ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What is an interesting or unusual discovery you’ve made from having an ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 09:52 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 928 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
As the curve speed reduction is new for the 22 MY, I found a press release for a few more new for '22 features. Many of these are improvements/updates upon existing features.

5 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE 2022 LEXUS ES

https://pressroom.lexus.com/5-things...2022-lexus-es/
Thanks for sharing. This is the first thing I've seen that clearly explained the weird "greater foot confidence" statement about the brake-pedal revision for '22.
Old 10-20-22, 07:49 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

I made an unusual discovery today. I have always leave my headlight to auto at all times. However this early evening when I got into my car I got a message to turn on my headlight. As it turned out when I cleaned car the other day I must had accidentally knocked it into the off position. It is a neat safety feature.
The following 2 users liked this post by ionian:
dr3wski (10-20-22), UltraLux22 (10-20-22)
Old 10-20-22, 09:06 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
I made an unusual discovery today. I have always leave my headlight to auto at all times. However this early evening when I got into my car I got a message to turn on my headlight. As it turned out when I cleaned car the other day I must had accidentally knocked it into the off position. It is a neat safety feature.
Tidbits like this are one of the reasons why I started this thread. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-20-22, 09:34 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Today I finally decided to use the paddle shifters. I did not realize that by hitting the down paddle it would drop into 5th and hitting the plus would put it back into Drive without having to move the shifter to sport mode. Nice.
Old 10-21-22, 08:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
Same thing if you leave a window open.
Old 10-21-22, 08:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RKF350
Today I finally decided to use the paddle shifters. I did not realize that by hitting the down paddle it would drop into 5th and hitting the plus would put it back into Drive without having to move the shifter to sport mode. Nice.
Not sure what you mean. The paddles work like this in mine: - = downshift, + = upshift. Nothing to do with SPORT mode as far as I know.
Old 10-21-22, 08:51 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Same thing if you leave a window open.
I experienced that feature long ago and same if your roof isn't completely closed when you shut off the engine. It is a nice touch. Probably my favorite feature these days is seat belt warning light for back seats. One of my kids likes to pretend he has seat belt on sometimes just to fool with his old man. He can't do that anymore in my Lexus!

Last edited by ionian; 10-21-22 at 08:52 AM. Reason: ...
Old 10-21-22, 08:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Not sure what you mean. The paddles work like this in mine: - = downshift, + = upshift. Nothing to do with SPORT mode as far as I know.
I think what he meant was you can engage the manual selecting of gears by using the paddles ONLY as opposed to having to move the shifter lever over to the left for the +/-.

IIRC it works the same way in the hybrid too.

Using the paddles in the hybrid is interesting but i don't see a need for it. i find it faster and easier to just jab the go pedal. i guess it can be useful to hold a "gear" if you anticipate you'll need the powertrain to be pre-wound up.
Old 10-21-22, 09:01 AM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry if I described it incorrectly, I thought you had to shift the car to S to use the paddle shifters.

I did not mean using the dial for driving mode select switch.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (10-21-22)
Old 10-21-22, 09:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by RKF350
Sorry if I described it incorrectly, I thought you had to shift the car to S to use the paddle shifters.

I did not mean using the dial for driving mode select switch.
I think the paddles are just a shortcut, but if i planned on driving using manual selection, i'd still physically shift the lever over to S so it stays locked in. I think paddles only is for a quick momentary hands-free way to slow the car down using engine braking. no need to take your hands of the wheel and get distracted (my hunch anyway)
Old 10-21-22, 10:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think the paddles are just a shortcut, but if i planned on driving using manual selection, i'd still physically shift the lever over to S so it stays locked in. I think paddles only is for a quick momentary hands-free way to slow the car down using engine braking. no need to take your hands of the wheel and get distracted (my hunch anyway)
I only use the paddles if there's a pressing need to pass especially on an uphill incline. The downshift works well in that situation. I've never placed the shifter to the left though.
Old 10-21-22, 10:31 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 334 Posts

I only use the paddles if there's a pressing need to pass especially on an uphill incline. The downshift works well in that situation. I've never placed the shifter to the left though.
Never touch ‘em. I enjoy the luxury of an excellent, smooth automatic transmission, thank you.
Old 10-21-22, 12:28 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Classic Drivers School technique is to never shift in a corner, changes the weight transfer,
upsets the balance and potentially skids a tire. Not sure why paddle shifters are needed.
Downshift to the gear that will be appropriate for the corner exit speed and brake until you turn.
Roll on the throttle as you unwind the wheel and upshift on the next straight.
Old 10-22-22, 08:08 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Using the paddles in the hybrid is interesting but i don't see a need for it. i find it faster and easier to just jab the go pedal. i guess it can be useful to hold a "gear" if you anticipate you'll need the powertrain to be pre-wound up.
For rural/city driving I will agree with this. When I first saw them on a hybrid I thought it was pretty funny. But after driving on some steep mountain grades I have come to appreciate them for engine braking.
Old 10-23-22, 10:52 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 356 Posts

While waiting on my iMac to be diagnosed at the Apple Store, I discovered that after 1 hour of being parked, my ‘22 ES 350 shuts completely off.
A smart, useful protection feature!

Years ago, I accidentally left my Acura TL type S running and when I went out to leave for an event several hours later, the gas tank was empty.

Quick Reply: What is an interesting or unusual discovery you’ve made from having an ES?