ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What is an interesting or unusual discovery you’ve made from having an ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-22, 01:22 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
While waiting on my iMac to be diagnosed at the Apple Store, I discovered that after 1 hour of being parked, my ‘22 ES 350 shuts completely off.
A smart, useful protection feature!

Years ago, I accidentally left my Acura TL type S running and when I went out to leave for an event several hours later, the gas tank was empty.
Thankfully, it hadn’t been stolen!
Old 10-23-22, 03:49 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Thankfully, it hadn’t been stolen!
I know what you mean!
But on this occasion, I was actually in my Lexus waiting. But the time I ran the tank dry, my Acura was in the driveway and this was 2007. The key fob let me lock the car like normal but I think the 2nd key was in the car which is why I wasn’t alerted. Plus the car was very quiet!
Old 10-26-22, 05:17 AM
robbiensfl
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Many issues with my 2020 es350 fsport

Where do I begin? This is about the 8th ES 350 I have leased. My first Lexus was the ES 330, before ES 350 was made. Here are the issues with my 2020:

Acceleration issues: some say it's the transmission, others say it's the fuel pump (class action lawsuit pending) since I received one of those postcards.
  • Mileage Range: previous models gave me about 330-340 miles per full tank, which is pretty poor. My F-Sport shows 250-265 miles per full tank and yes, F-Sport's fuel tank is one gallon smaller.....would've been nice for dealer to tell me that. It has been "recalibrated" 2 times.....no improvement.
  • Here's the big one: I use the cruise control on the highway.....great how it increases or decreases speed, even coming to a full stop if necessary. Recently on the highway, I had a complete safety feature mechanical failure and rear-ended vehicle in front of me! My car did not slowdown in cruise control (long roadtrip and first time it has happened), Collision hard stop didn't work, airbags didn't deploy and seatbelts didn't lock!
Needless to say, when my car comes out of the Lexus body shop, I'm saying goodbye to Lexus after being a loyal customer for over 20 years.
Old 10-26-22, 06:23 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by robbiensfl
Recently on the highway, I had a complete safety feature mechanical failure and rear-ended vehicle in front of me! My car did not slowdown in cruise control (long roadtrip and first time it has happened), Collision hard stop didn't work...
I had a completely different experience. About a year ago I was traveling on the highway and I didn't even had cruise control activated. The traffic abruptly came to a stop. The car in front of me was slow to pump the brakes when the other car in front of her came to a stop. My car pumped on the brakes and stopped me from rear ending her vehicle just in nick of time. I was a bit shaken as it was a very close call. Without the autonomous emergency braking I had no doubt I would had been in an accident.

What kind of cruise control did you have on? There are two types. There is the dumb one vs the smart one for the lack of better words.

Last edited by ionian; 10-26-22 at 06:29 AM. Reason: ....
Old 10-26-22, 06:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Where do I begin? This is about the 8th ES 350 I have leased. My first Lexus was the ES 330, before ES 350 was made. Here are the issues with my 2020:

Acceleration issues: some say it's the transmission, others say it's the fuel pump (class action lawsuit pending) since I received one of those postcards.
  • Mileage Range: previous models gave me about 330-340 miles per full tank, which is pretty poor. My F-Sport shows 250-265 miles per full tank and yes, F-Sport's fuel tank is one gallon smaller.....would've been nice for dealer to tell me that. It has been "recalibrated" 2 times.....no improvement.
  • Here's the big one: I use the cruise control on the highway.....great how it increases or decreases speed, even coming to a full stop if necessary. Recently on the highway, I had a complete safety feature mechanical failure and rear-ended vehicle in front of me! My car did not slowdown in cruise control (long roadtrip and first time it has happened), Collision hard stop didn't work, airbags didn't deploy and seatbelts didn't lock!
Needless to say, when my car comes out of the Lexus body shop, I'm saying goodbye to Lexus after being a loyal customer for over 20 years.
And you chose not to brake yourself??
The following 4 users liked this post by mikemu30:
GS350Miami (10-27-22), JamesAZ (10-26-22), LS500Fan (10-26-22), Mrbungle11 (12-08-22)
Old 10-26-22, 08:39 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/aaa-research-automatic-braking/

New research shows automatic braking doesn't always work

It sounds like a great idea -- technology that can hit the brakes in your car even if you fail to. About 90% of new vehicles have automatic braking, but according to a new report, it doesn't always work.

Test video from AAA shows how automatic emergency braking can prevent a rear-end accident.

The feature uses cameras and sensors to detect a vehicle.

"It will apply the brakes if the driver does not," Megan McKernan, group manager of automotive services at AAA, said.

McKernan was part of the research that tested vehicles from four automakers.

"We found at 30 miles an hour, 85% of the time the vehicle either came to a complete stop or significantly mitigated the speed," she said.

But when the speed was increased to 40 mph, the cars stopped only 30% of the time.

When researchers looked at left-hand turns, every vehicle failed to stop.

The same was true when the cars encountered another vehicle in an intersection. In every test, there was a crash.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety recently tested 23 vehicles approaching a pedestrian at night. Only four received a superior rating.

"About half of the vehicles received either no credit or a basic credit rating, which is our bottom two ratings," David Harkey, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said.

Despite the results, experts support the technology.

"AAA is definitely an advocate of this feature," McKernan said, "and we just want to see automakers continue to refine and improve the systems."

McKernan says it's important to remember these systems have limitations, and drivers must always stay alert.

The research also showed that automatic braking not only struggles at higher speeds but also in the dark.

At the end of the day, you must be aware of your surroundings.
Old 10-26-22, 09:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Here's the most important statement in that article: At the end of the day, you must be aware of your surroundings. I routinely use radar cruise but never ever ever let it bring the car to a complete stop. I'm engaging brakes long before that would ever happen despite the technology.
The following 6 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dr3wski (10-26-22), GS350Miami (10-27-22), JamesAZ (10-26-22), Mrbungle11 (12-08-22), Oldfart (10-26-22), TechNut (10-27-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-26-22, 10:52 AM
ionian
Instructor

Occasionally during high way driving I engaged adaptive cruise control just for give my hands and foot some temporary relief. However I am always mindful and have my foot hovering just above the brake paddle just in case. There are conditions and systems limitations to this new fangled technology. I don't understand how some people could just blindly trust it. Maybe part of it was result of manufacturing marketing bs or people just over estimating the benefit.

Last edited by ionian; 10-26-22 at 10:53 AM. Reason: ....
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 11:08 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 163 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
And you chose not to brake yourself??
Yeah, right? "My car didn't automatically brake! What a piece of crap! Oh, why didn't I brake...? Uhhh... No, Toyota is in the wrong! Not me!"
The following 2 users liked this post by JamesAZ:
GS350Miami (10-27-22), ionian (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 01:14 PM
robbiensfl
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ionian
I had a completely different experience. About a year ago I was traveling on the highway and I didn't even had cruise control activated. The traffic abruptly came to a stop. The car in front of me was slow to pump the brakes when the other car in front of her came to a stop. My car pumped on the brakes and stopped me from rear ending her vehicle just in nick of time. I was a bit shaken as it was a very close call. Without the autonomous emergency braking I had no doubt I would had been in an accident.

What kind of cruise control did you have on? There are two types. There is the dumb one vs the smart one for the lack of better words.
I supposedly have the "smart one" but wasn't very smart then!!
Old 10-26-22, 01:16 PM
robbiensfl
8th Gear

I did try and brake......put my foot almost to the floor board but did nothing....too little too late I guess
Old 10-26-22, 01:19 PM
robbiensfl
8th Gear

My foot was hovering above the brake pedal, but the 2 cars ahead of me (yes, they hit too) stopped so abruptly, I couldn't react quickly enough. Also the pickup I rear ended had a hitch on it too.....made bad into worse!
Old 10-26-22, 01:26 PM
robbiensfl
8th Gear

As Dustin Hoffman said in Rainman, "I'm an excellent driver".

But seriously, I haven't been in an accident or had a citation issued in about 30 years. I'm always aware of of my surroundings.

Guess we can't trust technology.......and "self driving" cars????? YIKES
dr3wski (10-27-22)
Old 10-26-22, 01:31 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 163 Likes on 93 Posts

I did try and brake......put my foot almost to the floor board but did nothing....too little too late I guess
My foot was hovering above the brake pedal, but the 2 cars ahead of me (yes, they hit too) stopped so abruptly, I couldn't react quickly enough. Also the pickup I rear ended had a hitch on it too.....made bad into worse!
So it sounds like to me it was the construct of the situation, not the car that caused you to crash. I've put over 100k miles on the TNGA-K platform between my Camry, ES, and Highlander, and never once have the brakes been an issue for me. Hell, if anything the automatic braking has been too much! I'll be coming up to a car that suddenly stopped at 20mph, and my car will scream "BRAKE!" and play it's notorious brake-scrapping sound as I grip my steering wheel for dear life.
Old 10-27-22, 06:56 AM
ionian
Instructor

I haven't been in an accident or had a citation issued in about 30 years.
That is an excellent record. I read a while back the average drivers get into an accident once about every 10 years and most are just fender bender variety.
robbiensfl (10-30-22)

Quick Reply: What is an interesting or unusual discovery you’ve made from having an ES?