ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Computer chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 01:58 PM
MWBOHICA
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer chips

I love my Lexus, but miss the power of my Infiniti Q50. I installed a 40 hp chip from Thornton and now the power is equal or better. I keep hearing pros and cons of these chips and would love feedback from this esteemed group.
Old 06-15-22, 02:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Pass. https://www.bbb.org/us/ga/columbus/p...nc-0743-105629

Most performance chips are a scam. If you want a real tune get it from a reputable ecu tune shop that focuses on Lexus, not a chip that is one size

from your profile, you put this in an es350?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-15-22 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-15-22, 02:43 PM
MWBOHICA
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es

Yes it’s an Es350 fSport with all the options. I have a need for throttle therapy, but retired on fixed income.
Old 06-15-22, 03:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I suspect you won’t have much luck with a tune for the ES, but I’m moving your post to the correct model forum
Old 06-15-22, 04:15 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

Depends on the "chip" but many are simply resistors that trick some engine sensors. Personally I would avoid them if I was under powertrain warranty because if it messes something up you have voided your factory warranty.
Old 06-15-22, 04:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Depends on the "chip" but many are simply resistors that trick some engine sensors. Personally I would avoid them if I was under powertrain warranty because if it messes something up you have voided your factory warranty.
That should be the major concern if still under warranty. Manufacturers have been clamping down on aftermarket tunes/chips.
Old 06-15-22, 05:20 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Tunes and chips really only make a big difference on turbo powered car because they can easily increase boost pressure for a quick HP gain. In a naturally aspirated engine they only change the timing which would require you to 100% run premium fuel to see any benefits and even then your talking about 10hp or so at best. Now if you removed the cat, installed headers, larger throttle body and such the correct tune could make more power by bringing together the new modifications.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (06-16-22)
Old 06-15-22, 09:06 PM
veeinc
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

There's a company called D3 Performance that makes a tuner for Camry and Avalon. I imagine it could also work for the ES.
https://d3performance.net/index.php/...ormance-tuner/
Old 06-16-22, 07:33 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That should be the major concern if still under warranty. Manufacturers have been clamping down on aftermarket tunes/chips.
I read/heard Ferrari are now designing their engines so that they heavily malfunction if you install an aftermarket exhaust. And no one can figure out how they are doing it. Some how the car uses various sensors to figure it out and a lot of lines of code. I hope this becomes the norm in the auto industry. I feel it will with technology. May take a while to trickle down.

I like that and I'm all for it. Ask a younger me though 20 years ago and I'd be all upset!
Old 06-16-22, 07:56 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

To me Lexus ES equates to serene, soft, quiet, isolated ride.

My 218hp es300h had plenty of power for me. I can actually spin the wheels off the line. Can't imagine what 300+ hp will do to a heavy front wheel drive car.

If goes with Lack of GS Lexus is forcing people to tune the ES into a GS.

The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 08:25 AM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I read/heard Ferrari are now designing their engines so that they heavily malfunction if you install an aftermarket exhaust. And no one can figure out how they are doing it. Some how the car uses various sensors to figure it out and a lot of lines of code. I hope this becomes the norm in the auto industry. I feel it will with technology. May take a while to trickle down.

I like that and I'm all for it. Ask a younger me though 20 years ago and I'd be all upset!
Why do you want this to become the norm? Doesn't this mean those cars will be more difficult and expensive to fix as they get older?
Old 06-16-22, 09:25 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 951 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by justim
Why do you want this to become the norm? Doesn't this mean those cars will be more difficult and expensive to fix as they get older?
It will also put aftermarket tuners out of business, which is exactly what happened to most of the car stereo industry when carmakers fully integrated the sound system so you were forced to buy any upgrades as marked-up OEM from them. Even though I'm not the type to chip my cars, I agree this isn't any cause for celebration.

BTW, I also agree with the comment that chipping is basically useful only if you have a turbo. It's a well proven upgrade path for GTI's, and for WRX owners who want to blow their engines, but not for naturally aspirated mills like this one.

And honestly, I have all I can do to not light up my tires with the stock 302 hp anyway. I wouldn't even want more unless the car were otherwise modified to put the power to the ground. Since neither AWD nor limited slip can be retrofitted to the V6 car, that's a dead end. Overall, you're well advised to view the ES F Sport as a cosmetic dress-up and mild handling upgrade that cost Lexus very little to offer, and adjust your performance expectations downward accordingly. Ultimately this is still a comfort car that's semi-affordable because it's built on inherently limited family sedan bones.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
DaveGS4 (06-16-22), UltraLux22 (06-17-22)
Old 06-16-22, 09:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by justim
If it's sensors & software, then it should be like any other sensor+software combo like BSM, cruise control etc. Which are all generally reliable. I wouldn't forsee any specific issues. Also most would also not have any issues with exhausts and by the time they do, such parts would be dirt cheap anyway.

Also I tend to get a new car every 2-3 years so that doesn't matter to me personally anyway.

I think the exhaust is one of those things that should be absolutely locked down and people should not be allowed to touch. Disturbs the peace and all that!
Old 06-16-22, 09:52 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MWBOHICA
I love my Lexus, but miss the power of my Infiniti Q50. I installed a 40 hp chip from Thornton and now the power is equal or better. I keep hearing pros and cons of these chips and would love feedback from this esteemed group.
What are you doing with the 40 extra horsepower?

The FWD V6 ES can barely handle the power it already has.
Old 06-16-22, 02:04 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MWBOHICA
I personally wouldn't touch any 'aftermarket' chip that claims to offer a huge power boost & start messing around with the vehicles computer etc. & yes as others have stated, I too think it's complete BS....for me 302 HP is more than enough.

If I wanted more horsepower & torque (and probably my own casket), I would have bought a Hellcat (which I have driven & don't mind saying....it scared the absolute S&%T out of me!)

Quick Reply: Computer chips