ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Custom ambient light swap PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 09:22 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
where are you thinking about putting the extra lights please let me know cause I want to add more on the dashboard so I like some other opinions or ideals I’m waiting on my kit to arrive but I can order more strips if I can think of more area to light up, also you mention that when it’s in gears is it a lot less bright cause I might end up wiring it somewhere that doesn’t dim the light when out of parked
Along the plastic piece on the door that houses the window switch there is a straight area there. Also on the console sides where there is straight lines (where the top plastic piece sits down into the main part of the console).
Can you send me the link for the strips cause I can’t find the strips only the full kit with the wood on it thank you so much
I posted info on the kit I ordered earlier in the thread, see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11320046 (I got the 18-in-1 full kit)
Old 08-27-23, 10:16 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Here is an updated pic. I bought a few more segments because if I can I'm going to add some shorter strips in new locations but I have my doubts that they will fit where I'm thinking...

I just noticed that your front door handles don't appear to be illuminated. Are they done and it's just not showing up or was there a reason for not doing them? What's your favorite color to set them at so far?

Either way, it looks Fantastic!
Old 08-27-23, 10:18 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by FreddyG
I just noticed that your front door handles don't appear to be illuminated. Are they done and it's just not showing up or was there a reason for not doing them? What's your favorite color to set them at so far? Either way, it looks Fantastic!
They do have illumination but given the angle of the LED and the stock housing it's extremely dim, barely noticeable. Kind of like the factory ambient strip LOL
Old 08-27-23, 10:26 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Is this what you're talking about for the console? I thinking that would look pretty nice. I couldn't figure out where you were talking about for the door or I'd have done that too.

I had thought that it was between the door rest and the door panel joint but wasn't sure.
Old 08-27-23, 09:13 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Is this what you're talking about for the console? I thinking that would look pretty nice. I couldn't figure out where you were talking about for the door or I'd have done that too. I had thought that it was between the door rest and the door panel joint but wasn't sure.
That's pretty much where I'm hoping to fit it on the console, yes, on each side. For the power window trim, I was thinking on the bottom edge of that panel that pops out, between it and the door panel immediately below it.

Last edited by LS500Fan; 08-27-23 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-30-23, 02:21 AM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So I love ambient lighting but don't want to buy a Mercedes or BMW to get it. My '22 ES300h UL came with pathetic dim ambient lighting. I am currently experimenting with some brighter color LED strips.

Here's a test I did. It taps into the existing power wire and dims when you put the car in gear. It's pretty darn bright, maybe too bright. The LED strip I used I had to cut and modify and you can see the dark and light spots along the full strip (no diffusion) so I have ordered different light strips that won't have that affect.

Let me know what you think.

I am aware there are aftermarket kits that replace the whole wood piece but I have the new open pore walnut trim and the aftermarket pieces either come in black or light bamboo wood look so they would look out of place and not match. But that's the sort of thing I'm trying to do, is get brighter illumination with color choices (I could settle also for just blue light).

you mentioned that since you wired it to the oem ambient light that it dims out of park..
is it super dim or like 10 % lost of brightness..

sorry for all the questions I just want to get everything installed correctly in my taste..

Old 08-30-23, 10:48 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

you mentioned that since you wired it to the oem ambient light that it dims out of park..
is it super dim or like 10 % lost of brightness.. sorry for all the questions I just want to get everything installed correctly in my taste..
I would say it dims from 100% brightness when in park to ~75% brightness when not in park.

With that said I am considering tapping it to accessory power so it stays at 100% brightness at all times because I don't drive at night as much as the day. I kind of want 100% brightness all day now 😁
Old 08-30-23, 12:45 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Maybe the wrong place to ask, but is there a way to brighten the factory ambient lighting a bit without making the gage cluster more bright?
Old 08-30-23, 03:05 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,031 Likes on 768 Posts

Not possible.
Old 08-31-23, 12:45 AM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would say it dims from 100% brightness when in park to ~75% brightness when not in park.

With that said I am considering tapping it to accessory power so it stays at 100% brightness at all times because I don't drive at night as much as the day. I kind of want 100% brightness all day now 😁

im the opposite I only drive at night!!!

so at night at 75 % is it really bright or 100% is better (preferred )at night??

wow so at 100 (parked)
you can actually see the lights during the day?

btw how’s the led light bars holding up so far since you installed it??

thank you very much
Old 08-31-23, 09:08 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

im the opposite I only drive at night!!!
so at night at 75 % is it really bright or 100% is better (preferred )at night??
wow so at 100 (parked)
you can actually see the lights during the day?
btw how’s the led light bars holding up so far since you installed it??
thank you very much
75% brightness is not super bright. You can use the phone app to reduce it from 0-100% brightness that way so don't get too hung up on whether you should tap into stock ambient light power or just wire it directly. You can easily adjust the brightness to your liking you are not limited to what I mentioned.

I can see the lights during the day when they are at full brightness, I will try to get a pic for you.

I did have one issue with flaky power because I am running most of the system off of one ambient light power from the RR door. I have bypassed that for now. After my experience of tapping into the ambient power wires and messing them up I can say you are safer to just wire them to normal accessory power. That's my fault though because I accidentally shorted the wires out early on and the stock ambient lighting at the dashboard (& footwells) and those stopped working.
Old 08-31-23, 05:26 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Daytime pic (100% brightness level):

And I added some extra light strips, they're not perfect in terms of fitment I may go back and add some adhesive or tape to keep them in place better.

The following 4 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
BBQapple (08-31-23), FreddyG (09-01-23), KMiles (08-31-23), Mrbungle11 (08-31-23)
Old 09-01-23, 09:15 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Night time shots (slightly over-blown brightness). Do you think it's too much???

The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (09-18-23)
Old 09-01-23, 12:16 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Daytime pic (100% brightness level):

And I added some extra light strips, they're not perfect in terms of fitment I may go back and add some adhesive or tape to keep them in place better.

Those turned out Great! I like how they just add to the ambience of the cabin. This is just a thought because you seem to have a talent for wiring these things up but I think that it would look pretty cool is to put an LED in the bottom of cup holder, so that when you put your clear water bottle in there, it would glow the selected color.

My Buddy has that done in his ZL1 and it looks slick!
Old 09-02-23, 03:30 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Night time shots (slightly over-blown brightness). Do you think it's too much???
I love it. In your kit, did they not add a piece for the short bit of dash trim to the left of the steering wheel? I don't think I'd have the time to do a mod as extensive as yours, but it kills me that the stock ambient is not there. Thinking of doing a mod to just add that light and make it look stock. thoughts?

Quick Reply: Custom ambient light swap PROJECT