30k Service Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 10:54 AM
MH1313
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30k Service Thoughts

Hello Folks,

I am buying my leased 19 es350. It's just hitting 30k miles. Any "must-do" services that one can recommend? I "steer clear" ( very clear) of my local lexus dealer (really creepy/very dishonest) and rely on my Toyota dealer for routine service, which, to date, consists of oil changes and tire rotation every 5k miles. The car runs perfectly. Never any issues of any sort.

I am thinking of the following:

1. oil change
2. tire rotation
3. transmission fluid
4. brake fluid
5. cabin air filters

Thanks as always for your opinions. Plan on keeping this lovely vehicle for many years.
Old 08-30-22, 11:02 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

This is what Lexus recommends at that interval:

FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 30K MILES / 36 MONTHS
Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.) [On your list]
Rotate Tires [On your list]
Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
Inspect Engine Coolant (Refer to ""Engine Coolant"" in the ""Explanation of Maintenance Items"" section of the Warranty and Maintenance Guide for more information.)
Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
Replace Engine Air Filter [On your list]
Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped) [On your list]
Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
Replace Brake Fluid [On your list]
Replace Smart Key Battery
Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
Inspect Inverter Coolant (Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.)
Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
Inspect Body/Chassis
Inspect Brake Rotor Thickness and Runout
Inspect Wiper Blades
Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
Reset Scheduled Maintenance Reminder
Inspect Rack-and-Pinion Assembly
Check HV Battery Cooling Intake Filter
Add EFI Fuel Tank Additive (Hawaii only)
Perform Road-Test on Vehicle

SPECIAL DRIVING CONDITIONS
Also recommended when driving on dirt/dusty/muddy roads or on roads with melted snow
Inspect Engine Air Filter
Torque Nuts And Bolts On Chassis And Body
Inspect Axle Shaft Boots

Only thing that isn't on the recommended list is the transmission fluid, but I would personally insist on that anyway. I'd also do a coolant change as well.
Old 08-30-22, 11:18 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

I'm a bit surprisd to hear you guys both recommending a change of transmission fluid. Personally I think of that as more of a 60k or 90k item, since the factory's recommendation is "never."
The following users liked this post:
Moorekx (08-31-22)
Old 08-30-22, 12:32 PM
Brianses7
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious to see others thoughts on this post. I need to take my ES in for 30k service Saturday and I definitely don't want to over pay for something I don't need.
Old 08-30-22, 01:25 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I'm a bit surprisd to hear you guys both recommending a change of transmission fluid. Personally I think of that as more of a 60k or 90k item, since the factory's recommendation is "never."
For me it would be more as a preventative. I know there are differing opinions out there as to when to change fluids, but I think I found intervals that will work for me based on my own research. If it's a waste of time and money to others, so be it, it brings me peace of mind for what is a nice and certainly not cheap vehicle that I want to keep running as best as possible for as long as I own it.
Brianses7 (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 02:03 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

The Car Care Nut channel on Youtube recommends transmission fluid change between 60k-80k miles. 30K is probably good if you regularly drive the car like you stole it.
Old 08-30-22, 02:04 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Oil and all the filters, rotation.
Freds430 (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 02:56 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

At 30,000 miles I take our vehicles in to our Lexus dealership and ask for and oil change, tire rotation and brake fluid change. The filters oil and cabin air filter cost $50 both and take less than five minutes to change both. The services at Lexus should be around $230 and $50 for filters so $280 all in. Go in and ask for a 30,000 mile scheduled service and I am guessing $900.
Old 08-30-22, 03:01 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by ionian
The Car Care Nut channel on Youtube recommends transmission fluid change between 60k-80k miles. 30K is probably good if you regularly drive the car like you stole it.
He is definitely a very good source and one I rely on. I recall one of his videos says 30k mile transmission fluid change. Have it noted in my reminders app, but maybe I mislabeled it.
Old 08-30-22, 03:40 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

The reason in the past years for saying the transmission fluid doesn't need replacing is because once the system is opened then contaminants could enter the system. Under certain driving conditions it is recommended but otherwise it is best to leave it alone. The owner of a company that makes transmissions for the toyota tundra told me that. I think if I were to change my fluid I would do it myself to ensure it was done correctly.
Old 08-30-22, 03:42 PM
ionian
Instructor

Here is one of his earlier video on the topic:

In other video he mentioned 80k mark for newer Lexus but I can't find it at the moment. Speaking from experience my wife 2014 RAV4 went by the manual and never changed the fluid. The transmission shudders around 110k miles. She drove it for another 20k miles and it still shifted fine when we got rid of it.
dezymond (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 03:57 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by ionian
Here is one of his earlier video on the topic:

In other video he mentioned 80k mark for newer Lexus but I can't find it at the moment. Speaking from experience my wife 2014 RAV4 went by the manual and never changed the fluid. The transmission shudders around 110k miles. She drove it for another 20k miles and it still shifted fine when we got rid of it.
I specifically watched his hybrid series videos and noted a lot of the information he provided. I'll have to rewatch them, but maybe I did put it in too early for the transmission fluid.
Old 08-30-22, 04:04 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

You all do whatever you want with the transmission fluid. I make my decisions on who has the most experience and knowledge. My local Service Manager at the local Lexus dealership has 25 years experience dealing with Lexus vehicles. He went to the Lexus transmission factory in Detroit for training. He asked them what is the number one cause of Lexus transmission failures. They told him changing the fluid with the wrong transmission fluid and wrong amount. He said for the lifetime of the car it never needs to be changed. I have followed this for four vehicles with well over 100,000 miles each and of course not one transmission problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
bc6152 (09-09-22), landonm86 (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 05:18 PM
ionian
Instructor

If you don't plan on keeping your vehicle more than 150k miles then by all mean it is your prerogative. It will the second owner's problem. Car Care Nut speaks from experience. I learned from experience and will do the transmission fluid change probably around 80k since most of those miles are high way. we plan to keep Venza going as long as possible.
Old 08-30-22, 07:18 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
This is what Lexus recommends at that interval:

FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 30K MILES / 36 MONTHS
Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.) [On your list]
Rotate Tires [On your list]
Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
Inspect Engine Coolant (Refer to ""Engine Coolant"" in the ""Explanation of Maintenance Items"" section of the Warranty and Maintenance Guide for more information.)
Replace Engine Air Filter [On your list]
Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped) [On your list]
Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
Replace Brake Fluid [On your list]
Replace Smart Key Battery
Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
Inspect Inverter Coolant (Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.)
Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
Inspect Body/Chassis
Inspect Brake Rotor Thickness and Runout
Inspect Wiper Blades
Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
Reset Scheduled Maintenance Reminder
Inspect Rack-and-Pinion Assembly
Check HV Battery Cooling Intake Filter
Add EFI Fuel Tank Additive (Hawaii only)
Perform Road-Test on Vehicle

SPECIAL DRIVING CONDITIONS
Also recommended when driving on dirt/dusty/muddy roads or on roads with melted snow
Inspect Engine Air Filter
Torque Nuts And Bolts On Chassis And Body
Inspect Axle Shaft Boots

Only thing that isn't on the recommended list is the transmission fluid, but I would personally insist on that anyway. I'd also do a coolant change as well.
Coolant at three years 30k miles is absurd.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (09-09-22), Freds430 (08-31-22), Oldfart (08-31-22)

Quick Reply: 30k Service Thoughts