ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2021 ES300h fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 09:41 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

For me it is unbeliveable how fuel efficient this car is. 1.8 ton car with 2.5 liter engine, 5 meter long and still achives better gas mileage that the second gen Prius, almost better than the third gen Prius.
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 11:37 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

It is an engineering marvel. Earlier this year I got my wife a new Venza (hybrid) and she gets about twice the MPG compare to her old 2014 RAV4 and Venza has more HP. To top it off once adjusted for inflation it is basically same money despite the fact we are paid MSRP. In Canada now it is not uncommon for people to wait 1.5 year+ to get a new hybrid.
Old 06-07-22, 11:48 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
For me it is unbeliveable how fuel efficient this car is. 1.8 ton car with 2.5 liter engine, 5 meter long and still achives better gas mileage that the second gen Prius, almost better than the third gen Prius.
Isn’t 1.8 tons too heavy for a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine? That’s like an overweight person trying to run a marathon. Their heart (which is the engine) will stop working because of all the stress that’s put on it from all the weight of the person. The same thing would happen to the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine. It would get stressed too much from the 1.8 ton weight of the vehicle and break down. Bad choice for Lexus and Toyota to get rid of the 6 cylinder engine and put an anemic 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine in a 4 door sedan or in the RX. Very poor judgment.
Old 06-07-22, 11:50 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm on my second tank of gas since taking delivery, at 675mi now. The onboard had showed I was getting 40.6mpg when I was really averaging 41.6mpg (tracked with gas app). I still don't drive as efficiently as I'm supposed to and am not reaching what the car is capable of, but I'm very impressed with the fuel economy of this car. Also very nice on power, especially coming from a V6 in a smaller dimension car. I'm also used to the onboard computer being pretty generous about average mpg, but this one underrates!

Last edited by dezymond; 06-07-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 11:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
Isn’t 1.8 tons too heavy for a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine? That’s like an overweight person trying to run a marathon. Their heart (which is the engine) will stop working because of all the stress that’s put on it from all the weight of the person. The same thing would happen to the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine. It would get stressed too much from the 1.8 ton weight of the vehicle and break down. Bad choice for Lexus and Toyota to get rid of the 6 cylinder engine and put an anemic 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine in a 4 door sedan or in the RX. Very poor judgment.
I'm guessing you're not a Toyota engineer
landonm86 (06-08-22)
Old 06-07-22, 11:58 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Cool we get it, you don't like 4 cylinder engines. So why waste your time in a thread that deals with a 4 cylinder car? You're not changing your mind and your opinion isn't going to change those that have the 300h. Move on.
The following 7 users liked this post by dezymond:
DavidZ (06-07-22), dklanecky1 (06-08-22), Freds430 (06-07-22), landonm86 (06-08-22), Slainte (06-10-22), TechNut (06-08-22), UltraLux22 (06-08-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-22, 12:01 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm guessing you're not a Toyota engineer
No, I'm not. But I've driven the 4 cylinder Lexus and it feels very anemic. I wouldn't give a Quarter for a 4 cylinder Lexus even if you gave me boat load of them for free. The 6 cylinder is the best choice for the weight/power ratio for these particular vehicles. But hey, some people don't see the benefit of a 6 cylinder Lexus. Don't know why, but they don't.

Last edited by glamglam; 06-07-22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 12:26 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
Cool we get it, you don't like 4 cylinder engines. So why waste your time in a thread that deals with a 4 cylinder car? You're not changing your mind and your opinion isn't going to change those that have the 300h. Move on.
Agree 100%. Why do so many of these threads all from Lexus enthusiast have to turn to a pissing contest.

Last edited by Freds430; 06-08-22 at 03:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
landonm86 (06-08-22), Slainte (06-10-22), UltraLux22 (06-08-22)
Old 06-07-22, 01:26 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

You should take a look at the hp numbers. This car does not rely only on ICE. There’s also a 88 kw electric motor.

For me 300h is exceptionally fast.
landonm86 (06-08-22)
Old 06-07-22, 02:50 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
Agree 100%. Why do so many of these threads all from Lexus enthusiast have to turn to pissing contest.
This guy has been expressing his opinion about 4cyl cars whenever he gets the chance in any thread. However, he went out of his way this time to come into a thread specifically for the hybrid model. It's a tiresome act.

Originally Posted by ESh
You should take a look at the hp numbers. This car does not rely only on ICE. There’s also a 88 kw electric motor.

For me 300h is exceptionally fast.
It's quicker than I ever expected it to be. Plenty of power to pass on the freeway when needed. For a hybrid, I would say yeah it's pretty dang fast. And it rides so well you don't even know you've gotten to speed if you weren't paying attention, it's deceptively quick. It even goes uphill pretty effortlessly, that what impressed me the most.

​​​​

Last edited by dezymond; 06-07-22 at 02:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dezymond:
landonm86 (06-08-22), Slainte (06-10-22), UltraLux22 (06-08-22)
Old 06-07-22, 04:21 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Only people with high IQ buy the ES hybrid. It's an incredibly smooth, powerful, efficient vehicle, it's a smart buy given the gas prices too. Dinosaurs can keep their big noisy vibrate-y pollution-mobiles as long as the govt will allow them to keep buying them. But that's not the point of this thread... I guess I care more about having a quiet, smooth car than a V6 car.

I have one fillup so far on my '22 ESh UL and it averaged 5.4 L/100km, whatever that works out to freedom units. It's rated for 5.2 and 5.5 L/100km here.
landonm86 (06-14-23)
Old 06-07-22, 05:42 PM
glamglam
Instructor

This guy has been expressing his opinion about 4cyl cars whenever he gets the chance in any thread. However, he went out of his way this time to come into a thread specifically for the hybrid model. It's a tiresome act.

It's quicker than I ever expected it to be. Plenty of power to pass on the freeway when needed. For a hybrid, I would say yeah it's pretty dang fast. And it rides so well you don't even know you've gotten to speed if you weren't paying attention, it's deceptively quick. It even goes uphill pretty effortlessly, that what impressed me the most.

​​​​
I was only expressing my honest opinion here and it’s not like I don’t know what I’m talking about. I used to own 3 Toyota hybrids over the last 12 years. A Prius hybrid and 2 Toyota Camry hybrids up until 2019. They were all reliable vehicles, but they were all dogs when it came to acceleration, power and responsiveness. No power, no torque and no responsiveness when I needed to accelerate to get on the highway or when I wanted to pass someone. The engine sounded like a vacuum cleaner when I accelerated to pass a car or when trying to get on the highway or even when trying to change lanes to get to the other side of the highway to get off the exit. That’s the only reason why I don’t like hybrids. Maybe a 6 cylinder hybrid would be better, but I haven’t ever seen a 6 cylinder Toyota hybrid. Maybe Toyota will fix this by building a 6 cylinder hybrid that’s more powerful than the 4 cylinder hybrid. That would be nice if they did that. Maybe it would change my mentality about the hybrid la if Toyota made that much needed upgrade to a 6 cylinder hybrid.

Last edited by glamglam; 06-07-22 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 05:42 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Only people with high IQ buy the ES hybrid. It's an incredibly smooth, powerful, efficient vehicle, it's a smart buy given the gas prices too. Dinosaurs can keep their big noisy vibrate-y pollution-mobiles as long as the govt will allow them to keep buying them. But that's not the point of this thread... I guess I care more about having a quiet, smooth car than a V6 car.

I have one fillup so far on my '22 ESh UL and it averaged 5.4 L/100km, whatever that works out to freedom units. It's rated for 5.2 and 5.5 L/100km here.
Freedom units LOL

You're getting about 43.5 miles per gallon, very impressive. Good stuff!

I will also say that with no "real" transmission, and transmission lag, this is hands down the smoothest vehicle next to a full EV. People want luxury, well there it is, no jerkiness of a transmission. Just very smooth linear acceleration or deceleration.

Last edited by dezymond; 06-07-22 at 05:49 PM.
LS500Fan (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 05:48 PM
dezymond
Instructor

I used to own 3 hybrids. A Prius hybrid and 2 Toyota Camry hybrids. They were all reliable vehicles, but they were dogs when it came to acceleration, power and responsiveness. That’s the only reason why I don’t like hybrids. Maybe a 6 cylinder hybrid would be better, but I haven’t ever seen a 6 cylinder Toyota hybrid.
Cool, so have you test the 7th gen 300h? Or are you just judging it based off the experience you've had with previous generation cars? No one buys a hybrid for acceleration or power, so just you mentioning that tells me you got those vehicles for the wrong reasons. There's no 6cyl hybrid Toyota, but the RX 450h has a 6cyl.

Again, I don't know why you decide to come into this thread to just express your opinion about how "slow", "anemic", and "underpowered" a 4cyl is. In a thread about fuel economy as well. You went out of your way to stir the pot. I don't know what point you're trying to get across other than wanting the constant attention or to "inform" us that we made the wrong choice. Grow up man.
The following 4 users liked this post by dezymond:
landonm86 (06-14-23), Slainte (06-10-22), TechNut (06-08-22), UltraLux22 (06-08-22)
Old 06-07-22, 05:54 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Cool, so have you test the 7th gen 300h? Or are you just judging it based off the experience you've had with previous generation cars? No one buys a hybrid for acceleration or power, so just you mentioning that tells me you got those vehicles for the wrong reasons. There's no 6cyl hybrid Toyota, but the RX 450h has a 6cyl.

Again, I don't know why you decide to come into this thread to just express your opinion about how "slow", "anemic", and "underpowered" a 4cyl is. In a thread about fuel economy as well. You went out of your way to stir the pot. I don't know what point you're trying to get across other than wanting the constant attention or to "inform" us that we made the wrong choice. Grow up man.
I got all 3 of the Toyota hybrids only because of the fuel economy, but the fuel economy wasn’t very good. The Prius was getting only 30 to 31 mpg and the other 2 Camry hybrids were barely getting 28 mpg. Today’s hybrids get 40+ mpg which is a very good thing. That’s excellent gas mileage. However, I think that the horsepower on them is very low and they don’t have the torque for pickup for quick acceleration. It’s the torque that I think that they lack which I don’t particularly like. This is the only thing that kept me from buying a hybrid ES300h Ultra Luxury. I wish that the ES300h had more torque and more pickup power. And I’m not trying to “inform” anybody in here that they made a bad choice owning a hybrid. I remember reading in a different thread on here not too long ago that a few members in here regretted getting a hybrid and they traded them in and sold them for a regular 6 cylinder ES350 because they wanted more horsepower and torque. Also, I’m not saying that buying and owning a hybrid is not a good choice. Please don’t think this. I just wish that they had more horsepower and more pickup (torque). That’s all. If they did, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, I would purchase only Toyota and Lexus hybrid vehicles if this was the case. I don’t doubt the reliability of the hybrids. I just wish that they were more powerful like the 6 cylinder. I hope that I’ve cleared everything up for everyone in here.

Last edited by glamglam; 06-07-22 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 ES300h fuel economy