ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

buy ES2022h UL now or wait for 2023 ES300h UL

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 01:36 PM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default buy ES2022h UL now or wait for 2023 ES300h UL

Having trouble with a 2018 ES300h Battery. I'm ready to move on. Question is; Should I buy a 2022h UL for $1500. below MSRP, Is this a fair deal?
Or wait 5 months for 2023 ES300h UL.nearer to MSRP? I understand it's my choice. Anyone have any info or experience? I know trade in value will be lower on the 2022 later on.
Don't care about interior changes. 2022 Car is not a year old. Was just one of the last few made.
Thanks for any knowledge or info.
I had thought about waiting for full electric, but with outages in Socal. happening often, more so with all the new electric cars, I am staying with Hybrids

Last edited by bullnobull; 09-01-22 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 02:12 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

lol 😂 outages in California lol 😂
dklanecky1 (09-04-22)
Old 09-01-22, 02:33 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Obviously wait, unless your 18 ES is undrivable now. 2023 has a major update on software and navigation, as well as other enhancements, the new cloud-based software will be future proof at least 5 more years.
Essentially same price with newer technologies, I'd say worth the wait.

If you don't care for those updates, maybe wait 2 and a half month more and get much better deals on 22 ES lol
Old 09-01-22, 03:29 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Yep same day California Governor says going to outlaw gas only cars they are being told not to charge electric vehicles. This whole electric vehicle scenario has not been thought out very well for all the consequences. The 2023 car seems to take care of a lot of the annoyances I have with my 2020 so if it were me I would wait for the 2023.
Old 09-01-22, 03:39 PM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

2018 Is limping along, I can maybe Wait. If it gets worse maybe Lexus will honor warranty, so far no go. Soon orders will be taken for 2023. Never been in this situation
Still, sounds like solid advice. Thanks to everyone. I'm at waiting for 2023 unless an emergency or bigger discount comes along

Last edited by bullnobull; 09-01-22 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 04:08 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
Obviously wait, unless your 18 ES is undrivable now. 2023 has a major update on software and navigation, as well as other enhancements, the new cloud-based software will be future proof at least 5 more years.
Essentially same price with newer technologies, I'd say worth the wait.

If you don't care for those updates, maybe wait 2 and a half month more and get much better deals on 22 ES lol
With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree with this advice.

I don't think the update is all that major. Yes, it's all-new software and faster hardware, but I personally think the '22 system is more than adequate now that you no longer have to depend on the damned touchpad. All the touchpad does now is waste a modest amount of console space, which is a huge improvement. For that reason, the advent of the touchscreen for '22 was the "major" upgrade.

As for waiting longer, in this market I'll guess that's not a winning play. You're more likely to miss the car altogether than to save a lot more. And to my amateur eyes, the deal now on offer sounds pretty good. If you don't care all that much about the software upgrades and the car is what you want, I'd jump on it.

The following 4 users liked this post by LexFinally:
ATL350 (09-02-22), bc6152 (09-02-22), dklanecky1 (09-04-22), UltraLux22 (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 04:40 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree with this advice.
As for waiting longer, in this market I'll guess that's not a winning play. You're more likely to miss the car altogether than to save a lot more. And to my amateur eyes, the deal now on offer sounds pretty good. If you don't care all that much about the software upgrades and the car is what you want, I'd jump on it.
Waiting in this market is not a winning play is spot on advice. The traditional thinking of end-of-year discounts and sales will be an unlikely scenario for this year. That discount is strong in this market but you can always extend your search to other markets and states. Do not count on dealer trades. They are very rare right now. If you are unable to travel you can always have the vehicle shipped to you and have paperwork completed without ever having to step inside the dealership. Some dealers may not support this but many will. This process may seem daunting but not as difficult as one might think.
bc6152 (09-02-22)
Old 09-01-22, 05:05 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

I'm going to second the advice of both Lexfinally and UltraLux22, both are spot on imo.

Unless you absolutely have to have the revised infotainment and center console area update, you're essentially getting the same vehicle. A lot of dealerships pulled a lot of discounts or savings because well, they're just taking advantage of the shortages. I admit I don't watch much TV, but I don't see any commercials or ads of "LABOR DAY SALES" going on from any dealership (and I drive by two automalls 3 times a week). Heck, the 300h is at a $5k markup around here within a 200 mile radius and many dealerships I spoke with months ago when I first started my search were unwilling to drop that ADM even with my funds in hand. This is behavior for another topic, but it indicates there aren't going to be a lot of discounts handed out, unless you know someone pretty high up within the dealership.

As for waiting, the typical timeline of cars is a bit off course thanks to chip shortages. You're most likely not going to get the exact spec you want and sacrifice one or more features. Any car you can get right now at MSRP is a fair enough deal, anything below that is more than fair right now. The days of getting close to invoice pricing are no longer here.
The following 3 users liked this post by dezymond:
bc6152 (09-02-22), Jsigma87 (09-01-22), UltraLux22 (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 05:19 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
I'm going to second the advice of both Lexfinally and UltraLux22, both are spot on imo.

As for waiting, the typical timeline of cars is a bit off course thanks to chip shortages. You're most likely not going to get the exact spec you want and sacrifice one or more features. Any car you can get right now at MSRP is a fair enough deal, anything below that is more than fair right now. The days of getting close to invoice pricing are no longer here.
Manufacturers are still playing catch up with dealer orders which is also one the reasons why so many vehicles listed on dealer sites are already pre-sold. For example, my local dealer has 92 vehicles listed with many being listed as in-transit. Out off those 92 only about 7 are actually available and not yet pre-sold. I imagine many dealerships are like this.
Old 09-02-22, 06:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

You should be able to order the 2023 now. Prices are unknown, but they can place orders. I heard 23s should start shipping in about a month or so.

Aside from infotainment update to catch up with 2021 (Wireless carplay, Android auto as well as new infotainment software), I am not aware of any other changes. If those are not important to you, then 2022 makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-02-22, 06:37 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
Yep same day California Governor says going to outlaw gas only cars they are being told not to charge electric vehicles. This whole electric vehicle scenario has not been thought out very well for all the consequences. The 2023 car seems to take care of a lot of the annoyances I have with my 2020 so if it were me I would wait for the 2023.

Certain segments in the media are pushing this "told not to charge electric vehicles", which is a lie. I am no fan of Newsome, but it's not what he said - the position change recommends not charging EV's between 4pm - 9m, peak demand hours on the power grid. This adds EV's to the list of other long-held recommendations like don't run the washing machine or dishwasher during those same hours for the same reason. NO ONE is being told to stop charging their EV's at all! Not a convenient thing for some, to be sure, but also not the gotcha some are pushing.
LexFinally (09-02-22)
Old 09-02-22, 07:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Buy the 2022...
Old 09-02-22, 07:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Certain segments in the media are pushing this "told not to charge electric vehicles", which is a lie. I am no fan of Newsome, but it's not what he said - the position change recommends not charging EV's between 4pm - 9m, peak demand hours on the power grid. This adds EV's to the list of other long-held recommendations like don't run the washing machine or dishwasher during those same hours for the same reason. NO ONE is being told to stop charging their EV's at all! Not a convenient thing for some, to be sure, but also not the gotcha some are pushing.
So if your battery is down and you need to go somewhere after 4PM, what do you do? Still absurd. But we won't get political here as it's not allowed. I love electricity I also love ICE.
Old 09-02-22, 07:41 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
So if your battery is down and you need to go somewhere after 4PM, what do you do? Still absurd. But we won't get political here as it's not allowed. I love electricity I also love ICE.
I'm not defending it or dissing it - just pointing out that there is a lot of misrepresentation on the topic.
LexFinally (09-02-22)
Old 09-02-22, 07:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Yep... a lot of haters of California -- Newsom what have you, are taking a little sliver of a thread of a news media story and whatever (toxic) people are regurgitating in the comments section and running with it as if they've discovered the "gotcha moment" they've been waiting their whole lives for.

The recommendation as you said was just a help eachother help everyone sort of thing. People charge their cars overnight anyway at home.

At some point we were using gas-powered washing machines..

Quick Reply: buy ES2022h UL now or wait for 2023 ES300h UL