ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

rear trunk lip spoiler thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 03:34 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question rear trunk lip spoiler thoughts?

I have been debating on if I should put a real lip spoiler on the trunk of my ES...similar to the hybrid.

Interestingly enough that 'option' shows it is available in the 2020 ES brochure....however they are no longer offered here for the ES.

Has anyone put on an aftermarket one or do I even bother....I thought it would be a nice little 'subtle' touch to the back end.

For the size, I would prefer something that has like a 3M adhesive type of install vs. drilling into the trunk itself....I have looked online & have not come up with anything that does anything for me.

Just curious on your opinions & interested in the folks that have installed one & their thoughts. Perhaps vendors here can chime in as well?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-22, 05:23 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I like the factory rear deck spoiler on the ES that Lexus sells and installs. I have used an aftermarket spoiler from eBay on an Accord that was held on by 3M tape and had no problems in the past.
Old 06-15-22, 06:26 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dallas250
I like the factory rear deck spoiler on the ES that Lexus sells and installs. I have used an aftermarket spoiler from eBay on an Accord that was held on by 3M tape and had no problems in the past.
That's the problem....Lexus Canada is telling me that the OE spoiler has been discontinued...

That is from the 2020 brochure...
Old 06-15-22, 06:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
That's the problem....Lexus Canada is telling me that the OE spoiler has been discontinued...

That is from the 2020 brochure...
Even on the FSport trim??
Old 06-16-22, 07:49 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

I have is on my 2020 ES300h in Canada. Even though i like it, I wouldn't go out of my way to install one on the car that didn't have one.

I find it holds water and salt water in winter under the spoiler and doesn't drain the water off the top of trunk lid well.
Old 06-16-22, 08:04 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 361 Likes on 218 Posts

This didn’t go well last time around. I guess, by and large, it’s a matter of taste. With the exception of the F Sport (which is really a trim package, by and large) the ES has generally be considered a luxury oriented car. The spoiler, which likely doesn’t do all that much for down force generation or mpg, to me, at least, doesn’t match that luxury style. People are free, of course, to do what they want with their cars, but I stick in the camp of no to the spoiler for most ES configurations.
Old 06-16-22, 09:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ATL350
This didn’t go well last time around. I guess, by and large, it’s a matter of taste. With the exception of the F Sport (which is really a trim package, by and large) the ES has generally be considered a luxury oriented car. The spoiler, which likely doesn’t do all that much for down force generation or mpg, to me, at least, doesn’t match that luxury style. People are free, of course, to do what they want with their cars, but I stick in the camp of no to the spoiler for most ES configurations.
I doubt anyone thinks the spoiler is a performance option.
Old 06-16-22, 09:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I think the factory hybrid spoiler is excellent and adds a bit of style to the rear. Whereas without it, it appears bald/base model/stripped. I like the premium aesthetic it provides.
Old 06-16-22, 10:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think the factory hybrid spoiler is excellent and adds a bit of style to the rear. Whereas without it, it appears bald/base model/stripped. I like the premium aesthetic it provides.
I agree - ANY ES trim to me looks better with it than without it. Subjective I know.
Old 06-16-22, 01:41 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Even on the FSport trim??
I didn't ask that specific question but I know the parts manager looked it up for anything available for my 2020 & he said they no longer offer it.

I wonder what happens if someone has an accident with their FSport or Hybrid with the OE spoiler & it needs to be replaced...weird.

Perhaps a shopping trip to the US is in order LOL. Maybe Lexus USA still offers them.
Old 06-16-22, 01:42 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by E46CT
Also agreed!
Old 06-16-22, 02:42 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 951 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I didn't ask that specific question but I know the parts manager looked it up for anything available for my 2020 & he said they no longer offer it.

I wonder what happens if someone has an accident with their FSport or Hybrid with the OE spoiler & it needs to be replaced...weird.

Perhaps a shopping trip to the US is in order LOL. Maybe Lexus USA still offers them.
That is truly bizarre. In the States, the factory forced me to take the spoiler as part of my '22 UL when I specifically pushed to not have it. It almost has to be the exact same spoiler.
Old 06-16-22, 03:03 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFinally
That is truly bizarre. In the States, the factory forced me to take the spoiler as part of my '22 UL when I specifically pushed to not have it. It almost has to be the exact same spoiler.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

I have not given up...definitely will do more digging.
Old 06-17-22, 10:57 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 484 Likes on 302 Posts

As an owner of the F Sport trim, I do like the more subtle spoiler. Anything bigger probably wouldn't look good. I've seen a few ES around here without it and it looks pretty good as well.
Old 06-17-22, 02:34 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by dezymond
As an owner of the F Sport trim, I do like the more subtle spoiler. Anything bigger probably wouldn't look good. I've seen a few ES around here without it and it looks pretty good as well.
Perhaps I need to reach out to a couple of Lexus dealers in the US (I am just over an hour from Port Huron MI).

What are the best site folks would recommend that I could reach out to find out more info?

I prefer an OE Lexus 'lip' spoiler, nothing aftermarket.

Quick Reply: rear trunk lip spoiler thoughts?