ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

buy ES2022h UL now or wait for 2023 ES300h UL

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 08:15 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
So if your battery is down and you need to go somewhere after 4PM, what do you do? Still absurd. But we won't get political here as it's not allowed. I love electricity I also love ICE.
Like anything, you plan ahead...Or you go to a public charger. When people don't want to use heavy appliances there are alternative means. Don't want to use the stove? Go order food. Don't want to use the washer/dryer? Hit up the laundromat. Sure it's an inconvenience, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yep... a lot of haters of California -- Newsom what have you, are taking a little sliver of a thread of a news media story and whatever (toxic) people are regurgitating in the comments section and running with it as if they've discovered the "gotcha moment" they've been waiting their whole lives for.

The recommendation as you said was just a help eachother help everyone sort of thing. People charge their cars overnight anyway at home.

At some point we were using gas-powered washing machines..
Media loves to take any little bit of information and blow it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
ATL350 (09-02-22), E46CT (09-02-22)
Old 09-02-22, 11:04 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bullnobull
Having trouble with a 2018 ES300h Battery. I'm ready to move on. Question is; Should I buy a 2022h UL for $1500. below MSRP, Is this a fair deal?
Or wait 5 months for 2023 ES300h UL.nearer to MSRP? I understand it's my choice. Anyone have any info or experience? I know trade in value will be lower on the 2022 later on.
Don't care about interior changes. 2022 Car is not a year old. Was just one of the last few made.
Thanks for any knowledge or info.
I had thought about waiting for full electric, but with outages in Socal. happening often, more so with all the new electric cars, I am staying with Hybrids
Wait for the ES EV. I am waiting because there is not enough new in the ES300h.
Old 09-02-22, 11:53 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Not everything in the 23 update is liked by everyone…I for one hate open cup holders, as I find them cheap looking. In a luxury oriented vehicle there should be a lid on it, like the LS does.

Last edited by ATL350; 09-02-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 02:33 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Not everything in the 23 update is liked by everyone…I for one hate open cup holders, as I find them cheap looking. In a luxury oriented vehicle there should be a lid on it, like the LS does.
And speaking in my capacity as an old fart, I'll miss the CD player. Then again, I still miss the cassette player. :.D
The following users liked this post:
lbrooks (09-09-22)
Old 09-02-22, 02:45 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
And speaking in my capacity as an old fart, I'll miss the CD player. Then again, I still miss the cassette player. :.D
Technically it’s a DVD player but then again, who’s counting?
Old 09-02-22, 02:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Audi has them exposed. I'm gonna have to go Team Audi on this one! This is the A6 for 2022:

Old 09-02-22, 03:16 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Audi has them exposed. I'm gonna have to go Team Audi on this one! This is the A6 for 2022:
My only knock against this interior is touch screen everything. Having coming from an Acura TLX with majority of the functions, especially the HVAC, being touchscreen was VERY annoying. You get used to it, but there were some scenarios where even thinking about changing any of those settings other than temp (since it was a switch to adjust) was out of the question. Having an all touch screen UI is something I got a really good preview of and don't miss it, and it's what I don't like about newer Audis. Yes it looks aesthetically pleasing, but functionally it isn't safe in my opinion. Not to mention the amount of fingerprints you'd see when the screen is off.

Laws have made it illegal to use cell phones while in use due to safety concern, which I agree with, but a touchscreen interface for basic car functions is not much better.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (09-02-22)
Old 09-02-22, 03:28 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I like buttons myself but maybe because I want to be 80 so bad. I find the phone way easier to use.
Old 09-02-22, 05:02 PM
dezymond
Instructor

I like buttons myself but maybe because I want to be 80 so bad. I find the phone way easier to use.
I think we're all guilty of phone use during driving and I always found it far easier to navigate my phone than the HVAC controls on my TLX. The Audi screen is lower and since it uses capacitive screen versus resistive like in the TLX, there's more room for error. Granted Honda/Acura did use the best interface for what should be intuitive, but just changing the fan speed could be challenging enough.
Old 09-02-22, 08:33 PM
Skynet
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bullnobull
Having trouble with a 2018 ES300h Battery. I'm ready to move on. Question is; Should I buy a 2022h UL for $1500. below MSRP, Is this a fair deal?
Or wait 5 months for 2023 ES300h UL.nearer to MSRP? I understand it's my choice. Anyone have any info or experience? I know trade in value will be lower on the 2022 later on.
Don't care about interior changes. 2022 Car is not a year old. Was just one of the last few made.
Thanks for any knowledge or info.
I had thought about waiting for full electric, but with outages in Socal. happening often, more so with all the new electric cars, I am staying with Hybrids
​​​​​​Hi.
You will keep the car for several years and in any case they infotainment it will become old so at least I would WAIT to have the newest possible option of the 2023 model (the one I personally already ordered). You will regret otherwise...
Old 09-03-22, 10:40 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Like a lot of things I guess it’s mainly personal preference, and I admit I rarely use the cup holders. But I find the open cup holders messy looking, they often seem dusty/dirty, and just make the console look cluttered. Having a lid actually satisfies both - you can leave the lid open all the time or as needed, or keep it mainly shut, giving a tidier (to my eye) appearance. Again, I like how they did it in the LS.

In the A8 even Audi goes to a lid for a more luxurious appearance.

Last edited by ATL350; 09-03-22 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 10:49 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

My situation as others I am sure are at or close is my lease on UL is coming at an end in Dec and at the dilemma of to buy my vehicle or upgrade to the 2023 as I have $12000+ equity. I have told the manager I would have to have an exceptional deal to make the trade. The technological advance of the infotainment system is quite an advantage over my 2020 especially with the wireless android auto. To see first hand from people that have actually used the new system I looked at the NX forum and asked about the wireless capability and other advancements as I have seen the wireless adaptors available now have lots of problems. Disconnect from the new system all have said is extremely rare but have also said at times the system needs to be rebooted not associated with wireless. The cloud navigation from responders have said it is not reliable so not much better than now. Also short trips only for wireless as battery drain and phone getting hot. What I have now works fine especially if I use more of the voice functions. It will have to be a heck of a deal for me to switch and thinking keeping 3 more years as Lexus has said 20 more options available by 2025. Was told by Lexus couple of years ago that hydrogen fuel cell is what they are looking at but I think the big push for electric has made them rethink that. If buying now I would wait for the 2023. As for the open cup holder the door for the one we have now always stays open as I always put the phone in back slot and in my 2001 LS430 UL cupholders always out as something always goes in when entering car. It's all personal preference. Any questions about new interface just head over to NX forum.
Old 09-04-22, 05:05 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
My situation as others I am sure are at or close is my lease on UL is coming at an end in Dec and at the dilemma of to buy my vehicle or upgrade to the 2023 as I have $12000+ equity. I have told the manager I would have to have an exceptional deal to make the trade.
Depends on what you consider an exceptional deal. Relative to your current lease, you probably know the answer to that one. So what is the best value at this point? So many variables. That's if you can find a choice that's acceptable. Terms for the new model year will likely not be better. There is no incentive with current inventory levels to offer significant discounts. The best lease terms right now are very limited. They certainly aren't on ES models.
Old 09-05-22, 05:35 AM
UTChE96
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
I'm going to second the advice of both Lexfinally and UltraLux22, both are spot on imo.

Unless you absolutely have to have the revised infotainment and center console area update, you're essentially getting the same vehicle. A lot of dealerships pulled a lot of discounts or savings because well, they're just taking advantage of the shortages. I admit I don't watch much TV, but I don't see any commercials or ads of "LABOR DAY SALES" going on from any dealership (and I drive by two automalls 3 times a week). Heck, the 300h is at a $5k markup around here within a 200 mile radius and many dealerships I spoke with months ago when I first started my search were unwilling to drop that ADM even with my funds in hand. This is behavior for another topic, but it indicates there aren't going to be a lot of discounts handed out, unless you know someone pretty high up within the dealership.

As for waiting, the typical timeline of cars is a bit off course thanks to chip shortages. You're most likely not going to get the exact spec you want and sacrifice one or more features. Any car you can get right now at MSRP is a fair enough deal, anything below that is more than fair right now. The days of getting close to invoice pricing are no longer here.
I agree that most of the upgrades are minor but wireless CarPlay is the reason I am waiting for the 2023. That is a major upgrade. I usually keep my cars for 15 years so I want the latest technology. I know there are aftermarket solutions but why deal with the hassle when the new MY is due out in a couple months.
Old 09-05-22, 06:57 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

I got $6500 off msrp initially and current would pay msrp minus lexus cash 1k and military 1k so 2k discount with lease. With equity which would normally be 0 I would be getting around 14k off msrp. Used values will start to settle down as supply chains ease and the inflated equity will be gone. I feel it will be a long time before dealers offer discounts off msrp even after supply issues are resolved. Wireless AA to me would be a big plus as adaptors have problems. NX forum did say phone gets too hot to leave in pocket.

Quick Reply: buy ES2022h UL now or wait for 2023 ES300h UL