ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Engine Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 09:45 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts
Default Engine Hesitation

When I'm gently accelerating between 38 and 45 mph, going up an incline, I experience some engine hesitation or roughness. If I accelerate seriously, it may lessen or not occur. Car only has 8500 mi on it (2021 ES 350) and I think it's been doing this since it was brand new. Not getting any worse but getting any better, either. Is this a transmission thing? It isn't happening as the car shifts gears. Maybe I need Premium fuel, though I never carry heavy loads, just normal weight wife and I.
I also feel a bit of this when I first drive the car in the morning. During the first minute or two, the engine is rough. I thought it was because the engine was cold. But even though the needle says cold, it's not "winter cold," the car having been sleeping in a warm garage throughout a dry, warm summer overnight.
Any diagnosis?
Old 10-25-22, 09:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
When I'm gently accelerating between 38 and 45 mph, going up an incline, I experience some engine hesitation or roughness. If I accelerate seriously, it may lessen or not occur. Car only has 8500 mi on it (2021 ES 350) and I think it's been doing this since it was brand new. Not getting any worse but getting any better, either. Is this a transmission thing? It isn't happening as the car shifts gears. Maybe I need Premium fuel, though I never carry heavy loads, just normal weight wife and I.
I also feel a bit of this when I first drive the car in the morning. During the first minute or two, the engine is rough. I thought it was because the engine was cold. But even though the needle says cold, it's not "winter cold," the car having been sleeping in a warm garage throughout a dry, warm summer overnight.
Any diagnosis?
It's the crappy transmission IMO. Don't waste your $ on premium fuel. If I drove lots of stop and go, I would have dumped this car years ago.
Old 10-25-22, 11:34 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Any diagnosis?
I've noticed something similar going 25-30 up a gentle hlll right after a cold start. Not a "hesitation" or "roughness," but an odd minor surging/pulsing. Weird, but there seem to be no other consequences to it.

Seconding MikeMu, I would absolutely, positively not waste money on premium gas for this problem. I'm confident it has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Our cars are designed and rated to run smoothly on regular gas from Top Tier brands, and I've experienced no other roughness or drivability problems doing so.

Last edited by LexFinally; 10-26-22 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-25-22, 11:38 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Any diagnosis?
The hesitation you feel upon the first drive of the day or after it's sat for a while is common from my experience. It was more prominent in my '19 Lux. The service advisors gave some B.S. excuse and told me to drive in sport mode to eliminate or minimize this. IMO changing the fuel will not alter the experience you have with the hesitation as I do not believe it to be engine related. I don't ever feel like the engine is rough but maybe our interpretations might differ but I absolutely have and continue to experience what you do. Want to really feel some hesitation from a transmission, drive a '22 RX 350. (Don't come for me RX owners!)&#128516 I drove 4 in a row, including F-sport and I can't believe I forgot the experience. I'm waiting to retest a 450 but otherwise I'm sticking to the ES.

**EDIT***
When I experience the hesitation it's been on a straight, relatively flat road. I imagine I would experience it going up a hill or in any driving situation that's been mentioned.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-26-22 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-25-22, 11:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
The hesitation you feel upon the first drive of the day or after it's sat for a while is common from my experience. It was more prominent in my '19 Lux. The service advisors gave some B.S. excuse and told me to drive in sport mode to eliminate or minimize this. IMO changing the fuel will not alter the experience you have with the hesitation as I do not believe it to be engine related. I don't ever feel like the engine is rough but maybe our interpretations might differ but I absolutely have and continue to experience what you do. Want to really feel some hesitation from a transmission, drive a '22 RX 350. (Don't come for me RX owners!)&#128516 I drove 4 in a row, including F-sport and I can't believe I forgot the experience. I'm waiting to retest a 450 but otherwise I'm sticking to the ES.

**EDIT***
When I experience the hesitation it's been on a straight, relatively flat road. I imagine I would experience it going up a hill or in any driving situations that's been mentioned.
Wow my wife's 17RX has the same tranny and it is silky smooth other than an infrequent rough downshift from high speed.
Old 10-25-22, 11:51 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Wow my wife's 17RX has the same tranny and it is silky smooth other than an infrequent rough downshift from high speed.
OT
When driving the F Sport some odd noise was happening too upon initial acceleration. I couldn't believe what was going on. Plus the seats but that's for another thread LOL. Between test drives and Loaners, I've driven 7 - 8 RX's from MY 21 and 22. I don't' remember the issues in the '21's but I couldn't handle the issues with the '22s

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-26-22 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-26-22, 03:53 AM
GS350Miami
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Only during first two or three minutes

I do get some of that old cold car roughness the first few minutes out of the house in the morning. My previous GS and RX did not have that. Rest of the day the car is smooth as silk.
Old 10-26-22, 05:58 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Have you ever reported it to the service department? I’d like to know how they explained it away.
Old 10-26-22, 08:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I have a 2016 RX and it has the same hesitation. Its the Tranny-Engine combo.

On the other hand the ES 300h is silky smooth and the car jumps as soon as you touch the pedal. Love the Hybrid drivetrain in this car.

If the hesitation in city traffic bothers you, try the Hybrid.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
E46CT (10-26-22), LS500Fan (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 08:05 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Mike has made it known on this forum he would never switch to the dark side
Old 10-26-22, 08:07 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Electricity makes it the bright side...
Old 10-26-22, 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ionian
Mike has made it known on this forum he would never switch to the dark side
Never say Never.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 08:34 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Prove us wrong!
Old 10-26-22, 08:49 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
OT
When driving the F Sport some odd noise was happening too upon initial acceleration. I couldn't believe what was going on. Plus the seats but that's for another thread LOL. Between test drives and Loaners, I've driven 7 - 8 RX's from MY 21 and 22. I don't' remember the issues in the '21's but I couldn't handle the issues with the '22s
I can’t say I have noticed this in the 450h - but I do run in Eco mode most of the time. I doubt the drive mode would impact this sort of hesitation issue but you never know. I do notice a small bit of drone that others in the RX subforum have commented on, but it isn’t loud enough to bother me or my wife (she hasn’t even mentioned it).
Old 10-26-22, 09:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ionian
Prove us wrong!
My ES only has 55K miles so no way I'm letting go of it in this market But my wife may eventually trade her RX for the new gen hybrid. Stay tuned
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (10-26-22)

Quick Reply: Engine Hesitation