ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 ES seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 12:59 PM
medku
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 ES seats

The front seats on my 2022 ES hybrid are very uncomfortable. I don't like the back, it is too hard, very inconvenient for the upper back. I've been trying to adjust them, but no luck. Got back pain. Does anybody else feel the same? And has anyone found a solution? I have already tried 2 cushions, but they didn't work well.
Old 08-30-22, 01:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Most of feel the same about the 7ES seats generally. Luxury owners seem to generally have the same complaint that generally the 7ES seats are too hard and unsupportive.

Which is a shame since for the press brief, they made a big deal about the seat engineering for comfort.

RX seats? Cushy and bouncy like a cloud. That's what I want! 7ES is nice but lost its soul a bit in the way Toyota tried to make it too sporty.
Old 08-30-22, 07:34 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

I feel the padding is too hard but otherwise OK. My LS500 had too-stiff seat material too so it must just be a Lexus thing.
Old 08-30-22, 08:07 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Most of feel the same about the 7ES seats generally. Luxury owners seem to generally have the same complaint that generally the 7ES seats are too hard and unsupportive.

Which is a shame since for the press brief, they made a big deal about the seat engineering for comfort.

RX seats? Cushy and bouncy like a cloud. That's what I want! 7ES is nice but lost its soul a bit in the way Toyota tried to make it too sporty.
I asked someone at my dealer about this. They said they couldn't add padding (probably would screw up the heating and ventilation?) and nothing could be done. Their guess, same as mine, was that Lexus was trying to keep up with the Germans (which is also my guess on why they dialed an oddly high level of effort into the steering). He told me the LS and LX still had the cushy seats, but that was it. I do find them mostly well-shaped and supportive on long trips, just not as soft and cushy as I'd prefer. It's an odd decision on a car otherwise so consistently calibrated to give you a cushy experience.
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 08:32 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I find my 2022 ES 300h luxury seats to be very comfortable.

Im 6’2 225. The seat extension is perfect.

Compared to my 2016 and 2018, I will take the 2022.

Our 2022 NX seats are more cushy but that doesn’t mean they are more supportive.

Every body is different.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKF350:
GS350Miami (09-12-22), stevewise (08-31-22)
Old 08-30-22, 08:48 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by medku
The front seats on my 2022 ES hybrid are very uncomfortable. I don't like the back, it is too hard, very inconvenient for the upper back. I've been trying to adjust them, but no luck. Got back pain. Does anybody else feel the same? And has anyone found a solution? I have already tried 2 cushions, but they didn't work well.
I have 2021 350 ES and find the seats supportive but shockingly too firm. I assumed they’d be cushy and supportive like those in the Volvo I traded for it. Noticed it during test drive but shrugged it off. Now, after having the car for a while, I’m unhappy about it.
Just don’t get it. It’s so counterintuitive for a cushy luxury car like the RS.
For what it’s worth, my dad bought a sport Caddy coupe d’ville back in 1967 or so. It had a sport colored seat fabric and firm seats like these, too. But none of the other Caddy models did. Very unusual for any luxury car.
Old 08-30-22, 09:05 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I asked someone at my dealer about this. They said they couldn't add padding (probably would screw up the heating and ventilation?) and nothing could be done. Their guess, same as mine, was that Lexus was trying to keep up with the Germans (which is also my guess on why they dialed an oddly high level of effort into the steering). He told me the LS and LX still had the cushy seats, but that was it. I do find them mostly well-shaped and supportive on long trips, just not as soft and cushy as I'd prefer. It's an odd decision on a car otherwise so consistently calibrated to give you a cushy experience.
So very true, again copying the Germans and believing that “everyone” wants “sport” feeling in cars, from hard seats to hard suspensions. I’ve no doubt that Lexus did spend a lot on the seat design but they flooded the stupid trend, one that is pushed by the automotive media for whom 0-60 time is the measure of a car, and firm or hard is better. Much of the public boxes along though many regret it later when they have to live with these choices.

I think the LS seats are the most comfortable I’ve ever been in. The RX was good (not LS level of course) and I’m curious to see how hard they will have made the 23 RX seats. It’s also ,y fear with the 8th gen ES that they will further still from Lexus’ luxury roots to sports-centric dynamics. Not good.
Old 08-31-22, 09:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

Our 2021 RX seats aren’t so different from our 2019 ES seats to my buttometer! My wife and I just took a road trip in the ES. Our debate over which vehicle to take came down to cost, we could drive the ES much more inexpensively than the RX. Seat comfort never even entered into our decision so I don’t think my wife perceives any measurable difference either.

I think RKF350 really has the right idea. Every body is unique. It’s like a shoe - different brands have a different fit and feel. It’s unfortunate that car buying decisions have to be made so rapidly nowadays as many people probably get unpleasant surprises after the purchase.
Old 08-31-22, 09:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Our 2021 RX seats aren’t so different from our 2019 ES seats to my buttometer! My wife and I just took a road trip in the ES. Our debate over which vehicle to take came down to cost, we could drive the ES much more inexpensively than the RX. Seat comfort never even entered into our decision so I don’t think my wife perceives any measurable difference either.

I think RKF350 really has the right idea. Every body is unique. It’s like a shoe - different brands have a different fit and feel. It’s unfortunate that car buying decisions have to be made so rapidly nowadays as many people probably get unpleasant surprises after the purchase.
I agree. While I have the ES FSport which has very different seats, I've driven plenty of ES loaners non FSport and didn't find much difference in comfort as compared with our RX.
Old 08-31-22, 10:07 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I am sure weigh of the person has a lot to do with how comfortable each person feels. I feel comfortable in my wife's RX but on ES I can feel a metal bar that goes across my thighs, so I am using a cushion. My wife doesn't feel it but she is 50 lbs lighter.
Old 08-31-22, 01:28 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I would love the next ES to have an old man package. I would pay $1000 extra. Old man package to include:

20% softer springs and dampers with optional protective steel skid plates for when you inevitably bottom out
Gold emblems
White wall tires
Grab handles on the A pillar to get in and out
Cigarette lighter (i'd never use it)
Super-Cushy-Seats -- Cloth only (patent pending) with front bench option
Old man exterior paint color options: Starlight Pearl Brown, Get Off My Lawn Pearl White, Kids-won't-like-this-countryside-Green
Heated everything
Old 08-31-22, 01:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

How about an 8 track player. No whitetails without one!
Old 08-31-22, 03:03 PM
medku
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cushions

Wondering if anyone has tried additional driver seat cushions as a solution? Trying to find a right one. Any recommendations? I am a 5'6" slim girl. And it seems like it's not only the firmness of the seats that is wrong, but the entire curve of the back doesn't fit my body.
The following users liked this post:
htown19 (11-03-22)
Old 08-31-22, 04:17 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by medku
That’s why I bought the Ultra Luxury model. The UL has much better seats that are thicker and more comfortable.
Old 08-31-22, 04:48 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

moderator edit. Oldfart exit this thread, totally inappropriate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...faq_membership

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-31-22 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 ES seats