ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ES to lose its 6-cylinder engine in 2024?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 09:16 AM
asadani
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I don’t know if you are aware, but Lexus lifecycles are typically 6 or 7 years long (at least in the pre chip/component shortage world). Since this generation of the ES came out in 2019, and was slightly refreshed in 2022, I wouldn’t expect to see a new generation until the 2025 model year. In my opinion, it would be extremely unlikely for Lexus to make major changes to the drivetrain until the next generation, as others have already suggested. I’m not trying to be redundant here, but I didn’t see anyone suggest a year to anticipate the next Gen and since you stated you were new to the forum I wanted to clarify that. While nothing is set in stone, the 2024 model year will most likely have the V6 IMHO.
I would agree but I in no way can wait for 2024. My Audi Q5 sits in the garage more than it sits at home. I believe All Audi owners should get together and raise a class action on them
Old 09-20-22, 09:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by asadani
I would agree but I in no way can wait for 2024. My Audi Q5 sits in the garage more than it sits at home. I believe All Audi owners should get together and raise a class action on them
What's wrong with your Q5? My daughter has a 2018 with roughly 60K on the clock and it's been a reliable car (other than a warranty turbo problem very early on).
Old 09-20-22, 09:56 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I took the V6 while the getting was good, and although I admire the hybrid system as a technological achievement, I'm glad I did.

Sincerely,
Granddad
Me, too. and I plan to drive into the sunset!
PS I'm a grandad, too!
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaboom:
LexFinally (09-20-22), Paul3637 (10-15-22)
Old 09-20-22, 10:09 AM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
What's wrong with your Q5? My daughter has a 2018 with roughly 60K on the clock and it's been a reliable car (other than a warranty turbo problem very early on).
I have a 2016 AudiQ5 with about 81k miles on it. I live in the UAE so this equates to about 130 kms. Having said that the car breaks down regularly. A few things to note down.
1. Gas Leak - about 2 k usd
2. Engine housing and a lot of other components - about 3 k usd
3. Break pad and disc change regularly. - about 1.5 k usd
4. Battery died twice in these years of ownership - total about 1.5 k usd
5. Oil Leak - about 3 k usd
6. Coolant Leak - about 2 k usd
7. Steering noise - Fixed 4 times under warranty. now that warranty is out I live with it
8. Ceiling crackling noise. I didn't bother to fix it
9. Squeaky noise in the drive shaft after the service. The service guy said to ignore it or pay about 5k usd to change it.
10. High consumption on oil. I have to put a litre once a week for the indicator to not appear.

A lot others I can't think off. Now that everything was fixed. I went on a vacation (not because of the car) but returned in 4 days. The car wouldn't start. Audi Dubai has been finding ways to deny the warranty claim. I use a taxi daily everyday. The last update was that the warranty will be denied because I installed a carplay module and that voids the battery warranty. Total Scams.
I know the random taxi guys by name and they usually don't trust that I drive as I'm riding on them so very often.
Friends are not interested to listen to my car troubles as it's repetitive. The dealer has listed out items for repair with the struts which I've refused.

I cannot stress more. I would rather crush and then burn the car and publish the video on youtube for the world to see what crappy junk Audi makes. I almost forgot. After a lengthy service of my car about 2 months ago, I get a check engine light and the dealer embarrassed himself and apologized. They did fix it for free but it was a useless trip to the dealer and a waste of time.

Finally, Audi calls me to offer deals on an upgrade.

Sorry but such things in a car are unacceptable. I used to own a Toyota which was with me for 15 years and never went for a repair except for an oil change. The AC was so cold that the new buyer asked If I have filled up the freon that I may have had a leak. Else why would the Aircondition cool it so well and that he doesn't trust a 15-year-old car can give out that type of cooling?

If this post helps one person to sell his Audi, I can call myself lucky.
The following 3 users liked this post by asadani:
AndrewLWSN (10-08-22), GS350Miami (09-21-22), LexFinally (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 11:49 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,298 Likes on 903 Posts

According to your list you spent about $13,000.00 on repairs for the Audi. I think I would have crushed and burned it a long time ago... At the very least sell it...
The following users liked this post:
Paul3637 (10-15-22)
Old 09-20-22, 11:55 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

If this post helps one person to sell his Audi, I can call myself lucky.
Just wow. I thought my Tesla Model S ownership for 5 years was a doozy, an Audi is worse. Definitely do not buy a Tesla either, stick with Toyota and Lexus.
Old 09-20-22, 12:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
According to your list you spent about $13,000.00 on repairs for the Audi. I think I would have crushed and burned it a long time ago... At the very least sell it...
Yikes! I would have bailed out at about $3k, or even less.

OTOH I had a Q5 without any big issues other than a couple service bulletins that were taken care of during routine service and one recall for a seat belt sensor on the front passenger seat. I traded it in on an A5.
Old 09-20-22, 12:11 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bc6152
I agree and to top it off I have not listed at least 50 percent additional. The worst is that I don’t have a car to drive even after owning a “decent” one.

the audi service center representative even told me that the cars are not designed for the Middle East. They simply make crappy products period. When I was buying one a lot here warned me against the brand and tried to steer me towards Lexus but when you compare the car optics Audi at that time stood out with bang and olufsen speakers and a smooth ride.

I didn’t even mention that since day one the car sings on the road and some mechanics have mentioned that the differential is defective but it’s so minor that it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
Old 09-20-22, 12:14 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Just wow. I thought my Tesla Model S ownership for 5 years was a doozy, an Audi is worse. Definitely do not buy a Tesla either, stick with Toyota and Lexus.
I’m glad to see this. I’m also on the fence to get the Tesla model Y and have heard a lot of stories on Reddit.

in my personal opinion of Tesla ride vs Lexus, the Tesla had a lot of road noise when compared to the Lexus or even an Audi. It was a Tesla model 3 2020 model.
Old 09-20-22, 12:16 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yikes! I would have bailed out at about $3k, or even less.

OTOH I had a Q5 without any big issues other than a couple service bulletins that were taken care of during routine service and one recall for a seat belt sensor on the front passenger seat. I traded it in on an A5.
You went from and Audi to an Audi? The one of the few. Probably I got sold a lemon in that case but I’m sure im not an isolated case. This brand is known for its issues
Old 09-20-22, 12:23 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 339 Posts

I have an Audi as well as my 2021 Lexus. I have to say that both have been trouble free for me so far. BUT I don’t dare over play my hand with the Audi. I don’t dare continue owning it after 50,000 miles.
As has oft been written on this forum, “BUY a Lexus, LEASE an Audi!” 😜
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaboom:
GS350Miami (09-21-22), LexFinally (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 12:45 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 657 Likes on 491 Posts

I agree and to top it off I have not listed at least 50 percent additional. The worst is that I don’t have a car to drive even after owning a “decent” one.

the audi service center representative even told me that the cars are not designed for the Middle East. They simply make crappy products period. When I was buying one a lot here warned me against the brand and tried to steer me towards Lexus but when you compare the car optics Audi at that time stood out with bang and olufsen speakers and a smooth ride.

I didn’t even mention that since day one the car sings on the road and some mechanics have mentioned that the differential is defective but it’s so minor that it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
Well, at least you have cheap gas.
bc6152 (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 01:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You went from and Audi to an Audi? The one of the few. Probably I got sold a lemon in that case but I’m sure im not an isolated case. This brand is known for its issues
Yes, based on our experience with the Q5 we got an A6 which was also a good experience with no major issues. I don't keep any cars much beyond the factory warranty including our 2 Lexus so long-term reliability isn't a big deciding factor in a purchase.
Old 09-20-22, 02:54 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

Will the 8th Generation lose the V6? 100%. Will the 8th generation come out in 2024? No. Will there be a good replacement for the V6? Yes.

The new RX is built off of the same platform as the ES, so it's safe to assume the 8th generation ES will have either the exact same powertrains as the 5th Gen RX, or slightly updated variants of it.

For comparison sake:

Current V6 ES - 302 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque
New RX 500h - 367 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque

The only downside is it'll be a turbo as opposed to NA.

GS350Miami (09-21-22)
Old 09-20-22, 03:15 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAZ

The only downside is it'll be a turbo as opposed to NA.
That's not the only downside, though. It not only will lack the smoothness and pleasing sound of the naturally aspirated V6, it will also be more mechanically complex and costlier to repair.
The following 4 users liked this post by LexFinally:
ATL350 (09-21-22), bc6152 (09-21-22), glamglam (10-17-22), GS350Miami (09-21-22)

Quick Reply: ES to lose its 6-cylinder engine in 2024?