ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ES350 or Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-22 | 08:29 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Default ES350 or Tesla Model Y

Hi Everyone. I have decided on the ES 350 Lux 2023 model and am also considering a Tesla Model Y as the price range on both are similar in UAE where I live. I really like the ES 350 vs the ES 300h due to the v6 engine etc. As for the Tesla Model Y, I am not necessarily liking the interiors much to conclude. I even had a look at the Lexus RZ450e and really dislike the design on that one.

Any pointers to help me lean in a direction? I know the question is vague but any pointers would help.
Old 07-29-22 | 08:55 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Two completely different vehicles. Did you happen to test drive either?

You need to figure out what works for your living situation. Will you be able to charge the Y at home consistently or will you rely on the charging network? How is the charging network in Dubai? What is the difference in price between the two?
Old 07-29-22 | 08:56 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Is this a joke? I traded my garbage Tesla for a Lexus and wouldn't go back. The Y will drive like a rocket ship in terms of performance but lacks the comfort and features for one. Service can be quite hit-or-miss in terms of getting timely and/or good customer service, that's another thing. Prices have gone up what 4 times in the last year too, they are definitely overpriced for what you get.

I drove Teslas for 6 years in fact but in the last 1 year of ownership I had the mobile tech out 5 times in one year (for one car) and still had things they needed to fix. I just got so sick of constantly having issues I went back to a company I trust to build a quality product. They told me they weren't going to fix the obvious rattle over bumps that they knew what was wrong but told me they don't have an updated part so they weren't going to change it again (needed new front struts). Stuff like that really turned me off the brand. Not to mention the over-hyped stuff that was years late or didn't come, etc.

We currently have a RAV4 Prime and Lexus ES hybrid UltraLux in the garage. Two years ago it was two Model S's in the garage. Browse over on Reddit for real info and not just YouTube style "everything is wonderful" type content -- https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/ - I have read that nearly 70% of all new Tesla owners need a repair service visit within 30 days of ownership. That is absolutely disgusting.

What I would tell you is try to talk to real owners in your area if possible to see what issues are like where you live. I must admit the Teslas were a blast to drive but you get worn down over time with poor quality, repairs, unmet promises, hype all the time, etc. I don't know about UAE but here supercharging costs (Tesla charging on the road) is nearly the same price as buying gas. I suspect gas is really cheap though in UAE (it's $1.699/Liter here).

Last edited by LS500Fan; 07-29-22 at 09:00 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
asadani (07-29-22), ATL350 (07-30-22), bc6152 (07-30-22), FreddyG (08-09-22), Freds430 (07-30-22), JamesAZ (08-03-22), landonm86 (08-02-22), ptung07 (07-30-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-29-22 | 10:39 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dezymond
Two completely different vehicles. Did you happen to test drive either?

You need to figure out what works for your living situation. Will you be able to charge the Y at home consistently or will you rely on the charging network? How is the charging network in Dubai? What is the difference in price between the two?
There is a charging station at the place I stay. There is a decent charging network. The price points are similar. I have test driven the ES 350 and it's really nice. but I haven't driven the Model Y as it's not here yet and tesla does not offer test drives. They are not that customer friendly. I got a message from there saying that they are not offering test drives and that if I was interested that I should go ahead and purchase it online. Until last week their website didn't even have the price I would have to pay if I ordered but they have since fixed that bug now.
Old 07-29-22 | 10:42 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Is this a joke? I traded my garbage Tesla for a Lexus and wouldn't go back. The Y will drive like a rocket ship in terms of performance but lacks the comfort and features for one. Service can be quite hit-or-miss in terms of getting timely and/or good customer service, that's another thing. Prices have gone up what 4 times in the last year too, they are definitely overpriced for what you get.

I drove Teslas for 6 years in fact but in the last 1 year of ownership I had the mobile tech out 5 times in one year (for one car) and still had things they needed to fix. I just got so sick of constantly having issues I went back to a company I trust to build a quality product. They told me they weren't going to fix the obvious rattle over bumps that they knew what was wrong but told me they don't have an updated part so they weren't going to change it again (needed new front struts). Stuff like that really turned me off the brand. Not to mention the over-hyped stuff that was years late or didn't come, etc.

We currently have a RAV4 Prime and Lexus ES hybrid UltraLux in the garage. Two years ago it was two Model S's in the garage. Browse over on Reddit for real info and not just YouTube style "everything is wonderful" type content -- https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/ - I have read that nearly 70% of all new Tesla owners need a repair service visit within 30 days of ownership. That is absolutely disgusting.

What I would tell you is try to talk to real owners in your area if possible to see what issues are like where you live. I must admit the Teslas were a blast to drive but you get worn down over time with poor quality, repairs, unmet promises, hype all the time, etc. I don't know about UAE but here supercharging costs (Tesla charging on the road) is nearly the same price as buying gas. I suspect gas is really cheap though in UAE (it's $1.699/Liter here).
I really like the view that you have put down and the Reddit link. I'll go ahead and read some reviews. I also didn't like the Lexus Rz450e at all. In terms of its looks specifically. I absolutely like the ES 350
Old 07-30-22 | 04:10 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

J D Power the last time they ranked Tesla was 2021 when they were 30 out of 34 in dependability. Lexus was #1. Consumer Reports has Lexus #1 and Tesla 27th out of 28 in reliability. This would be all I would need. Go out on the web including YouTube and search about Tesla's poor workmanship like paint and uneven door gaps etc.

From Consumer Reports

Tesla Model Y problems

As the largest EV maker, Tesla is particularly prone to reliability issues. The Tesla Model Y, the company’s most popular model, is one of the 10 least reliable vehicles of 2022, according to Consumer Reports, which chronicled problems with its body fit, paint, weatherstripping, rear hatchback and climate system.

Now completely MY OPINION. The only thing worst in looks than the exterior of a Tesla is their interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
ATL350 (07-30-22), LS500Fan (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 04:34 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
I have read that nearly 70% of all new Tesla owners need a repair service visit within 30 days of ownership. That is absolutely disgusting.
This statement can be confirmed by the J D Power initial quality study when they survey vehicle owners at the first six months of ownership. Tesla ranks 28th out of 33.
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 05:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

When one would add up all the negatives attached to the Tesla and EV's in general at this point in time, I don't understand why anyone would even consider a Tesla or any other electric vehicle. Lack of recharging sites, reliability, available distance, number 8 on the ugly scale, and on and on. My neighbor has two Tesla's on their driveway. I look at my beautiful, shiny, DEPENDABLE Atomic Silver Ultra Lux ES 350 and smile...
The following 3 users liked this post by bc6152:
Freds430 (07-30-22), LS500Fan (07-30-22), ukcats (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 08:08 AM
Mike246
Intermediate

Asadani,

Simples. Take the ES out for a test drive on all types of roads. Your mind will be made up.

Even our Rolls Royce couldn't get it that smooth and quiet to say nothing of stability.

Addition: This doesn't mean that I have a Roller - by 'ours' I mean it's British

Mike (UK)

Last edited by Mike246; 07-30-22 at 02:13 PM.
bc6152 (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 08:49 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

I am not a Tesla fan, however I will admit to being intrigued by them. I think having a company like Tesla building EVs help advance the design of EVs and in some cases perhaps even conventional cars. Someone needed to take that first step into electrification and I applaud Tesla for their efforts. In some ways Tesla demonstrates how NOT to implement some particular design or feature, but that is true of any competition and can be subjective - aside from owner surveys. Despite my admiration for what Tesla has accomplished, I believe posting that kind of a question on a Lexus forum is going to result in a biased discussion. If you wish to hear just the opposite discussion, post the same question on a Tesla forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
asadani (07-30-22), LexFinally (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 10:22 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

I don’t call myself a Lexus fan and in fact selling my ES to get Audi A7 but having had model 3, Tesla interior quality and fit and finish is garbage. I will not spend a penny on it until they revamp their interior quality
The following 3 users liked this post by mattsrs:
asadani (07-30-22), ATL350 (07-30-22), LS500Fan (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 12:08 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Default No Test Drive - Not Interested

Originally Posted by asadani;[url=tel:11335542
11335542[/url]]Hi Everyone. I have decided on the ES 350 Lux 2023 model and am also considering a Tesla Model Y as the price range on both are similar in UAE where I live. I really like the ES 350 vs the ES 300h due to the v6 engine etc. As for the Tesla Model Y, I am not necessarily liking the interiors much to conclude. I even had a look at the Lexus RZ450e and really dislike the design on that one.

Any pointers to help me lean in a direction? I know the question is vague but any pointers would help.
I would never buy a vehicle I couldn’t test drive. The decision would be very simple for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by lccgl479:
LexFinally (07-30-22), LS500Fan (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 02:37 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

There’s a reason you can’t test drive! The quality is horrible… Just buy it and take delivery and then you can inspect it too. Terrible company policies, only Tesla fanboys buy the hype.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
asadani (07-30-22), dklanecky1 (07-31-22)
Old 07-30-22 | 04:02 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bc6152
When one would add up all the negatives attached to the Tesla and EV's in general at this point in time, I don't understand why anyone would even consider a Tesla or any other electric vehicle. Lack of recharging sites, reliability, available distance, number 8 on the ugly scale, and on and on. My neighbor has two Tesla's on their driveway. I look at my beautiful, shiny, DEPENDABLE Atomic Silver Ultra Lux ES 350 and smile...
Could not agree more.
Old 07-30-22 | 04:58 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TechNut
I am not a Tesla fan, however I will admit to being intrigued by them. I think having a company like Tesla building EVs help advance the design of EVs and in some cases perhaps even conventional cars. Someone needed to take that first step into electrification and I applaud Tesla for their efforts. In some ways Tesla demonstrates how NOT to implement some particular design or feature, but that is true of any competition and can be subjective - aside from owner surveys. Despite my admiration for what Tesla has accomplished, I believe posting that kind of a question on a Lexus forum is going to result in a biased discussion. If you wish to hear just the opposite discussion, post the same question on a Tesla forum.
I agree with this comment. I hate Elon Musk with a passion, but there are some very appealing aspects to Tesla vehicles, as shown by their owners' enthusiasm for them. The very best thing about Tesla, at least in the States, is their unmatched and exclusive charger network, which makes Tesla the only viable EV option for cross-country travel. They've been innovative, by all accounts their cars are very capable on the road, and their technology is as proven as any electric car is.

All that said, I personally would not trust Tesla as an ownership experience. I think the high-handed attitude you've encountered about test drives is a little taste of that. Parts and service sound pretty hit-and-miss. Unlike other makes, Tesla has you at their mercy for both. They've already shown a willingness to be unethical toward their owners when it comes to things like yanking the rug out by charging for capabilities built into the car that were free or, worse, were already paid for. They've reportedly taken an alarmingly cavalier attitude toward safety regulations and the safety aspects of parts quality. And their approach to self-driving software has been somewhere between deceptive and criminally negligent. A Tesla will probably be cheaper to drive than any gas-powered car. But in terms of both mechanical reliability and emotional capital spent on ownership, I trust Lexus as an organization 100 times more than Tesla, and when it's my money that difference is all the difference in the world.

bc6152 (07-31-22)

Quick Reply: ES350 or Tesla Model Y