ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Beginner questions on the ES 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-22 | 06:15 PM
Joules
6th Gear

Question Beginner questions on the ES 250

Dear all,

I purchased a 2021 ES 250 AWD with the 2.5L 4Cyl motor for $40k after everything, it isn't a v6, but enough for my needs. Hopefully owners here can help me with some of the questions I have on this old-new car!

1. What octane of gas does it require? Google told me 87 minimum, sales told me premium (octane unclear)
2. The front emblem's clear glass cover is cracked, L/Certify says the safety feature works but won't replace it. Are there after market parts which I can jerry-rig onto the oem emblem?
3. What is the best way to accelerate if I am going to over take on the highway? I am afraid that just simply flooring the engines will hurt the motor, perhaps I need step on the gas in intervals?
4. Does the 2.5L 4Cyl have a name and reputation? Is it the same one that is in the Camrys?

Apologies if I seem ignorant, and thank you for reading!

Last edited by Joules; 10-01-22 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Details
Old 10-01-22 | 07:03 PM
dezymond
Instructor

1. Your car manual says 87 minimum.
2. Not sure, but I don't know if I'd trust aftermarket in this regard as it deals with safety features.
3. Like any other vehicle, gradual acceleration.
4. 2.5 L A25A-FKS I4 (also indicated in your car's manual)
Old 10-01-22 | 07:25 PM
Joules
6th Gear

Thank you for the reply, I realized that these details should be in the manual, but I actually don't have the car yet. Sorry for jumping ahead and asking.

EDIT: I have driven the Rav4 for a while and found its performance to be lacking during over takes, I suppose I will have to be gentle with the Lexus too when I am overtaking or passing.

Last edited by Joules; 10-01-22 at 07:30 PM. Reason: New info.
Old 10-01-22 | 08:18 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

1. Just use 87. Sure, you can use 91 or 93, but you're just wasting money for no reason.
2. Just buy an OEM emblem. It'll be a bit pricey, (I'm seeing $150-$200 from 30 seconds of searching), but aftermarket ones are usually cheap crappy plastic.
3. Floor it. You'll be fine. It's the same engine as my 2018 Camry, and I sold it at 102k miles flooring it when needed to. Drove like new the day I sold it and had 0 issues with it. It's a Toyota, not a Range Rover.
4. Yes. It's the same engine found in the Camry.
Old 10-01-22 | 08:19 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joules
Thank you for the reply, I realized that these details should be in the manual, but I actually don't have the car yet. Sorry for jumping ahead and asking.

EDIT: I have driven the Rav4 for a while and found its performance to be lacking during over takes, I suppose I will have to be gentle with the Lexus too when I am overtaking or passing.
Gotcha. The manual is available on Lexus website if you want to get a head start.

​​​​​​I haven't driven the rav4 but I imagine you'd drive your new 250 about the same. The ES is about as heavy, if not heavier, than the rav4 so however you drive now you'd most likely continue the same with the ES.
Old 10-02-22 | 09:02 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dezymond
Gotcha. The manual is available on Lexus website if you want to get a head start.
Since you are new to ClubLexus, I realize you may not be aware of the website referred to above. Here is a link to that site dezymond referred to. Just enter the model and year to locate your vehicle's manuals: Manuals Warranty | Lexus Drivers
Old 10-02-22 | 11:20 AM
Lead Lap

Don’t worry about the motor. Drive it as required to traffic conditions.

Old 10-02-22 | 01:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

OP, I have test driven the ES250 as a loaner.
ES250 doesn't have good power for emergency overtaking.
However, it has adequate power, and smoothness and quietness for normal driving.

ES's weigh hundreds of pounds more than Camries, so the same 2.5 L engine must work much harder than in Camries.
Because ES's have more sound deadening, ES's are likely to be driven much harder than Camries again.
Thus, try not to constantly use wide throttle openings unless necessary, because this will cause the same engine to age much faster than in Camries.

Ultimately, bacause your ES250 weighs hundreds of pounds more than Camry, and has more sound insulation which encourages harder driving, your ES250’s motor will not be as bullet proof as Camry 2.5.

If one wishes to constantly drive hard, then either purchase a 2.5 L gasoline-electric hybrid or a 3.5 L V6.

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-02-22 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-02-22 | 08:59 PM
Joules
6th Gear

Originally Posted by peteharvey
OP, I have test driven the ES250 as a loaner.
ES250 doesn't have good power for emergency overtaking.
However, it has adequate power, and smoothness and quietness for normal driving.

ES's weigh hundreds of pounds more than Camries, so the same 2.5 L engine must work much harder than in Camries.
Because ES's have more sound deadening, ES's are likely to be driven much harder than Camries again.
Thus, try not to constantly use wide throttle openings unless necessary, because this will cause the same engine to age much faster than in Camries.

Ultimately, bacause your ES250 weighs hundreds of pounds more than Camry, and has more sound insulation which encourages harder driving, your ES250’s motor will not be as bullet proof as Camry 2.5.

If one wishes to constantly drive hard, then either purchase a 2.5 L gasoline-electric hybrid or a 3.5 L V6.
Thank you for this advice. This is exactly what I want to know, whether pushing the gas pedal hard and fast will hurt the engine. I will be gentle with it, which I don't have a problem with.
Old 10-03-22 | 02:06 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Thank you for this advice. This is exactly what I want to know, whether pushing the gas pedal hard and fast will hurt the engine. I will be gentle with it, which I don't have a problem with.
If you have an emergency or whatever and you need to full throttle - then by all means - boot it...
Old 10-03-22 | 07:41 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Engine wear is caused by: dirty oil, dirty air, dirty fuel, overheating, overrevving, improper maintenance parts.
It does not seem that an engine pressed to work within its design limits would cause excessive wear.
The following 3 users liked this post by mcomer:
JamesAZ (10-03-22), LexFinally (10-03-22), TechNut (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 08:54 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcomer
Engine wear is caused by: dirty oil, dirty air, dirty fuel, overheating, overrevving, improper maintenance parts.
It does not seem that an engine pressed to work within its design limits would cause excessive wear.
Don't be silly! If you read the oil change interval thread, engine wear is ONLY caused by 10K mile oil changes. LOL I digress...
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (10-08-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 10:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Dear all,

I purchased a 2021 ES 250 AWD with the 2.5L 4Cyl motor for $40k after everything, it isn't a v6, but enough for my needs. Hopefully owners here can help me with some of the questions I have on this old-new car!

1. What octane of gas does it require? Google told me 87 minimum, sales told me premium (octane unclear)
2. The front emblem's clear glass cover is cracked, L/Certify says the safety feature works but won't replace it. Are there after market parts which I can jerry-rig onto the oem emblem?
3. What is the best way to accelerate if I am going to over take on the highway? I am afraid that just simply flooring the engines will hurt the motor, perhaps I need step on the gas in intervals?
4. Does the 2.5L 4Cyl have a name and reputation? Is it the same one that is in the Camrys?

Apologies if I seem ignorant, and thank you for reading!
Welcome!

87. It's a Camry.
No jerry rigging
Floor it
Camry
Old 10-03-22 | 11:42 AM
Joules
6th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
Welcome!

87. It's a Camry.
No jerry rigging
Floor it
Camry
Thank you! Guess people here do have mixed opinions on whether flooring it will cause excessive wear.
Old 10-03-22 | 11:50 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Thank you! Guess people here do have mixed opinions on whether flooring it will cause excessive wear.
As long as you're not redlining it, the only negative will be increased fuel consumption. I assume you're only doing these types over overtakes on the occasion, and not flooring it from every red light or trying to get around someone cause they're going 50 in a 45, etc.. So as long as you drive it like it's a Lexus ES, and not a BMW M3, you'll be fine. People don't buy Toyotas/Lexuseseseses to baby them, they buy them cause they can take whatever they throw at them.

Quick Reply: Beginner questions on the ES 250