ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Newly discovered: The tire change hardware in our cars is absolute garbage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 11:47 AM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Photos? What Jack did your car come with?
Old 08-15-22, 04:15 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Photos? What Jack did your car come with?
Same jack as yours. Enter with me the Theater of the Mind.
Old 08-17-22, 12:32 PM
LexFinally
Racer

BTW, where are the jack points on our cars? Not for a shop jack, but for the supplied tire-change jack.

I was fumbling around with the owner's manual when the time came, and found to my frustration that it really doesn't have any useful illustration of where they are.
Old 08-17-22, 04:48 PM
doncmleon
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
BTW, where are the jack points on our cars? Not for a shop jack, but for the supplied tire-change jack.

I was fumbling around with the owner's manual when the time came, and found to my frustration that it really doesn't have any useful illustration of where they are.
The jack in our cars uses the "pinch" points along the sides. It's tough to explain. When you look along the side of the car bottom, and compare it to the jack base, you'll see what I mean. Basically, you can jack it up where needed, provided the "pinched" metal is inside the jack base.

I have a low profile jack in my garage and ended up purchasing a jack pad for this very reason.

This is the one I have

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-17-22, 06:13 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by doncmleon
The jack in our cars uses the "pinch" points along the sides. It's tough to explain. When you look along the side of the car bottom, and compare it to the jack base, you'll see what I mean. Basically, you can jack it up where needed, provided the "pinched" metal is inside the jack base.

I have a low profile jack in my garage and ended up purchasing a jack pad for this very reason.

This is the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/Qmiracle-Univ...066162654&th=1
Thanks for the detailed answer. I'll go looking for that feature.
The following users liked this post:
doncmleon (08-18-22)
Old 08-17-22, 09:57 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

I presume you found the jack points diagram in the Owner's Manual (located on page 370 with the step 3 instruction in the 2022 ES 350 pdf manual version). Not the easiest positions to find for the first time on an actual vehicle without the aid of a light and mirror to easily view the underside of the vehicle. (Deities help the poor soul who has to find a jack point on a dark, inclement weather night without additional visual aid tools.)

The "pinch" points doncmleon mentioned in his post is a vertical ridge of metal formed by pinch welding two pieces of sheet metal together. On the front jack point located just behind (toward the vehicle rear) the front wheel well, the metal ridge is located approximately 5 1/2 inches in from the bottom outside edge of the car. On the rear jack point located approximately 14 inches forward (to the car's front) from the rear wheel well's front edge, the metal ridge is located approximately 4 1/2 inches in from the bottom outside edge of the car.

The two notches in the metal ridge indicating a jack point are easy to see when you shed some light on the area.

For some people I suppose once you know what the underside of the car looks like at the jack points you may be able to locate the jack points just by finger feel alone. The jack points are located at the forward edges of relatively deep recess "boxes" in the rocker panels and on the inside edge of the recess "boxes". Just stick you fingers in the the forward (or aft) deep recess "box" in the rocker panel, move them forward until you encounter the front edge of the "box", then move them in toward the car's center until you encounter the inside edge of the "box" - that's where you find the two notches on the metal ridge designating the front ( or rear) jack point.

The following users liked this post:
doncmleon (08-18-22)
Old 08-18-22, 11:44 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 163 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree 100% about appreciating the fact that there's a spare tire at all instead of run-flats or a can of sealant.

I hear all of you about AAA. But what AAA can't do for me is save me if I'm on a long road trip and I have an accident like I just had, where a road hazard takes out the tire AND the wheel. AAA can change the tire and then tell me, "Welp, enjoy driving 300 miles at 50 mph or until the differential burns up / the tire blows out from exceeding the temporary spare tire's recommendation, whichever comes first!"

I think I'm gonna get a real wheel and tire for the trunk now. (I sized it; it'll fit.)
Just had a similar issue Friday night with my 2018 Camry. Giant rock decided to destroy not only my tire, but my rim. And to top it all off, my donut was flat and squeaked so loud it gave me a headache inside my car with the windows rolled up and music turned up a bit to help drown it out. Felt horrible to the neighborhood I pulled into and then later on my own neighborhood cause it was 1 in the morning...

But anyways, I was thinking of getting a full-blown tire put into the back once I upgrade to the ES later this year, so I'm curious on how well this works out for you.
Old 08-18-22, 12:51 PM
Brianses7
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ahh yes the ES jack... this reminded me of that one time I had a nail in my tire on my f sport wheels and it was 12:57 am leaving a friends house. Got absolutely drenched in rain trying to figure out how to use the damn thing but I figured it out after a few minutes. I had a 2017' RX350 before and the RX jack is more user friendly lol.
Old 08-18-22, 02:11 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

From the online 2022 ES 350 manual.
Old 08-18-22, 08:17 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Thank you again, grp52.

Photographed my car on a lift just after reinstallation of the permanent wheel/tire. Photos of all four of the jack points. Rear ones are forward of the rear wheels, front ones are behind the front wheels.

One problem: The site refuses to upload them. It gets to 90% on the first image and then sticks. Any ideas?

Old 08-18-22, 08:24 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 869 Likes on 642 Posts

The file size of your pics is probably too large.
Old 08-19-22, 12:04 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
The file size of your pics is probably too large.
When uploading an attachment, if the file being uploaded is larger than allowed by the site for uploading you get an error alert stating what the attempted uploaded file size is and the maximum allowed file size for that file type. No uploading starts on that file if you get the "too large" error alert.

Old 08-19-22, 05:33 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by grp52
When uploading an attachment, if the file being uploaded is larger than allowed by the site for uploading you get an error alert stating what the attempted uploaded file size is and the maximum allowed file size for that file type. No uploading starts on that file if you get the "too large" error alert.
Didn't get the "too large" alert. I thought the file sizes might be the problem (4 shots, each about 1.8 mb), so I shrank each to just under 1 mb, but it made no difference.
Old 08-19-22, 06:30 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Changed them from jpegs to PDF's. Now I can attach them but not display them. Ya got me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front right jack point copy.pdf (992.0 KB, 59 views)
Rear right jack point copy.pdf (972.2 KB, 28 views)
Rear left jack point copy.pdf (989.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by LexFinally; 08-19-22 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-19-22, 06:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Changed them from jpegs to PDF's. Now I can attach them but not display them. Ya got me.
Change them to screen shots, save then upload and you should have no problem.

Quick Reply: Newly discovered: The tire change hardware in our cars is absolute garbage.