ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Wireless charging for iPhone 13 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 11:15 AM
hbarchha
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless charging for iPhone 13 Pro

My ES 300h gives me 3 orange blinks in about 30 seconds while charging iPhone 13 Pro. Other devices like iPhone 11, AirPods etc are charging well.

anybody facing such issue? Any specific solution?
Old 10-10-22, 06:53 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by hbarchha
My ES 300h gives me 3 orange blinks in about 30 seconds while charging iPhone 13 Pro. Other devices like iPhone 11, AirPods etc are charging well.

anybody facing such issue? Any specific solution?
Yep. Several threads about this. Do a search but to answer your question, it's the case that is preventing it from charging. I haven't tried my new 14 pro max but I am going to assume the case will still prevent the charging just like the MANY MANY cases i've tried on both the 12 pro max and 13 pro max. I have only ever been able to have successful wireless charging with the cases off but that is TOO much hassle to remove the case and put it in the armrest. I am hoping this new wireless charging for the 23 MY will allow for the phone to charge with the case on. They improved the location so hopefully they recognized that just about anyone who has an iPhone is going to have a case. I basically stick with phone cord charging. It's faster anyway at this point.
Old 10-11-22, 05:09 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

The case and also the camera bump. Try without the case.
Old 10-11-22, 06:13 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Got to love that Magsafe feature............ :P
Old 10-11-22, 07:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I don't see the need for wireless charging on the 13P/14P unless you're on a 48-hour continuous road trip. The battery lasts absurdly long and charges fast via wired. Even then, I have a rapid charger in the cig plug for those times which is 400x more effective and satisfying than using the wireless charger. Maybe OP will get used to that as he owns the car longer.

but yeah back in the day? it was a constant struggle having to always have your phone plugged into the car. I remember with my brand new 2016 IS200T F Sport, with the iPhones of that era, the phone would drain faster than the car could charge it with GPS, spotify running.

Today the 13/14P can just run on its own battery, everything running, without breaking a battery sweat. long distance!
Old 10-11-22, 08:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I don't see the need for wireless charging on the 13P/14P unless you're on a 48-hour continuous road trip. The battery lasts absurdly long and charges fast via wired. Even then, I have a rapid charger in the cig plug for those times which is 400x more effective and satisfying than using the wireless charger. Maybe OP will get used to that as he owns the car longer.

but yeah back in the day? it was a constant struggle having to always have your phone plugged into the car. I remember with my brand new 2016 IS200T F Sport, with the iPhones of that era, the phone would drain faster than the car could charge it with GPS, spotify running.

Today the 13/14P can just run on its own battery, everything running, without breaking a battery sweat. long distance!
Honestly similar experience with my two year old Galaxy S20+.
Old 10-11-22, 09:20 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by bootman
Got to love that Magsafe feature............ :P
I loved magsafe on my 17" unibody MacBook pro. I can't remember how many times my laptop was saved from certain "death" due to rowdy pets that love to run through the house. I LOVE magsafe now and have since my iphone 12 pro max up through my current 14 pro max. I WISH the ES would incorporate magsafe into the wireless charger because that would ensure that magsafe devices/cases would work accordingly. It would also have the benefit of limiting movement thus ensuring a secure fit. But not everyone uses iPhones so it's understandable that car manufacturers would go with a more universal option. I'll be curious to see if any changes were made to improve charging ability with various cases, considering the wireless charger was moved, as I doubt they will adopt magsafe anytime soon.
That being said, I would likely stay corded primarily because of the audio element of my iphone function.
Old 10-11-22, 09:23 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Many phone cases are simply too thick or the charging systems don't allow for proper alignment thus causing issues many of us have that the OP is experiencing. I personally prefer wired connection/charging in my car for audio reasons. The poor layout in the center console is a sore spot but even if it worked perfectly or was relocated (as in the 2023 ES) I would likely still use a corded connection. But like any feature in our cars, you've paid for it and have the right to want to use that feature. It's ok to use it regardless of rationale, benefit, or reasons not stated here. Nothing wrong with that, even if it's not the popular preference. Giving advice about alternative options and potentially helpful suggestions, especially ones that have measurable improvement/performance like faster charging and improved audio quality, are usually welcomed. Gotta learn somehow/somewhere. Yet, sometimes that is irrelevant to the one posing the question. Balancing helpful, possibly beneficial advice and alternatives is one thing. Being dismissive to a legitimate question or concern is another. New posters might benefit from that consideration. Just a thought!
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 10:10 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

The qi charger in the Lexus is pretty lousy overall. I don't use a case on my phone and unless it's perfect placement, the phone won't charge. Also, my phone does slip around too when driving so the material doesn't keep devices in place either. There's little room for error when placing the phone and even just slightly off will stop the phone from charging. I wish there was a way to remove it so I could just have more center console compartment space.
Old 10-11-22, 10:20 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
The qi charger in the Lexus is pretty lousy overall. I don't use a case on my phone and unless it's perfect placement, the phone won't charge. Also, my phone does slip around too when driving so the material doesn't keep devices in place either. There's little room for error when placing the phone and even just slightly off will stop the phone from charging. I wish there was a way to remove it so I could just have more center console compartment space.
I think there is a work-around/fix for that. It's called a 2023 model. I couldn't help myself!

I'm sure someone will get frustrated enough and find a work around. As for the slippage, again magsafe technology is, if nothing else, good for that. Just saying but I realize that's not going to happen and not everyone owns/loves iPhone.

Jokes aside, from what I can remember, the slot for the wireless charger on the '23 should help eliminate/minimize that movement issue. I'm WAYYYY to clumsy and MUST have a phone case with lots of grip and protection. I can't count how many times I've thanked my lucky stars for my Otterbox Defender. Over the years it has saved me from so many claims to apple care. I digress.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-11-22 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (10-12-22)
Old 10-11-22, 10:43 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I think there is a work-around/fix for that. It's called a 2023 model. I couldn't help myself!

I'm sure someone will get frustrated enough and find a work around. As for the slippage, again magsafe technology is, if nothing else, good for that. Just saying but I realize that's not going to happen and not everyone owns/loves iPhone.

Jokes aside, from what I can remember, the slot for the wireless charger on the '23 should help eliminate/minimize that movement issue. I'm WAYYYY to clumsy and MUST have a phone case with lots of grip and protection. I can't count how many times I've thanked my lucky stars for my Otterbox Defender. Over the years it has saved me from so many claims to apple care. I digress.
Hah you may be right. Though I also think they're using the lower quality Qi coils that don't cover much area either, they're quite small. There are plenty high quality qi chargers out there (that aren't in cars) that can charge through even Otterbox cases. Toyota/Lexus just goes with the cheapest route, no surprise.

sidenote: I am definitely not an iPhone fan, even after multiple attempts over the years.
Old 10-12-22, 04:51 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

iPhone 8 Plus, thin case, wireless charger works great. So maybe it’s the camera bump on the recent models which cause the problem. But, as others have noted, if a case is used, it must be a thin one.
Old 10-18-22, 12:53 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by rachelgome
Steps are given below-

Connect your charger to power.
Place the charger on a level surface or other location recommended by the manufacturer.
Place your iPhone on the charger with the display facing up. ...
Your iPhone should start charging a few seconds after you've placed it on your wireless charger.

This may help you,
Rachel Gomez
This thread is referring to the wireless charging feature on the ES 350 not a standalone charger.
Old 06-24-23, 06:52 AM
geewiss1
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a 2023 and I have a pixel 7 pro with a thin case and have these same issues. Phone charges fine without the case. Going to try some other cases but such a hassle!
Old 06-25-23, 05:32 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

I have my old 2016 Apple iPhone SE that is not capable of synching with the wireless charger in my 2021 ES 350. Is there any kind of adapter or anything that I can get to make the wireless charger and this old phone compatible? It’s not so terrible, as I can do a wired charge of the phone and conceal it in my elbow rest compartment. But just wondering…

Quick Reply: Wireless charging for iPhone 13 Pro