ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Hybrid 300h vs V6 ES350? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 11:00 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
Interesting, I didn't know there was a difference in drag between the two, since they're the same body with no noticeable differences, other than the rear bumper.
There was a thread about this a while back. Apparently the hybrid has shutters behind the grille.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
dezymond (07-05-22), radiologym (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 11:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by UTChE96
Depends on how much you drive and your personal driving preferences. I loved how the V6 felt and only drive 6k miles a year.
For that amount of driving, the V6 is a no brainer. Sorry hybrid buddies
The following users liked this post:
UTChE96 (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 12:08 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
For that amount of driving, the V6 is a no brainer. Sorry hybrid buddies
No love loss here. Hehe. As long as you are buying the vehicle for the right reasons it is all good. I am just surprise some people drive mostly in the stop and go traffic then complain their V6 gets awful mpg. Getting the right tool for the job is important.
Old 07-05-22, 12:09 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rooseveltd
Definitely get the hybrid, especially with the way gas prices are now, I have an ES250 AWD and I love it, I drive over 20k miles a year commuting to Boston and the 28.7 combined MPG I am averaging is not terrible but makes me wish I had the Hybrid instead. I had to get the AWD because I drive through snow in the winter and I don't want t6o have top buy and store snow tires. If they ever come out with an ES hybrid with AWD I am buying it on the spot. The ES300h drives great, is very reliable, possibly quieter and the ES350 and will be amazing when it comes to saving you fuel expenses every month. I pay about $64 a week just for gas.
rooseveltd,
I get 28.8 mpg to 29 mpg combined average both in my 2022 Avalon Limited V6 and in my 2022 ES350 V6 Ultra Luxury. We get the same gas mileage in each of our V6's with combined driving that you get in your 4 cylinder ES250 and each of our vehicles has more horsepower and torque than the ES250.

Last edited by glamglam; 07-05-22 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-05-22, 01:26 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ionian
No love loss here. Hehe. As long as you are buying the vehicle for the right reasons it is all good. I am just surprise some people drive mostly in the stop and go traffic then complain their V6 gets awful mpg. Getting the right tool for the job is important.
of course but when you drive 500 miles/month, who gives a rat's behind about mpg😍

Last edited by mikemu30; 07-07-22 at 06:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
hotwings (10-09-23), UTChE96 (07-06-22)
Old 07-05-22, 04:26 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
rooseveltd,
I get 28.8 mpg to 29 mpg combined average both in my 2022 Avalon Limited V6 and in my 2022 ES350 V6 Ultra Luxury. We get the same gas mileage in each of our V6's with combined driving that you get in your 4 cylinder ES250 and each of our vehicles has more horsepower and torque than the ES250.
You posted in another thread you took a 150mi (?) road trip and got barely 26mpg combined on all highway. How did your average mpg suddenly jump up to 3mpg more?
Old 07-05-22, 05:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You posted in another thread you took a 150mi (?) road trip and got barely 26mpg combined on all highway. How did your average mpg suddenly jump up to 3mpg more?
Computer error🤑
LexFinally (07-05-22)
Old 07-06-22, 10:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Interesting, I didn't know there was a difference in drag between the two, since they're the same body with no noticeable differences, other than the rear bumper.

CA gas prices, I feel ya. Definitely feels much better to fill this up than my V6 previously every 4 days (and on Premium gas). Longest stretch I've gone between fill-ups with my 300h is 11 days even though I didn't drive much at all on some of those days. Right now I'm at 7 days with little more than half a tank and 275mi on the range left (I think I did 250mi on it so far).
It seems the difference comes down to the active shutters on the hybrid. you can see them in the front grill opening. Given the low load/low demand on the ICE with the hybrid, it can likely drive with the shutters closed or partially closed much of the time. would be fun to see a tech doc to see specifically how they operate.

the cool thing about the V6 i would like is the sound/drama of starting an engine in the morning. hybrids are so boring to start up. LOL
dezymond (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 10:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
It seems the difference comes down to the active shutters on the hybrid. you can see them in the front grill opening. Given the low load/low demand on the ICE with the hybrid, it can likely drive with the shutters closed or partially closed much of the time. would be fun to see a tech doc to see specifically how they operate.

the cool thing about the V6 i would like is the sound/drama of starting an engine in the morning. hybrids are so boring to start up. LOL
The more exciting sound is gunning it accelerating onto the freeway
dklanecky1 (07-07-22)
Old 07-06-22, 11:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

I believe that the active shutters operate/close only when the ambient temperature drops below a certain level. Their purpose is to reduce the volume of cold winter air entering the engine compartment so that the ICE doesn't need to run as much just to keep the engine warm, and that, in turn, allows the vehicle to run on electric power more of the time.
Old 07-06-22, 01:07 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I’ve driven 234 miles so far and I still have over 1/2 tank of gas left inside my ES350’s gas tank. I don’t know how my average mpg jumped up to 3 mpg more. I drive very smoothly and within the posted speed limit on city roads and I don’t drive anymore than 65 - 67 mph on the highway. Maybe my car is just one of those vehicles that’s blessed to get higher mpg gasoline economy than some other ES350’s out there. I cannot explain that phenomenon.
Old 07-06-22, 04:09 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

They stay open when you turn the car off. They stay open if the temp drops below freezing. Also open when the A/C is on.
They remain closed when there’s plenty of cold water inside the radiator and when you drive on EV.
Old 07-06-22, 05:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ESh
They stay open when you turn the car off. They stay open if the temp drops below freezing. Also open when the A/C is on.
They remain closed when there’s plenty of cold water inside the radiator and when you drive on EV.
I don't believe that is correct. Actually, when the temperature is below freezing, that is when the active shutters close. As I said in my previous post, when it is very cold and when the shutters are closed, that helps the ICE to retain heat, which, in turn, means that the ICE doesn't have to run as much to maintain heat, and that means that the traction battery can be used to power the car more.

What you said that is correct is that, when the car is shut down, the shutters move to the open position.
Old 07-06-22, 05:30 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I don't believe that is correct. Actually, when the temperature is below freezing, that is when the active shutters close. As I said in my previous post, when it is very cold and when the shutters are closed, that helps the ICE to retain heat, which, in turn, means that the ICE doesn't have to run as much to maintain heat, and that means that the traction battery can be used to power the car more. What you said that is correct is that, when the car is shut down, the shutters move to the open position.
​​​​No, the shutters open at least partially in freezing conditions, to ensure they don't freeze closed which would be bad as it can cause engine overheating.
Old 07-06-22, 06:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
​​​​No, the shutters open at least partially in freezing conditions, to ensure they don't freeze closed which would be bad as it can cause engine overheating.
Yes, that is correct. But my point was that it is very cold weather that triggers the shutters to (almost completely) close. When it is warmer that doesn't happen, and the reason for the operation of the shutters is to allow the ICE to retain heat in cold weather.

Quick Reply: Hybrid 300h vs V6 ES350? (Merged threads)