ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Chrome delete gone terribly wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 09:37 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Chrome delete gone terribly wrong!

Keep in mind I paid a professional to do the chrome delete on my car yesterday. The company has several locations with a corporate office in another city. The chrome delete job looks horrible they scratched my car and four different places with the knife that they used to cut the vinyl and they even cut the weatherstripping on the back driver side window. I had paid a deposit of $330 and was supposed to pay the remainder when I pick the car up but I refuse to pay and told them I wanted to speak with a manager higher up then who was on staff. In total the chrome delete was $667 and for that price I expect a professional job with no bubbles no creases and to look almost factory. Instead I got a horrible job with bubbles and creases and now new scratches they were not even on the car when I dropped it off. My car is a 2022 ES 350 F sport with 3500 miles on it and his garage kept so to say it is in immaculate condition would not be a stretch whatsoever. Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think and if I’m being overcritical. I hope this link works for pictures are too large so I create an iCloud link

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dcs...t50zynJFUViDsw

Last edited by Dallas250; 06-18-22 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-18-22, 10:41 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

That is not a good job at all, I thought it was painted at first. I'd be livid about the new scratches and that's something they should offer to fix.

Did you inspect before you drove the vehicle off their property? Cause if not, good luck, they'll just say those scratches came from something else while on your way home.
Old 06-18-22, 11:08 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dezymond
That is not a good job at all, I thought it was painted at first. I'd be livid about the new scratches and that's something they should offer to fix.

Did you inspect before you drove the vehicle off their property? Cause if not, good luck, they'll just say those scratches came from something else while on your way home.
Yes as soon as I looked it over I went inside and told them to come out and look at this garbage. It was Friday at 5pm and no manager was on-site so he took a video and pictures and said he would send them to both managers and have someone call me. They are closed on the weekends so it will be Monday before I hear from anyone. I also sent an email to the corporate office with a Narrated video. I need to go to Lexus and get a quote for repairing the scratches to see what I’m going to expect them to cover.
Old 06-18-22, 12:43 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas250
Yes as soon as I looked it over I went inside and told them to come out and look at this garbage. It was Friday at 5pm and no manager was on-site so he took a video and pictures and said he would send them to both managers and have someone call me. They are closed on the weekends so it will be Monday before I hear from anyone. I also sent an email to the corporate office with a Narrated video. I need to go to Lexus and get a quote for repairing the scratches to see what I’m going to expect them to cover.
Hopefully everything turns out alright. Guessing those scratches are deep enough for your nail to get caught in.
The following users liked this post:
Dallas250 (06-18-22)
Old 06-18-22, 05:30 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Oh man, I'm so sorry about those scratches.
Old 06-18-22, 06:41 PM
chrisdabos
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is this so if it's in Houston i'll stay away from it
Old 06-19-22, 09:01 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

That is just incredible. Not only was that a terrible job, but those scratches would have sent me ballistic. Sorry about your luck. That shop was clearly not qualified to do the job. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but this reinforces the idea of asking to see a sample of the work and perhaps request references before the work is performed. This is a very good lesson for all of us that hire work to be performed on our cars. I'm sure others will chime in that this is why they do their own work but I know many of us don't have the time or skillset to perform this type of work.
Old 06-19-22, 11:50 AM
RavingDave
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a terrible job and sorry to see those scratches, hopefully they are not too deep and can be polished out. I chrome deleted my sons car a couple of years ago. Never done one before and I did a much better job that what these guys did for you. I will say, its tricky not to nick the weather stripping when trimming so I hope they didn't damage more than you can see. For what its worth and in my opinion, chrome delete using vinyl wrap is only good for a couple of years at most. Sun and heat (especially in TX) will takes its toll and it will start lifting in areas. I'd ask for your money back and pull the vinyl off. If you really, really want to chrome delete, pay to get the parts painted. Good luck and sorry to see these clowns mess up your car.
Old 06-19-22, 11:56 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Those scratches won’t come out. They are cut with a craft knife used for the wrap.

The Lexus paint is also very soft.

Also, you’ll likely to see more scratches under the wrap.

Best thing to do is ask them to take all the wrap off and then assess the damage.
Old 06-19-22, 01:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Those scratches won’t come out. They are cut with a craft knife used for the wrap.

Best thing to do is ask them to take all the wrap off and then assess the damage.
Yes, if the scratches have penetrated through the clear coat, which appears to be the case, the only fix will be to refinish the panels with damage, and, depending on how difficult the paint technical is finding it to properly match the color, it may require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Sadly, doing the repairs is not likely to be an easy or inexpensive job.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-22, 03:30 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 703

I pulled that ****ty wrap off five minutes after I pulled into my garage and just like you were thinking I was betting on cut marks in the chrome considering how bad they did but to my surprise the chrome looked very good. I hope to speak to somebody tomorrow about getting my deposit back and payment for the damages. At some point the car will get scratches during normal abuse so I’m thinking if I can get them to refund my money and give me say $1000 for damages I’ll go buy the chrome wheels that I was looking at and call it good. I really like the Rohana RC7, I think,it would really pop on my ultrasonic blue Mica with the chrome around the windows.

Last edited by Dallas250; 06-19-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-19-22, 04:20 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas250
refund my money and give me say $1000 for damages I’ll go buy the chrome wheels that I was looking at and call it good.
Doing a fix and repaint on your car might eat up a good portion of that "$1000."

Old 06-19-22, 04:44 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Doing a fix and repaint on your car might eat up a good portion of that "$1000."
no I’m thinking just leave them because it’s gonna happen at some point and there’s really only one that the average person would see without really looking closely. And repaint on a brand-new car could turn out to be worse than leaving the scratches.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas250:
LeeSoFL (06-20-22), TechNut (06-20-22)
Old 06-20-22, 02:37 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Yes I have learnt over the years not to do touch up on paint. If it’s serious enough have it repainted, else leave it or if undercoat is gone too then put a thin layer of top coat on to prevent rusting.
Old 06-20-22, 02:50 AM
AndrewLWSN
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely horrible.
Before I bought my ES, I was already thinking about chrome deleting my car, until I saw it in person and actually dig the chrome on my Caviar paint (one of the few exceptions ; matches well with the 18 inch noise reduction wheels). One thing to note is that the bits of wraps that are left hanging/not fully adhere to the car will eventfully have dirt in it and will start to peel off a little bit. I have a clear bra on my entire front and mirrors and the parts that are not fully adhere started to peel off just a little bit. Luckily, it is tucked on the inside part, so it is not noticeable. For the scratches, you can always fix it with EOM paint pen (you can buy it at your local dealership for about 20$). I fixed many mini rock chips cracks with it (you could see rust started to appear in those little cracks) and I managed to put the right amount of paint so I didn't even need to buff the excess off. Like you said, absolutely no one will notice it from afar and it will depend how OCD you are with your car.

Quick Reply: Chrome delete gone terribly wrong!