ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dashcam mounting location recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 04:55 PM
geost
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashcam mounting location recommendations?

Hi all. I'm having trouble finding a spot to mount my Viofo A129 Plus duo dash cam on my new '22 ES350 f-sport. I previously had this mounted on my 2017 Honda Accord touring that I sold when I bought the Lexus. The dash cam fit perfectly since it had a large windshield, but on the Lexus it's difficult to find a spot because the windshield is so small compared to the Honda without it being an eyesore and so obvious a dash cam is present.

Has anyone mounted this Viofo camera on their 7th gen ES350? Anyone have pics somewhere I can see? Not sure if I should skip Viofo and go for the BlackVue DR900X-2CH but wow it's very expensive compared to the Viofo. It seems like the BlackVue would fit very well just below the rearview mirror/windshield sensors are located. Thoughts? TIA!
Old 06-04-22, 05:18 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

FitCamX is by far the best for implementation.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
landonm86 (06-04-22), peteharvey (01-29-23)
Old 06-04-22, 08:30 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

I'd fit it next to the rearview mirror or behind it if it fits. That's what I'm planning to do but I have a Blackvue
Old 06-05-22, 12:06 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by geost
Hi all. I'm having trouble finding a spot to mount my Viofo A129 Plus duo dash cam on my new '22 ES350 f-sport. I previously had this mounted on my 2017 Honda Accord touring that I sold when I bought the Lexus. The dash cam fit perfectly since it had a large windshield, but on the Lexus it's difficult to find a spot because the windshield is so small compared to the Honda without it being an eyesore and so obvious a dash cam is present.

Has anyone mounted this Viofo camera on their 7th gen ES350? Anyone have pics somewhere I can see? Not sure if I should skip Viofo and go for the BlackVue DR900X-2CH but wow it's very expensive compared to the Viofo. It seems like the BlackVue would fit very well just below the rearview mirror/windshield sensors are located. Thoughts? TIA!
The Blackvue is a feature rich comprehensive cam and it's one I've considered as well. It's low profile lends to easier mounting but it might be overkill for most. I however think it's a great but expensive choice.

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
FitCamX is by far the best for implementation.
For complete integration this is a good choice.

Originally Posted by dezymond
I'd fit it next to the rearview mirror or behind it if it fits. That's what I'm planning to do but I have a Blackvue
I'm considering a Blackvue too. I think they are a great choice. I specifically like the remote Live View and Push Notifications to your cell. Being able to backup videos to the Cloud remotely is nice too.
Old 06-05-22, 03:54 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I'm considering a Blackvue too. I think they are a great choice. I specifically like the remote Live View and Push Notifications to your cell. Being able to backup videos to the Cloud remotely is nice too.
If I didn't keep it from my old ride I'd probably go to a different brand at this point. The Blackvue app is so slow and cumbersome. BUT I paid a lot of money for this dashcam and didn't want to include it when selling my old ride. Plus I enjoy how sleek this dashcam is, so it's worth the hassle of the app.

Are you planning to get the external battery for it? I had it hardwired to my fusebox and could run parking mode (you also need to Power Magic Pro adapter for this), but never really needed it.
Old 06-05-22, 04:28 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

If I didn't keep it from my old ride I'd probably go to a different brand at this point. The Blackvue app is so slow and cumbersome. BUT I paid a lot of money for this dashcam and didn't want to include it when selling my old ride. Plus I enjoy how sleek this dashcam is, so it's worth the hassle of the app.

Are you planning to get the external battery for it? I had it hardwired to my fusebox and could run parking mode (you also need to Power Magic Pro adapter for this), but never really needed it.
That battery is nearly as much as the cam itself. I was hoping to avoid the need for that.
Old 06-05-22, 04:30 PM
dezymond
Instructor

That battery is nearly as much as the cam itself. I was hoping to avoid the need for that.
Yeah it's very pricey. I ran my Blackvue in parking mode straight from the fuse box and never ended up with a dead car battery so that's good. I didn't run it 24/7, maybe for a few hours or overnight here and there.
Old 06-05-22, 04:34 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Yeah it's very pricey. I ran my Blackvue in parking mode straight from the fuse box and never ended up with a dead car battery so that's good. I didn't run it 24/7, maybe for a few hours or overnight here and there.
Good to know. Did/do you have the LTE Module or ever use the Live remote viewing option?
Old 06-05-22, 04:39 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Good to know. Did/do you have the LTE Module or ever use the Live remote viewing option?
Nope. Was never worried about all that really, and don't visit any sketchy areas (though around here, things are happening in broad daylight in high traffic areas so...).

My main reason for the dashcam was just for when driving as an extra "insurance". With the amount of break-ins going on around here, police don't even lift a finger to help, so 360 security even in parking mode is essentially useless. For me at least.
Old 06-13-22, 05:26 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The Blackvue is a feature rich comprehensive cam and it's one I've considered as well. It's low profile lends to easier mounting but it might be overkill for most. I however think it's a great but expensive choice.

For complete integration this is a good choice.

Looking on Amazon, I see several models dedicated to different cars. Although the front mirror bezel looks the same for Toyota models, is there a specific model camera that fits the 2022 ES?

Never mind. Just searched for it and found it.

Last edited by shrinkwrap; 06-13-22 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-13-22, 07:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I had FitCam on my first ES in January 2021 and now on my current ES.

I've been using custom dash cam installs since 2014 and I wouldn't go without it. Car makers should make it standard built in but the car industry (outside of tesla) is extremely con$ervative and slow... and Lexus/Toyota is 200x so more slow and conservative. I'm sure there's 400 suppliers foaming at the mouth.

Glad to see cars like the Ford maverick offering it as an option.
Old 06-13-22, 08:30 AM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually buy garmin dash cameras for my cars but decided to get a fitcamx for my 2022 es because of the fitment.

Pros:
  • fits great, I dont even notice it's there
  • Wiring is all contained under the cover, no need to run any wires or add fuses

Cons:
  • This may be caused by the included SD card, but it occasionally misses a second of recording when the video files are created
  • Not as clear as other cameras I have used (using it in 4k mode, it is not 4k)
  • Parking mode doesnt always record, only when the vehicle is bumped.

Parking mode is one of my biggest disappointments. Garmin cameras always record in parking mode and lock files only when it detects an event. I liked being able to check back at any time while I was parked.

So far the cons are not a deal breaker because the pros are so good, but I am considering trying a garmin mini 2 camera and seeing if i can wire it up in a similar way to the fitcam

Old 06-13-22, 09:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Another con is if you use the Cover Craft shade, you have to modify the shade cause the camera bump is slightly too big by a few millimeters.
Old 06-13-22, 11:32 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
…Glad to see cars like the Ford maverick offering it as an option.
BMW also has built in dash cam software like Tesla.

Knowing Lexus, we won’t have built-in dash cam for at least 10 years LOL

I have the FitCamX, love the integration
Old 06-14-22, 12:50 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just installed the FitCam. As others have said, it is an easy install and looks OEM. Hopefully it works well...

Quick Reply: Dashcam mounting location recommendations?