 for 72 months and $2,402 for 84 months for the Tire/Wheel coverage. The dealer said that this warranty can replace or repair any damaged rims and also replace any of the tires if they get damaged. I think that these prices are very expensive for a warranty like this.

We plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, maybe longer up to 10 years and because of this we are thinking of purchasing the extended warranty for either 100,000 miles or for 150,000 mile/10 years to cover all the computers, electronics and the engine/powertrain on the car if anything goes wrong or breaks on it.

However, the Tire/Wheel coverage seems like it’s too much money for $2,300 - $2,400. What should be the “reasonable” cost be for the Tire/Wheel coverage for 60 months, 72 months and 84 months if one wanted to purchase this particular warranty for these long lengths of time? I think that the price that the Lexus dealer is asking for this particular warranty is too much money. I just paid $650 last week for the wheel/tire warranty for my brand new 2022 Avalon that I just purchased which is a fraction of the cost of what Lexus is asking for the same type of warranty.

I’ve repaired and refinished the rims on my E300 4 times so far in the last year and a half at a private wheel/rim repair place and it cost me $120 the first 3 times and just recently $140 the 4th time because the repair shop had a price increase. Will it realistically cost me $2,300 - $2,400 to repair/replace the rims and tires on my ES350 Ultra Luxury over a 5 to 7 year period if I keep the car a minimum of 5 to 7 years? I’m trying to figure out if the $2,300 - $2,400 price that Lexus quoted me last night is a realistic figure when compared to how many times and how much that I will use this particular Wheel/Tire warranty in real life.

What should I do? Should I pass on the Tire/Wheel coverage or should I get it and try to get it for a much lower cost. I was thinking of offering them no more than $1,000 for the Tire/Wheel coverage if I decide to buy it. I doubt that they will accept my offer of $1,000 though. I don’t know what to do. I would like to get advice on what I should do. Thank You
I paid $900 back in 2018 for 60 month tire and wheel package (they sold me 3rd party not thru Lexus). They originally wanted $1500 but i negotiated it down. I bought it after i had purchased the car on a rainy day where every salesman was looking for someone to walk thru the door.

IMO definitely worth it living in area i do. The potholes in MA are pretty bad and this package has saved me $150-200 per bent rims over the course of 4 years. If your plan is to keep the car awhile and you drive a lot, worth it if you are able to get it down to $1500.
Old 05-17-22, 08:53 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,051 Posts

omg don't do it - that's a terrible deal....

Forget about it, and then go out to a nice dinner tonight to celebrate making a not stupid choice.
Old 05-17-22, 09:27 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by nitroracer
For $2400, you can get a brand new set of wheels and tires, mounted, balanced and delivered to your door.

By declining coverage, you pocket the money. Maybe one day you have to spend all $2400, but likely not.

By accepting coverage, you forfeit the free option.
This Wheel/Tire warranty is from a 3rd party. It's NOT from Lexus. I did a cost analysis on the current vehicle that I'm driving which is a 2019 Mercedes E300. I've spent over $500 within the past 1 year just having to do 4 "separate" repairs to the rims on the Mercedes. I scraped the wheels while parallel parking 3 times and I cracked the inside of one of the rims when the wheel went into a pothole. The first 3 repairs cost me $120 each for each repair and the last repair that was done just 2 weeks ago to fix the crack on the inside of the rim cost $140. The wheel repair shop has increased their prices from $120 to $140 per repair right now.

So, with the cost analysis that I did, I figure that from using the past repair history that was already done to the rims on my Mercedes E300 that if I have to use wheel repair 3 to 4 times per year at $140 per repair, that I would spend between $420 to $560 each year ONLY for wheel rim repairs. This figure does NOT include any tires if I was to blow out or damage a tire. A tire replacement would probably cost about another $200 to $250 with balancing and mounting. We plan on keeping the vehicle for around 10 years if we buy the 10 year/125,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty. We can choose either the 60, 72 or the 84 month Tire/Wheel warranty for the vehicle. The price difference is $33 to $66 difference in cost from the 60 month to the 72 and the 84 month warranty period options. I figure that if I hold on the vehicle for say 7 years and if I have to repair a rim 3 times a year, I would be spending $420 per year for 3 repairs. If you multiply $420 per year repair cost x 7 years, that's over $2,940 in wheel rim repairs over a 7 year period. Now if you multiply the $420 per year repair cost x 8 years, the wheel repair cost goes up to $3,360. If I keep the vehicle for 10 years, then the wheel repair will increase to over $4,200 in the 10 year period if I have to repair the rims 3 times per year every year for 10 years ($420 per year repair cost x 10 years = $4,200). These repair costs do NOT include having to replace punctured tires or blowouts. It also does NOT include having to replace the rim if the rim is unrepairable. I derived all of these figures by using ONLY 3 wheel repairs per year and I base this on the actual historical repairs that were done on my Mercedes E300 within the last 12 months. I live up here in the northeast where the roads are really bad and where there are a lot of potholes in the road. I also have to drive into the city where there's street parking everywhere which can get my rims easily damaged if they get scraped on a sidewalk while trying to parallel park. No matter how much that I'm careful driving, there's always some type of damage that happens to a wheel rim on my car. I would think that the Wheel/Tire warranty would be worth getting for the ES350 Ultra Luxury noise reduction rims if the wheel rims get scraped, cracked or damaged in this type of frequency (minimum of 3 times per year) while driving the car. Do you now see the logic behind buying the Wheel/Tire warranty if I have to use it for a minimum of 3 times per year for the vehicle. At the $2,336 to $2,402 price for this particular warranty, I will come out ahead if I use this warranty over a 5 to 6 year period ($2,402 / $420 per year repair cost = 5.7 years until the $2402 is used all up). If I keep the vehicle for more than 5.7 years, I will be ahead of the game and any further wheel/rim repairs that are done to my vehicle will basically cost me nothing. The MOST that I can use if I do 3 repairs per year for 10 continuous years will be $4,200 ($420 per year repair cost x 10 years = $4,200). And this does NOT include having to replace any of the rims or replacing any of the tires. Replacing the rims and the tires would INCREASE the cost of repairs even more.

Don't you think that this particular warranty is worth buying if I this type of repair frequency done to my rims? Doesn't it make sense to get the Wheel/Tire warranty if I have to repair the wheels on my car 3 to 4 times per year like I have been doing on my Mercedes E300? By the way, I would not pay full price for this warranty. I would dicker with the price and try to negotiate to get a much lower price for the Wheel/Tire warranty, so my costs could even be lower. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-17-22, 09:52 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

This Wheel/Tire warranty is from a 3rd party. It's NOT from Lexus. I did a cost analysis on the current vehicle that I'm driving which is a 2019 Mercedes E300. I've spent over $500 within the past 1 year just having to do 4 "separate" repairs to the rims on the Mercedes. I scraped the wheels while parallel parking 3 times and I cracked the inside of one of the rims when the wheel went into a pothole. The first 3 repairs cost me $120 each for each repair and the last repair that was done just 2 weeks ago to fix the crack on the inside of the rim cost $140. The wheel repair shop has increased their prices from $120 to $140 per repair right now.

So, with the cost analysis that I did, I figure that from using the past repair history that was already done to the rims on my Mercedes E300 that if I have to use wheel repair 3 to 4 times per year at $140 per repair, that I would spend between $420 to $560 each year ONLY for wheel rim repairs. This figure does NOT include any tires if I was to blow out or damage a tire. A tire replacement would probably cost about another $200 to $250 with balancing and mounting. We plan on keeping the vehicle for around 10 years if we buy the 10 year/125,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty. We can choose either the 60, 72 or the 84 month Tire/Wheel warranty for the vehicle. The price difference is $33 to $66 difference in cost from the 60 month to the 72 and the 84 month warranty period options. I figure that if I hold on the vehicle for say 7 years and if I have to repair a rim 3 times a year, I would be spending $420 per year for 3 repairs. If you multiply $420 per year repair cost x 7 years, that's over $2,940 in wheel rim repairs over a 7 year period. Now if you multiply the $420 per year repair cost x 8 years, the wheel repair cost goes up to $3,360. If I keep the vehicle for 10 years, then the wheel repair will increase to over $4,200 in the 10 year period if I have to repair the rims 3 times per year every year for 10 years ($420 per year repair cost x 10 years = $4,200). These repair costs do NOT include having to replace punctured tires or blowouts. It also does NOT include having to replace the rim if the rim is unrepairable. I derived all of these figures by using ONLY 3 wheel repairs per year and I base this on the actual historical repairs that were done on my Mercedes E300 within the last 12 months. I live up here in the northeast where the roads are really bad and where there are a lot of potholes in the road. I also have to drive into the city where there's street parking everywhere which can get my rims easily damaged if they get scraped on a sidewalk while trying to parallel park. No matter how much that I'm careful driving, there's always some type of damage that happens to a wheel rim on my car. I would think that the Wheel/Tire warranty would be worth getting for the ES350 Ultra Luxury noise reduction rims if the wheel rims get scraped, cracked or damaged in this type of frequency (minimum of 3 times per year) while driving the car. Do you now see the logic behind buying the Wheel/Tire warranty if I have to use it for a minimum of 3 times per year for the vehicle. At the $2,336 to $2,402 price for this particular warranty, I will come out ahead if I use this warranty over a 5 to 6 year period ($2,402 / $420 per year repair cost = 5.7 years until the $2402 is used all up). If I keep the vehicle for more than 5.7 years, I will be ahead of the game and any further wheel/rim repairs that are done to my vehicle will basically cost me nothing. The MOST that I can use if I do 3 repairs per year for 10 continuous years will be $4,200 ($420 per year repair cost x 10 years = $4,200). And this does NOT include having to replace any of the rims or replacing any of the tires. Replacing the rims and the tires would INCREASE the cost of repairs even more.

Don't you think that this particular warranty is worth buying if I this type of repair frequency done to my rims? Doesn't it make sense to get the Wheel/Tire warranty if I have to repair the wheels on my car 3 to 4 times per year like I have been doing on my Mercedes E300? By the way, I would not pay full price for this warranty. I would dicker with the price and try to negotiate to get a much lower price for the Wheel/Tire warranty, so my costs could even be lower. Let me know what you think.
I didnt realize how wheel-accident prone you are. Yes, if that is in fact your situation and you don't make an attempt or plan to drive/park more carefully, then it is worth it for you. You are the exception though. Most people dont damage their wheels that often.
The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
Freds430 (05-20-22), GS350Miami (05-20-22), Kavorka (04-11-24), nitroracer (05-18-22)
Old 05-17-22, 09:55 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I paid $900 back in 2018 for 60 month tire and wheel package (they sold me 3rd party not thru Lexus). They originally wanted $1500 but i negotiated it down. I bought it after i had purchased the car on a rainy day where every salesman was looking for someone to walk thru the door.

IMO definitely worth it living in area i do. The potholes in MA are pretty bad and this package has saved me $150-200 per bent rims over the course of 4 years. If your plan is to keep the car awhile and you drive a lot, worth it if you are able to get it down to $1500.
JNP1227,
I'm located in New England too. I've spent a total of over $500 so far in the last 12 months repairing the rims on my Mercedes E300 on 4 separate occasions. The roads up here are really bad. Imagine if I had to replace the rim on my Mercedes. The rim alone costs over $900. I was lucky that I didn't have to spend an extra $760 to $800 replacing the rim.

Which Lexus dealership did you purchase your Lexus from? If you only paid $900 for a $1,500 warranty, you got 60% OFF the price if my calculations are correct. I'm thinking of getting the 84 months Wheel/Tire warranty and taking off 60% off the $2,402 asking price and giving them $1,440 for the warranty. If they don't accept it, I will go up a little in my offer and we can hopefully find and in between price where we can both be happy.

Last edited by glamglam; 05-17-22 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 11:42 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

JNP1227,
I'm located in New England too. I've spent a total of over $500 so far in the last 12 months repairing the rims on my Mercedes E300 on 4 separate occasions. The roads up here are really bad. Imagine if I had to replace the rim on my Mercedes. The rim alone costs over $900. I was lucky that I didn't have to spend an extra $760 to $800 replacing the rim.

Which Lexus dealership did you purchase your Lexus from? If you only paid $900 for a $1,500 warranty, you got 60% OFF the price if my calculations are correct. I'm thinking of getting the 84 months Wheel/Tire warranty and taking off 60% off the $2,402 asking price and giving them $1,440 for the warranty. If they don't accept it, I will go up a little in my offer and we can hopefully find and in between price where we can both be happy.
I purchased mine from Herb Chambers Sharon. They are pretty good about it. Good Luck.
Old 05-17-22, 12:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

I never push for a replacement wheel unless it's cracked. Scuffs can all be cleaned up and refinished, and I've had plenty of those. Prices ranged from $165 a wheel to $275 a wheel here in Atlanta. GS F wheels are not chromed, they're polished aluminum, and that keeps repairs a whole lot cheaper.
Old 05-17-22, 01:17 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I purchased mine from Herb Chambers Sharon. They are pretty good about it. Good Luck.
Thank you. I hope that I can bring the price down enough on the Wheel/Tire warranty and on the Extended bumper to bumper warranty enough to make them both more reasonably priced when the dealer calls me when my ES350 arrives at the dealership.
Old 05-17-22, 02:14 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by macmaster
I didnt realize how wheel-accident prone you are. Yes, if that is in fact your situation and you don't make an attempt or plan to drive/park more carefully, then it is worth it for you. You are the exception though. Most people dont damage their wheels that often.
I retract my earlier statement above that you should get the protection. Thinking more about your situation I still think it's a waste of money. The reason is the tire and wheel protection will only cover road hazards and if the tire is really bent out of shape. It won't cover minor cosmetic defects which you seem to have the most of.

You spent a lot of money to fix your Mercedes but I noticed you weren't under a protection plan with that car. Had you been, you probably would've learned that they wouldn't have covered you for a majority of your incidents. You're over-estimating the value of this wheel protection.

My suggestions: 1) You need to learn how to parallel park. 2) You need to grow a thicker skin and get over cosmetic damages that happen to your wheels. You spent a couple hundred dollars here and there to fix your Mercedes. That price alone tells me these weren't serious damages. It's a ES350, not a LFA, so its not the end of the world to have some scratched rims. 3) Bent frames on rims that fail to hold air with the tire, which is the requirement for coverage, shouldn't be that frequent. If they truly are, drive slower or get a thicker tire.
Old 05-17-22, 03:05 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by macmaster
I retract my earlier statement above that you should get the protection. Thinking more about your situation I still think it's a waste of money. The reason is the tire and wheel protection will only cover road hazards and if the tire is really bent out of shape. It won't cover minor cosmetic defects which you seem to have the most of.

You spent a lot of money to fix your Mercedes but I noticed you weren't under a protection plan with that car. Had you been, you probably would've learned that they wouldn't have covered you for a majority of your incidents. You're over-estimating the value of this wheel protection.
My suggestions: 1) You need to learn how to parallel park. 2) You need to grow a thicker skin and get over cosmetic damages that happen to your wheels. You spent a couple hundred dollars here and there to fix your Mercedes. That price alone tells me these weren't serious damages. It's a ES350, not a LFA, so its not the end of the world to have some scratched rims. 3) Bent frames on rims that fail to hold air with the tire, which is the requirement for coverage, shouldn't be that frequent. If they truly are, drive slower or get a thicker tire.
The type of damage that I had on the rims of my Mercedes was on the edge of the rim. The edge of the rim was ground up and missing and it looked like road rash. I don’t know how they repaired it, but the wheel repair place was was able to make the ground up edge of the rim to go away. They must’ve added metal to edge of the rim and smoothed it out. They made the rim look like brand new again. This happened 3 times on 2 different rims. The edge of the rim was ground up really bad and it looked like road rash. On the 4th time, a pothole cracked the inside lip on the front right wheel. All these 4 incidents happened within 12 months.
I’ve posted a few pictures. I had more pictures of the rims looking even worse, but I erased them from my phone a while back.

Last edited by glamglam; 05-17-22 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Protection Plan advice