ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What is an interesting or unusual discovery you’ve made from having an ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-22, 09:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I find my 2021 battery charges extremely fast. I love its battery management.

The good:

I am surprised I can have my cake and eat it too with this car.

What do I mean by that? Large, heavy, lumbering car that has quick (sometimes dare I say powerful) acceleration that also gets 40+ mpg.

Surprised I can get 50+ mpg on highway trips, 72+ mph easily with AC on.

Surprised even though its Camry/Avalon, Lexus spent good money on the finishing details. Surfacing on stampings are excellent.

How quiet and smooth the hybrid powertrain is, exception while under full throttle acceleration (which is really rarely needed/used for this type of car)

How good the handling is. Despite being the non-sport and large/heavy, the handling is confidence inspiring and sharp. Though weak traction with the energy tires.

at 10,000 miles, the cross-hatching on the brakes still show. thanks to the hybrid system. (See pic below)

bad:

The front doors feel and sound cheap when closed, at times. Close them as softly as possible.

The spring/damper setup is pretty much identical to Camry. (except for tuning) i wish there was more differentiation between the ES and lower models. As such the suspension doesn't feel too refined at times.

If I was a V6 owner, I'd want bigger brakes. Especially an F Sport owner. The TRD Camry/Avalon borrows brakes from the highlander. The ES350 F Sport should get those brakes.

The trunk shuts kinda flimsily. feels like it's 1 lb. the trunk flexes side to side, it's not stiff. Minor, but still a little off putting. but i guess that's how the car gets 40+mpg... by basically being a Camry using generally Camry-like build. i understand the necessary evils to keep the car light and economical (and affordable)

Not a fan of the hybrid brake pedal engagement at very slow speeds like 1-5mph. Camry hybrid had a service bulletin which addresses this with software, but Lexus to my knowledge did not get this software update. If reversing out of or pulling into a parking spot for example and using your brakes to adjust (or while in stop and go traffic speeds) the pedal will click very strongly at times as you engage/de-engage the brake pedal. If you've ever driven a BMW with broken front control arm bushings and tried to brake, you know what this feeling is like. it's a sharp click you feel in your foot. it happens only at times. I know with 22 models, there's some mention of a new tuning of the brakes for "better feel at slow speeds" not sure if that's what this addresses. I get the general way the hybrid brakes system may feel different, but this I feel can be resolved with a software fix. My CT200h although had awkward transitions from regen to friction, did not do this sharp click/clunk for example.

The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
mcomer (10-03-22), UltraLux22 (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22, 12:59 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

delete .
Old 10-03-22, 12:59 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Ummm, no, don't work with fob or button inside the car.
Push and hold for a few seconds always works for me.
Old 10-03-22, 01:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Apparently your Lexus ES was a custom build, one off, that has this feature. Mine as well as everyone else's trunk that has posted on this subject cannot be closed by pushing the inside button, holding the inside button, or using the key fob either inside or outside the vehicle. Guess you're just lucky. Wish mine worked like yours...
Old 10-03-22, 03:07 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Apparently your Lexus ES was a custom build, one off, that has this feature. Mine as well as everyone else's trunk that has posted on this subject cannot be closed by pushing the inside button, holding the inside button, or using the key fob either inside or outside the vehicle. Guess you're just lucky. Wish mine worked like yours...
I think it can be enabled by the dealer. This is what I found on Carista app. There are 3 options
Open/close power rear hatch via interior switch
Disabled / Close only / Enabled
Old 10-03-22, 03:56 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I think it can be enabled by the dealer. This is what I found on Carista app. There are 3 options
Open/close power rear hatch via interior switch
Disabled / Close only / Enabled
Can these be enabled with Bluedriver?

edit: Nevermind, won't work with bluedriver apparently. According to their site. I may try it using my buddy's bluedriver later though.

Edit 2: Friend has a Carista dongle and I used it. I only skimmed really quickly but saw no option to enable a trunk close option, only trunk open.

​​​​​​The window roll down from fob or doorhandle is disabled by default so I may enable them. Another weird omission I saw was passenger mirror tilt down when in R was "user setting" or something like that. I never realized I'd miss this feature until my ES. So will enable that was well.

Last edited by dezymond; 10-03-22 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 04:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Those ES with Navigation also have the Weather Channel. Gets both traffic and weather updates
from terrestrial Hybrid Digital (HD) stations and from the Lexus App in phones that are Bluetooth connected.

The really smooth part is to use the voice commands. Overall trick to using voice commands is that she does
not speak (or listen) as fast as I do. Press the speech button and wait a moment. Second trick is to always start
with a verb: Show, Call, Dial, Tune, Cancel... Try "Show weather forecast" or "Show weather map". "Tune
satellite channel Bluesville", "Call Mom home". Great Nav command is "Show Previous Destinations"..."Number 3"!
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (10-04-22)
Old 10-03-22, 06:17 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, the Lexus ES350 has cheap parts and cheap and light sheet metal. The alternative is to either live with it or do what some ES350 owners are starting to do and douse gasoline all over the car and torch it to a crisp and then buy something else.
LS500Fan (10-03-22)
Old 10-04-22, 04:43 AM
lccgl479
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My 2 cents

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
It can be tangible or intangible. I’ll start.

1. While not so out of the ordinary but I never realized how dependent on the Panoramic View monitor I’d become until I had to drive another vehicle that didn’t have it. I was surprised at the slight anxiety I had when driving in situations where tight maneuvering was necessary. I kept second guessing my distances.
2. After signing up for the app, I was pleasantly surprised the first time I forgot to roll my windows up and left a door unlocked. I had no idea I would be alerted about that kind of thing. I was relieved because I can be forgetful.
2. I was surprised at how much my car reminded me of the Predator.
What I found surprising is the power and quickness of this car. I previously owned a 1985 IROC-Z Camaro that did 0-60 in 7 seconds flat. At the time one of the quickest on the road. My 2020 ES 350 smokes that.

I also found the “Sport Mode” exhilarating!!

As for interesting, I find the ride height to be deceiving, especially when parking at curb stops. It should be obvious that it sits as low as it does, after all you can see it. I guess after driving a SUV for the past 16 years, I had some reprogramming to do.

She is, without a doubt, the finest car I’ve ever owned. I love driving it, and so far have nothing negative to say about her.
Old 10-04-22, 06:01 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by lccgl479
What I found surprising is the power and quickness of this car. I previously owned a 1985 IROC-Z Camaro that did 0-60 in 7 seconds flat. At the time one of the quickest on the road. My 2020 ES 350 smokes that.

I also found the “Sport Mode” exhilarating!!

As for interesting, I find the ride height to be deceiving, especially when parking at curb stops. It should be obvious that it sits as low as it does, after all you can see it. I guess after driving a SUV for the past 16 years, I had some reprogramming to do.

She is, without a doubt, the finest car I’ve ever owned. I love driving it, and so far have nothing negative to say about her.
If the harshest criticism I can co me up with for my 2021 350 ES is that the Car Play is not wireless, then I know it's pretty much as close to "perfect for me" as a car can get...

Last edited by Shaboom; 10-04-22 at 06:01 AM. Reason: correct a typo
lccgl479 (10-04-22)
Old 10-04-22, 07:15 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I can verify that this works for me too!
Old 10-04-22, 07:51 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
If the harshest criticism I can co me up with for my 2021 350 ES is that the Car Play is not wireless, then I know it's pretty much as close to "perfect for me" as a car can get...
At least this has been addressed and updated for the 2023 Model.
Old 10-04-22, 07:55 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Those ES with Navigation also have the Weather Channel. Gets both traffic and weather updates
from terrestrial Hybrid Digital (HD) stations and from the Lexus App in phones that are Bluetooth connected.

The really smooth part is to use the voice commands. Overall trick to using voice commands is that she does
not speak (or listen) as fast as I do. Press the speech button and wait a moment. Second trick is to always start
with a verb: Show, Call, Dial, Tune, Cancel... Try "Show weather forecast" or "Show weather map". "Tune
satellite channel Bluesville", "Call Mom home". Great Nav command is "Show Previous Destinations"..."Number 3"!
I like the fact that the voice prompt can be stopped for certain operations and only tone prompts allow for speedier operation.
Old 10-04-22, 09:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer

I only use the voice feature for texting or calling someone. I once tried "fill up regular" but that command didn't seem to work.
Old 10-05-22, 01:44 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I had 2 very pleasant discoveries after buying my ES.

1) The amazing ML sound system. I hesitated for about 2 or 3 months before buying the ES because of all the bad comments I read on the Internet about the sound system. Turns out these comments were all about the base sound system. In fact, many of the comments didn't specifically say which sound system they were bad talking and a lot of people mistakenly thought they were talking about the ML system. So, I went for a test drive with a few of my best sounding CDs to allay my concerns.

2) The Bird's Eye View. I had no idea this feature even existed. It's now my second favorite feature.

Overall, I love the car. Here's what I posted after owning it for about a week or 2.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-to-drive.html
UltraLux22 (10-05-22)

Quick Reply: What is an interesting or unusual discovery you’ve made from having an ES?