ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

The infamous six-month service visit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-22, 07:41 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertJay
I will be getting my first oil change at 4,000 miles which is about how much I drive in 12 months now that I'm retired and a homebody.
What type of oil should I purchase and take to my dealer for them to use? Only the best for my baby. Probably will keep my 2022 Lexus 350 Luxury forever...lol
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
I did my first oil change at 1k miles and used Motul. I will be doing a second at 5k miles and then going with every 5k miles/6 months from there.

Any brand will do if you're planning on changing at 5k mile intervals because it's a fairly frequent oil change. That being said I have used Mobil1, Amazon basics, Royal Purple, and Motul all with no issues in my previous car at intervals of about 7-7.5k miles. If you change it frequently then your engine should be fine, per TCC.
The following users liked this post:
ukcats (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 08:51 AM
RobertJay
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually go once a year because I never reach the 10,000 mile limit. Am I ok doing that?
Rob
Old 07-31-22, 11:17 AM
dezymond
Instructor

I usually go once a year because I never reach the 10,000 mile limit. Am I ok doing that?
Rob
Watch the video and you'll see why 10k mile oil change is not a good thing. You can keep doing what your doing and you're within minimum range, but as you can see meeting the minimum will not save you money over time.

If you can't sit for the whole video, replacement of the short block at TCC's shop was $6k. Far more than what it would cost to have an extra oil change each year (I believe he said $1300 added over the same amount of time). So...yeah, I'll happily be on top of oil changes than to require a new block 150k miles down the line.

Last edited by dezymond; 07-31-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-31-22, 12:37 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
Watch the video and you'll see why 10k mile oil change is not a good thing. You can keep doing what your doing and you're within minimum range, but as you can see meeting the minimum will not save you money over time.

If you can't sit for the whole video, replacement of the short block at TCC's shop was $6k. Far more than what it would cost to have an extra oil change each year (I believe he said $1300 added over the same amount of time). So...yeah, I'll happily be on top of oil changes than to require a new block 150k miles down the line.
Only if you keep the car that long. So many lessees, they only need to the minimum and bid it farewell after 36 months.
UltraLux22 (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 12:51 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Just had my 10 K complementary oil change on my 2021 ES 350. I had changed oil at an indie shop at 3,000 mi. and now only had 4,000 miles more on the car but it was 18 months since date of purchase and they said the free 10K or 1 year benefit will no longer be honored after another couple weeks. Got the oil change, etc., as it had been almost a year since the 3k one, though only 4,000 more miles.
They're supposed to also rotate tires but guy pointed out it says "rotate if necessary" and he said it wasn't necessary, supposedly, to rotate mine, so they didn't. I wasn't very happy.
I declined their crappy free wash but enjoyed their free coffee and pastry.
Old 07-31-22, 02:52 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Regardless of being leased or purchased, lexus provides 2 complementary service visits for routine maintenance at their service department. They specify 5k 6 mos. and 10k 12 mos. They specify that primarily the first oil change is completed at 10k service but I asked for the oil change and rotation at both 5k and 10k without any issue. YMMV. If you have your 1st comp. service at 7k they will likely default to the 10k service unless you specify otherwise. If for example you want to have service completed on your own, whether it be at home or at a service provider of your choice, that’s your prerogative. You technically never have to use the complementary services as they are just that. I personally get tires rotated at Costco when that’s all I need completed as they are inexpensive compared to Lexus prices. When I use my comps. at the dealer I have them complete the oil changes and include the rotation too. As long as you have the necessary maintenance completed, even if you do it yourself, you should be safe warranty wise. That goes for leases too. Outside of tire rotations, I personally prefer to have the main services completed at Lexus. It’s peace of mind, even if it’s at a higher price, to to ensure that the necessary services will be completed correctly. Besides, if a warranty issue arises, I don’t want to have to worry if a mistake was made by a 3rd party. If a mistake was made by Lexus at least it could most likely be traced back to the service department. This lessens the chance of the “blame game” occurring.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 07-31-22 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-31-22, 03:49 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaboom
They're supposed to also rotate tires but guy pointed out it says "rotate if necessary" and he said it wasn't necessary, supposedly, to rotate mine, so they didn't. I wasn't very happy.
I declined their crappy free wash but enjoyed their free coffee and pastry.
It does specify, “Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required.” But I would have insisted on the tire rotation if that was your preference. I’ve found that Lexus service is usually quite accommodating but there can always be that one that might give push back. At that point I’d involve the service manager. But in my experience at this level, Lexus tends to strive to provide a more elevated, customer-centered experience but exceptions do occur.

One trick I use to check if a rotation has been completed is by marking each tire with a permanent marker in an obscure place. I’ll use a number or indicator that I could easily identify after the service.
I’ve used 1,2,3,4 or LF, RF, LR, RR. So far I’ve never had to call anyone out for not performing it.
Old 07-31-22, 07:18 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Does the warranty require it?
The short, simple answer is no, not technically. There is always the however..... If for example, service is required for some particular issue that would normally be a warrantable repair and can somehow be attributed or traced back to a lack of certain maintenance that would have prevented the need for that item to be repaired in the first place, then it's possible they could try to find causation to not honor the warranty. Lexus service would need to prove that negligence was the contributing factor for whatever issue would be in question as a warrantable repair. If that makes sense?
LexFinally (07-31-22)
Old 08-01-22, 08:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

TCCN is a good video. though ive been doing 5k a long long time and stand by it.

hybrids in particular don't get very hot very often. and the new ones use intricate variable pumping. so good clean oil is appreciated. so all the more reason on the hybrids.
Old 08-01-22, 12:07 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Just had my 10 K complementary oil change on my 2021 ES 350....
Exactly what was "the guy" pointing to that includes the "if necessary" on rotate tires on the 5000 mi/6 month and 10000 mi/12 month complementary services?

The [US] Lexus official "2021 Lexus ES 350, ES 250 Warranty and Services Guide (L-MMS-21ES350)" [pdf version] includes the following text in both the"Complimentary First Scheduled Maintenance Service: Six Months or 5,000 Miles" and "Complimentary Second Scheduled Maintenance Service: 12 Months or 10,000 Miles" sections:
Your complimentary service will include these items:
  • Rotate tires
There is no "if necessary" attached to that complementary service item.

While it might seem like a trivial matter, it raises the question of what else that dealer's service department is cutting corners on. I don't know if you've got anything concrete documenting the non-performance of the complementary service item but if you do you might try raising a complaint with Lexus corporate. Hard to say anything will come of it but if Lexus corporate isn't informed of shady dealer service corner cutting they will never know there's a dealer service problem that needs their attention to get fixed.

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
It does specify, “Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required.” ....
"as required" has a much different meaning than "if necessary".
ATL350 (08-03-22)
Old 08-01-22, 12:36 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by grp52
Exactly what was "the guy" pointing to that includes the "if necessary" on rotate tires on the 5000 mi/6 month and 10000 mi/12 month complementary services?

The [US] Lexus official "2021 Lexus ES 350, ES 250 Warranty and Services Guide (L-MMS-21ES350)" [pdf version] includes the following text in both the"Complimentary First Scheduled Maintenance Service: Six Months or 5,000 Miles" and "Complimentary Second Scheduled Maintenance Service: 12 Months or 10,000 Miles" sections:

While it might seem like a trivial matter, it raises the question of what else that dealer's service department is cutting corners on. I don't know if you've got anything concrete documenting the non-performance of the complementary service item but if you do you might try raising a complaint with Lexus corporate. Hard to say anything will come of it but if Lexus corporate isn't informed of shady dealer service corner cutting they will never know there's a dealer service problem that needs their attention to get fixed.

Sounds like the service advisor was trying to avoid completing that service and either stated "if necessary" or it was inferred as such. The advisors should be advocates for their customers and prolonging tire tread life should be one of those items. I would absolutely question this service dept. if they denied or suggested against a rotation at 5k. Even though the service has already taken place, I would contact the service manager and state that the rotation should have occured and if they refuse to provide it complementary, I'd take it up with corporate for sure!
Old 08-01-22, 01:29 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52

Says "rotate tires if required." Required by wear, by Lexus warranty by what? Would've liked to know if had been done so I can plan for next service visit.No big deal, just not very clear at all.

Old 08-02-22, 06:06 AM
RobertJay
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What type of oil do the dealers use?
Rob
Old 08-02-22, 07:41 AM
dezymond
Instructor

What type of oil do the dealers use?
Rob
All dealerships have the right viscosity and weight for specific models. However, each dealership varies in terms of brand of oil.
ATL350 (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 07:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Says "rotate tires if required." Required by wear, by Lexus warranty by what? Would've liked to know if had been done so I can plan for next service visit.No big deal, just not very clear at all.

Just required by common sense/logic, really. 5k is the gold standard no matter if you drive a kia, ford, bmw, lexus, honda, daihatsu. rotating the tires every 5k helps distribute the wear. you don't need to do it, just like you don't need to brush your teeth. but you also "need" to brush your teeth.

Quick Reply: The infamous six-month service visit