ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Sound deadening took 2022 ES300h to a new level

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 07:17 PM
doncmleon
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the same thing with my car and LOVE it! Music sounds way better, cabin is quieter.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 10:49 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd just spray foam sealant for $4 buck per can/door very light and better sound proofing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...3937/206977048

Last edited by Oldfart; 09-15-22 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added link
Old 09-16-22, 08:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by iossarian
Thank you! I don't trust my phone's decibel app AT ALL for giving accurate numbers. However, the numbers went down after treatment on the same road with same phone and app, and I also noticed a subjective difference.
I would be happy with this mod, but I’m not brave enough to start taking apart door panels. I would be worried about causing rattles down the road as the plastic clips may be damaged during the process and potentially vibrate/rattle with time. At least, it’s my sense that the likelihood is higher from my experience watching my dad rebuild wrecked cars. Full disclosure, it’s also been some 35 years since I saw a rebuild.

Regardless of my own fears or concerns, if you are happy with this mod, then I would call it a complete success. This is a topic that absolutely interests me personally so thank you for sharing! Now if I could just find the nerve to do this myself…
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
ATL350 (01-28-23), LexFinally (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 12:56 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I would be happy with this mod, but I’m not brave enough to start taking apart door panels. I would be worried about causing rattles down the road as the plastic clips may be damaged during the process and potentially vibrate/rattle with time. At least, it’s my sense that the likelihood is higher from my experience watching my dad rebuild wrecked cars. Full disclosure, it’s also been some 35 years since I saw a rebuild.

Regardless of my own fears or concerns, if you are happy with this mod, then I would call it a complete success. This is a topic that absolutely interests me personally so thank you for sharing! Now if I could just find the nerve to do this myself…
​​​​
I did a similar mod to this (but with MLV and insulation as well all applied to the trunk, floor, and headliner) on my 2018 Camry and tore my door panels off about 6 times in the first few months I had it. Been about 3 years and 70k+ miles now and not a single rattle, squeak, or anything. So I imagine the ES would be the same way, if not better.
Old 09-16-22, 01:16 PM
iossarian
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice! I would say it's almost a necessity on that car. It is unacceptably loud especially on over $30k trim levels. I noticed a while ago that Toyota/Lexus makes louder cars in general than the competition (Lexus LS and LX being the exceptions) and hope they change that one day. As much as I hate Genesis as a car company because of my G70 experience, they do get NVH very right. The G80 is insanely quiet and better riding than an ES, and the G70 was quieter than my 2021 IS 300. So I hope Lexus learns some (good) lessons from the competition.
Old 09-16-22, 01:55 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by iossarian
Very nice! I would say it's almost a necessity on that car. It is unacceptably loud especially on over $30k trim levels. I noticed a while ago that Toyota/Lexus makes louder cars in general than the competition (Lexus LS and LX being the exceptions) and hope they change that one day. As much as I hate Genesis as a car company because of my G70 experience, they do get NVH very right. The G80 is insanely quiet and better riding than an ES, and the G70 was quieter than my 2021 IS 300. So I hope Lexus learns some (good) lessons from the competition.
The G80 should be quieter and better riding than the ES. it's bigger, heavier and costs more.

Overall, I can easily believe that Toyota has skimped on soundproofing, especially for Toyota-brand models like Camry and Highlander that are built to a price and have Lexus-brand twins that need to justify their higher pricing in some way.

As for whether Lexus knows how to build a quiet car, I'm confident they do. It was Lexus whose original LS 400 innovated a whole host of sound-reducing measures that are industry standards today, from plugging holes in the firewall to using fibrous wheelwell liners that don't make a noise when water and objects hit them. The ES is rated as one of the quietest cars at its price, and I for one have no complaints at all on that score.
Old 09-18-22, 06:22 PM
doncmleon
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut

Having worked on dozens of cars over the years, I totally understand you. Let me be one of the 1st to tell you: These cars are VERY well built. In fact, one of the reasons I loved this project is finding out just how well the car was created.

The clips don't break, as long as you have the right tools. Just pay attention, take your time, and you'll be fine. If you need any advise or help, this forum is an amazing tool.

Last edited by doncmleon; 09-18-22 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 03:55 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default My Wind Noise Solved

Originally Posted by dezymond
40lbs extra is not that much added on at all, so like you said, the difference would be negligible. I find my 2022 to be pretty quiet and the only thing that bugs me a bit is a the wind noise, but I can easily tune it out. I may look into this.
I just took my recently purchased 2022 ES350 Base model (2,300 miles) in for service due to excessive wind noise that was coming from the drivers side of the car starting at 43MPH and became excessive at highway speeds. A service tech found a bulletin about the problem and replaced my back left quarter panel glass. Wind noise is almost completely gone now. Before it was like someone had left a window partially open (apparently it was). I'm very pleased with the low road and wind noise now.

I hope this helps someone with a similar wind noise issue.
Old 01-28-23, 05:32 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Specifically to address the wobbly-flexing door skin on closing. Question: Is it safe to assume 100 mil would offer more toward this end than 80?

Last edited by F3Woody; 01-28-23 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-28-23, 07:24 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Specifically to address the wobbly-flexing door skin on closing. Question: Is it safe to assume 100 mil would offer more toward this end than 80?
Usually thicker = better, but that’s not always the case. Comes down to material used and quality, but if it’s the exact same brand and product, just 2 variants, get the 100mil.
F3Woody (01-28-23)
Old 01-28-23, 08:16 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
I just took my recently purchased 2022 ES350 Base model (2,300 miles) in for service due to excessive wind noise that was coming from the drivers side of the car starting at 43MPH and became excessive at highway speeds. A service tech found a bulletin about the problem and replaced my back left quarter panel glass. Wind noise is almost completely gone now. Before it was like someone had left a window partially open (apparently it was). I'm very pleased with the low road and wind noise now.

I hope this helps someone with a similar wind noise issue.
I wouldn't say that the wind noise is that significant for me, it's something I've gotten used to, but it definitely isn't like the wind noise created per that TSB.

I do have a slight rattle near the driver's door or near the top at the pillar that isn't consistent, but shows itself frequently. Have gotten used to it though.
Old 01-28-23, 08:27 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

You won't notice a difference between 80 and 100 mil. I put in the AmazonBasics knock-off product that's like KilMat.

Last edited by LS500Fan; 01-28-23 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-28-23, 08:28 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

I just found a 197 mil mat. Any issues with being too thick? I'm ok with overkill if it means my door feels & sounds like my 2019 RX door. That thing is so solid, such a pleasing THUD
Old 01-28-23, 10:41 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
I just found a 197 mil mat. Any issues with being too thick? I'm ok with overkill if it means my door feels & sounds like my 2019 RX door. That thing is so solid, such a pleasing THUD
That will be hard to work with (cut, handle, roll). Go for the thinner stuff and then put on 2 layers.
F3Woody (01-28-23)
Old 01-28-23, 11:26 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Don’t put too much on a door skin. The heavier the door is, the more likely things will come loose by slamming the door closed. I went overboard with dynamat on doors once.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening took 2022 ES300h to a new level