ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Computer chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-22, 05:50 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
What are you doing with the 40 extra horsepower?

The FWD V6 ES can barely handle the power it already has.
I honestly don't believe a chip for an ES will give you a 13% gain. Placebo chip.
I would not chip the ES at all. Not the car to buy for modders.
I bought the F-Sport for looks and not for sport.
That said, I do wish that Lexus gave a bit more hp either on all the 350s or at least their claimed "F-Sport". While I agree that 302hp is a lot for a FWD and arguable close to "too much", a little more oomph on the highway would have been nice. I upgraded from a 2018 Toyota Camry 3.5 XSE. Same/similar engine. Due to the additional weight on the ES, it's noticeably slower.
To all the naysayers, yes I knew this coming into buying an ES. Well worth the trade off and yes it's for luxury cruising not "sport". Just wishing, nothing more.
Old 06-17-22, 06:14 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusJoey
I honestly don't believe a chip for an ES will give you a 13% gain. Placebo chip.
I would not chip the ES at all. Not the car to buy for modders.
I bought the F-Sport for looks and not for sport.
That said, I do wish that Lexus gave a bit more hp either on all the 350s or at least their claimed "F-Sport". While I agree that 302hp is a lot for a FWD and arguable close to "too much", a little more oomph on the highway would have been nice. I upgraded from a 2018 Toyota Camry 3.5 XSE. Same/similar engine. Due to the additional weight on the ES, it's noticeably slower.
To all the naysayers, yes I knew this coming into buying an ES. Well worth the trade off and yes it's for luxury cruising not "sport". Just wishing, nothing more.
Totally off topic: my father-in-law is debating between Camry and ES. Having had both in TNGA chassis and loaded, would you say the ES is worth the extra almost $10k?

What are The main differences that convinced you?
Old 06-17-22, 06:44 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Totally off topic: my father-in-law is debating between Camry and ES. Having had both in TNGA chassis and loaded, would you say the ES is worth the extra almost $10k?

What are The main differences that convinced you?
Both my cars are/were loaded, and strictly speaking about TNGA platorm Camry/ES.
I won't bore you with all the little nick pics between the 2 cars. YouTube reviews can get you those. To summarize in short:
Advantage Toyota: Price is cheaper. Disadvantage: Not that some people care, but they are EVERYWHERE. Biggest gripe to me, no memory seats (multi driver family).
Advantage Lexus. It's a Lexus. Better build, better materials overall. While the engine and transmission are the same, the Lexus drives better and smoother. More comfortable and more quiet ride. Disadvantage: Additional weight. It does cost more.

What it comes down to is that the Camry is about 90% of what a Lexus ES would be. The additional cost gets you status, more powered luxury (auto tilt steering, etc), sound insulation, higher grade materials, 1% better tech). Just a little brother of the same car.

Side note. If your father-in-law wants something more than a Camry but not as much as an ES, then have him consider an Avalon. I test drove them before buying the ES. Based on my comparison, lets say it's 95% of what the ES would be. At the time, the Avalon was about $5k cheaper than the ES. It came down to incremental price and changes, to a point that I either keep the Camry or go full ES.

Last edited by LexusJoey; 06-17-22 at 07:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexusJoey:
DaveGS4 (06-17-22), LexFinally (06-17-22), Lexusfreak (06-19-22)
Old 06-17-22, 05:43 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I would get your father in law to drive all 3....the Camry, Avalon & ES...put the ball back in his court....let him decide what suits him best.

I personally really liked the Avalon (the Camry is too mainstream)....but when you dig deep between the Avalon & ES....well I'm on my 3rd ES. The Avalon is nice....but something about the ES that does it for me.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 06-17-22, 06:08 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I would get your father in law to drive all 3....the Camry, Avalon & ES...put the ball back in his court....let him decide what suits him best.

I personally really liked the Avalon (the Camry is too mainstream)....but when you dig deep between the Avalon & ES....well I'm on my 3rd ES. The Avalon is nice....but something about the ES that does it for me.

Let us know how you make out.

Unfortunately most dealers around here don't offer test drives anymore.

They"allow" you to buy a car from them if you are desperate and come back in several months to pick it up.

I have the ES though and he has a 2014 Camry, but not current gen