ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Text messages on main display screen? 2019 ES 350 Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-22, 05:17 PM
playmkr56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Text messages on main display screen? 2019 ES 350 Premium

I'm trying to get newly received text messages to display on my screen. Any idea how to do this?

My phone is paired through bluetooth...I am able to make and receive phone calls. When I receive a text message, there is a notification and a sound that plays. However, the tezt message is not displayed or read aloud.

My 2016 ES would read my text messages....

Help a noob!

Thanks
Old 09-17-22, 07:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I can't recall exactly where the setting is but you have to select something like DROPDOWN MESSAGE READ - dig through the 15 layers of menu items from PHONE I think. Good luck. I haven't set that in nearly four years.
Old 09-17-22, 11:28 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 552 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by playmkr56
I'm trying to get newly received text messages to display on my screen. Any idea how to do this?

My phone is paired through bluetooth...I am able to make and receive phone calls. When I receive a text message, there is a notification and a sound that plays. However, the tezt message is not displayed or read aloud.
First, I don't know if there's any variation in Bluetooth phone operation functionality between Canadian and US sold ES versions. So, keep in mind the below is for a US sold ES version and there may be some unknown to me differences of operation with a Canadian sold ES and specific US manual references, especially page numbers, may not match up with Canadian supplied manuals.

In the [US pdf version] 2019 Lexus ES 350 Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual on page 248 in the "Checking received messages" section there is this note:

The text of the message is not displayed while driving.
So while driving the only means of knowing what the text of a message is is to have it read out by the system.

In the same manual starting on page 258 the "Message settings screen" is where you find locating the "Automatic Message Readout" item which you "Select to set automatic message readout on/off." (That item is located by "MENU" button -> "Setup" -> "Phone" [icon] on the submenu -> Select “Messaging” and the "Automatic Message Readout" item will/should be the second on the listed items.)

Also, if you're interested in changing the display configurations of SMS/MMS notifications you can find that in the same manual on page 252 in the "Notifications settings screen" section. (The screen for those settings is located by "MENU" button -> "Setup" -> "Phone" [icon] on the submenu -> Select “Notifications”.)

If using voice commands are your style, in the same manual in the [voice] "Command list" section, "Phone": "While incoming message notification is displayed*1, 2" subsection has “Read Message” listed as the voice command that "Reads the incoming message over the vehicle speakers".

If your Bluetooth connect phone is an iPhone, I'll mention the Mobile Assistant function supports Siri Eyes Free Mode which will allow you to command Siri to readout messages to you as well as voice dictate replies or new messages.
Old 09-18-22, 05:38 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Menu > phone > lower left icon for phone > list of messages > top message is most current > highlight top message and enter

He/She will read the message then ask if you want to dictate a reply or use a preset phrase (be there soon, etc)