ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Pre-purchase inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22 | 05:58 PM
mussa59
5th Gear

Default Pre-purchase inspection

I bought a 2019 Lexus 350 ES from Carvana; it has a little over 6K miles on it. I will be delivered next week. It still has original warranty.
I really would like to have a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle (I do not have much faith in the Carvana "inspections") before I close the deal, so to speak.
My closest Lexus dealer is an hour's drive from here (I wasn't impressed when I visited there while my BMW was in the shop).
There is a Toyota dealer here in town.
Questions:
Would be a pre-purchase inspection be covered by the original warranty?
Should/will the Carvana finance company cover for a thorough pre-purchase inspection?
Would the local Toyota dealer be able to give the inspection?

My daughter has an IS, but she lives in the Dallas area and takes her car to one of the 3+ Lexus dealers there. I called one of them but they quoted me $490 for the inspection. WOW!! Doesn't that sound like a bit too much?
Thank you.
Old 08-01-22 | 07:59 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Originally Posted by mussa59
I bought a 2019 Lexus 350 ES from Carvana; it has a little over 6K miles on it. I will be delivered next week. It still has original warranty.
I really would like to have a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle (I do not have much faith in the Carvana "inspections") before I close the deal, so to speak.
My closest Lexus dealer is an hour's drive from here (I wasn't impressed when I visited there while my BMW was in the shop).
Questions:
Should/will the Carvana finance company cover for a thorough pre-purchase inspection?

My daughter has an IS, but she lives in the Dallas area and takes her car to one of the 3+ Lexus dealers there. I called one of them but they quoted me $490 for the inspection. WOW!! Doesn't that sound like a bit too much?
Thank you.
I don’t see how the warranty would apply…this is not the original sale, so that was one and done. I also doubt that Carvana would cover it, probably viewing it was something you are opting to do, but at your own expense. As for getting it somewhere your best bet is calling around but I am not surprised a dealer is high, as it’s not something they care to do for someone not buying a car from them.
Old 08-02-22 | 04:19 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Questions:

Thank you.
Lexus warranty doesn't cover pre purchase inspection, but you are still covered under the 4 years/50k basic warranty. This is not a sports car that could have been pushed hard at 6k miles.

If it gives you extra peace of mind, then go for the inspection. I bought my 2019 from CarMax at 20k miles and initially planned to get pre inspection, but after getting quotes like you, I didn't see the worth. I just changed tires and oil and 8k miles later, still going strong.

You can also check Lexus drivers site to see the history of the car with the VIN.

Enjoy your new boat on wheels lol. And yes, Toyota or any reliable auto shop can do pre inspection. Doesn't have to be Lexus. You can check out Davenport motor in Plano, they quoted $235 for theirs. Never used them before, but read great things from ClubLexus community about them.

Last edited by babaijebu; 08-02-22 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-02-22 | 06:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

If you just have a trusted mechanic you can take it to that would work. Or any facility that has a good reputation. Doesn't have to be Toyota or Lexus related. A car is a car and they're mostly all the same...
Old 08-02-22 | 09:11 AM
mussa59
5th Gear

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated!
This car was at a Lexus dealer in Florida, it was leased, driven some 6000 miles, returned to the dealer, and then Carvana eventually bought it. Now it's my turn with it. Keeping fingers crossed, I never bought a car online, lol
Thanks again.
Old 08-02-22 | 10:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated!
This car was at a Lexus dealer in Florida, it was leased, driven some 6000 miles, returned to the dealer, and then Carvana eventually bought it. Now it's my turn with it. Keeping fingers crossed, I never bought a car online, lol
Thanks again.
Good luck. Open the hood and make sure there's an engine there