ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

22 ES 350 Stock Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 01:16 PM
knappster7
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 22 ES 350 Stock Stereo Upgrade

I have been searching for and reading everything I can find regarding upgrading the stock (non-ML) stereo in the 22' ES 350. I prefer to simply replace the stock dash and front door speakers (not the center dash).

One of the best car audio shops in town recommended Hybrid Audio Unity U3 (3.7" mid/high) in the dash and Hybrid Audio U6 (6.5" mid/low) for the front doors. I have had a hard time finding good reviews on such a swap or on these speakers on their own.

My question is has anyone made such a front speakers only switch, and if so, has it improved the sound quality significantly?

Thanks in advance for your help! This is my first Lexus, and I'm very impressed. Its wonderful.

Last edited by knappster7; 06-14-22 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 04:40 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

I have no answer, but I'll be very interested to hear if anybody does.

Right now, the most available ES's are probably the Premium Package cars. If a buyer wants to keep the price reasonable and still likes their tunes, it might make sense to go the DIY route as you're considering rather than bend over for a whole fully loaded car or be unable to find one at all. I've always had good results in the past with simple speaker upgrades like this.
Old 06-15-22, 07:09 AM
knappster7
5th Gear

I went ahead and ordered the Hybrid Audio Unity U3/U6 speaker replacements for the base audio system (dash and doors). They are scheduled for installation in a couple of weeks. I'll provide feedback on the results when completed. I'll tackle the read deck subwoofer at a later date.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22, 08:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I think the amp like most cars from the past 10-15 years has a built in crossover so aftermarket speakers may not jive well with the door mids. theyll produce sound but the bass might be light. i notice the stock amp pushes much deeper and fuller bass with the stock door mids vs. aftermarket. so you may not notice a massive difference particularly for the door speakers. i think shops install a "clean sweep" which works with the stock stereo and gives the speakers a full signal.

the dash speakers will make a bigger difference though.

the sub makes the biggest difference. i'd say sub & dash speakers are all anyone needs w/ a base ES audio system.
Old 06-15-22, 08:31 AM
knappster7
5th Gear

Seems like solid advice. That is one of the reasons why I went with the shop recommendation for Hybrid Audio. The replacement door speakers are a mid-bass (https://hybrid.audio/product/unity-u6v2/). If I went with a coaxial speaker the tweeter wouldn't get fed a signal from the stock amp.

You are right on the money on what I believe the biggest bang for the buck will be. Sub is next but seems a bit more complicated. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-15-22, 08:34 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The sub is actually extremely easy. one of the easiest things i've done. i did the sub on my 2nd ES in less than 30 minutes! but that's cause i did it on my 1st ES and already learned how. i think if you click the blog in my signature i have a post there.
Old 06-15-22, 08:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^Those speakers look deep. they'll have to create some MDF rings (or whatever materials shops use these days) IIRC the door panels are shallow and the glass clearance is minimal. Your shop might run into some issues. cross fingers.

I tried to install some pretty shallow stuff on my ES (some plastic speaker mounts) and the door panel would not clear it on the corners. might run into some additional fab time. everything i did though is 100% reversible. did not modify the car at all.
Old 06-15-22, 08:37 AM
knappster7
5th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
The sub is actually extremely easy. one of the easiest things i've done. i did the sub on my 2nd ES in less than 30 minutes! but that's cause i did it on my 1st ES and already learned how. i think if you click the blog in my signature i have a post there.
Nice! I actually found and read your blog earlier today. Very helpful and complete info. Well done. That said, I've never installed car audio gear so am a bit hesitant. Home theater I can wire about anything, but cars for some reason make me nervous. :-)
Old 06-15-22, 08:38 AM
knappster7
5th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
^Those speakers look deep. they'll have to create some MDF rings (or whatever materials shops use these days) IIRC the door panels are shallow and the glass clearance is minimal. Your shop might run into some issues. cross fingers.

I tried to install some pretty shallow stuff on my ES (some plastic speaker mounts) and the door panel would not clear it on the corners. might run into some additional fab time. everything i did though is 100% reversible. did not modify the car at all.
You are right. I think that I linked the wrong version of that speaker. Pretty sure they are ordering this one: https://hybrid.audio/product/unity-u6-s/.
Old 06-15-22, 10:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^those look much more workable. they should fit. You should hear a difference in clarity with the mids. I did. but the bass suffered a lot, but the subwoofer overcame that.

Basically to access the sub you remove the driver's headrest and move the seat forward and up. and accesing the amp is a breeze. tap the signal wire and power wire for remote turn on, wrap it up in furry/fuzzy tape (to look oem) and run the wires to the truck. just use your fingers to pop off the plastic panels that run along the driver's floor and snake the wires in. use more furry tape for the wires that enter the trunk for a seamless look. connect your amp power kit to the battery. easy.