ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

7th Gen Lexus ES Ambient Lighting Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 07:53 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Gawein
It looks way too bright at night in the pictures. It would bother my drive to be honest. I would call these flex in your face rather than ambient haha
I think when I took the pic it may have been the brightest or near brightest setting. It's got 10 levels of brightness and I keep it at level 2 or 3 at night.
Old 06-22-23, 08:20 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got a new '23 Luxury trim. I've noticed that the stock ambients don't have light on the driver's side dash. They do everywhere else, just not there, and that seems too inconsistent for Lexus design. Is that correct, or do I have a defect? I've been looking at youtube videos on the ambient lights, and that appears to be the case, but there's no great camera angles to make sure.
Old 06-22-23, 08:47 PM
Gawein
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minotaar
I've got a new '23 Luxury trim. I've noticed that the stock ambients don't have light on the driver's side dash. They do everywhere else, just not there, and that seems too inconsistent for Lexus design. Is that correct, or do I have a defect? I've been looking at youtube videos on the ambient lights, and that appears to be the case, but there's no great camera angles to make sure.
You mean the very small dash piece on the left hand side? Yeah they skimped on the ambient lighting there. Typical fashion of cost savings
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (06-22-23)
Old 06-22-23, 11:10 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gawein
You mean the very small dash piece on the left hand side? Yeah they skimped on the ambient lighting there. Typical fashion of cost savings
dang. ok thanks!
Old 12-15-23, 06:20 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
There's a handful of kits out there. I just wanted the surrounding strips across the cabin, so this kit does the trick. I personally feel the ambient lighting found on Mercedes is a bit excessive. I like the fact that this setup will add a nice touch of atmosphere as opposed to turning my car into a rave party.

But as for the cable connector, this is the cable that came with it:

The one I'm holding is the one that comes with the kit that I assume connects to the cable for the power folding mirrors. There are 3 other identical rectangle ones that are for the bottom cable pictured above that go to all the other doors. The driver's side connector is slightly bigger than the other 3's though to accommodate for the extra window switches, so I can't temporarily use one of those in the meantime either. I had a very similar kit on my Camry that I should have just stolen the connector from since they look like they would have fit, but oh well, the car is already sold and gone lol.

I recall seeing that feature when I was going through my settings but didn't think anything of it at the time since I figured I didn't need to turn it off. I'll probably test it out in a few weeks if no one confirms or denies that it'll fix the issue. Not a big deal for now, but in the long term, I would definitely want the lights to always be on.

hey could you please tell me where this plugs into

many thanks

Old 12-16-23, 02:17 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
hey could you please tell me where this plugs into

many thanks

This connector looks to have the same shape and pin locations as either of J27 power window regulator motor assembly (driver door) connector, J5 power window regulator motor assembly (front passenger door) connector, L4 power window regulator motor assembly (rear RH door) connector, or L10 power window regulator motor assembly (rear LH door) connector. For reference, see lexusguide.net Lexus ES (XZ10) Service Manual's Power Window Control System (for Gasoline Model) - Terminals Of Ecu (scroll down to the bottom half of the web page to see info on those connectors). (There's a version for the hybrid model but there's no difference from the gasoline model version.) The connectors described onthe top half of that page are the connectors for the switch end of the cables attaching to the above listed power window regulator motor assembly connector. For a wiring diagram showing how those connectors pair up, see the wiring diagram on Power Window Control System (for Gasoline Model) - Power Window Switch Malfunction (B2312) (scroll down past the DTC list for the wiring diagram).

I think the ambient light kit cables for the door strips are extension or replacement cables with branch taps on the pin 1 and 2 power circuit wires to get power for the kit's light strips. You can verify that with a simple continuity check between pins 1 and 2 in the white connectors and the two pins/sockets in the black connector which the black and red wires connect to. If they're following the red for power and black for ground wire coloring convention, pin 2 should be connected to the red wire and pin 1 to the black wire.
FreddyG (03-24-24)
Old 12-16-23, 01:39 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
This connector looks to have the same shape and pin locations as either of J27 power window regulator motor assembly (driver door) connector, J5 power window regulator motor assembly (front passenger door) connector, L4 power window regulator motor assembly (rear RH door) connector, or L10 power window regulator motor assembly (rear LH door) connector. For reference, see lexusguide.net Lexus ES (XZ10) Service Manual's Power Window Control System (for Gasoline Model) - Terminals Of Ecu (scroll down to the bottom half of the web page to see info on those connectors). (There's a version for the hybrid model but there's no difference from the gasoline model version.) The connectors described onthe top half of that page are the connectors for the switch end of the cables attaching to the above listed power window regulator motor assembly connector. For a wiring diagram showing how those connectors pair up, see the wiring diagram on Power Window Control System (for Gasoline Model) - Power Window Switch Malfunction (B2312) (scroll down past the DTC list for the wiring diagram).

I think the ambient light kit cables for the door strips are extension or replacement cables with branch taps on the pin 1 and 2 power circuit wires to get power for the kit's light strips. You can verify that with a simple continuity check between pins 1 and 2 in the white connectors and the two pins/sockets in the black connector which the black and red wires connect to. If they're following the red for power and black for ground wire coloring convention, pin 2 should be connected to the red wire and pin 1 to the black wire.

thank you so much for that could find that information cause all I saw was the plain back of the door panels.!!
didn’t even think of looking at the switches ..!!

I will send that info to my installers!!

many thanks !!!!!!
Old 03-23-24, 07:55 PM
jsangha5
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation Help

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
So I'll be honest I meant to go back and redo it since there was a slight rattle for the first week behind the infotainment, but I've had no issues since so I don't want to mess with it. But if you want me to I can do a quick write-up on how you have to go about it.
Hello JamesAZ, I have a 21 Lexus ES350 and I want to buy this kit for my car but wanna know how to install everything properly before making the purchase. I had a couple of questions to ask. For the door panel trims, where would you plug the wire into for power? And when you do get power to it, how would it coordinate with all the other lights to make it one color like does it all integrate within the one connection or what? Same thing with the passenger side dash trim piece, where would you plug that wire in for power? Another question is once you connect the module to under the steering wheel, how do you change the color of the lights from the wheel? Basically is there a detailed wiring instruction that comes with the kit that will help with powering and making sure all the lights are the same color? Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you
Old 04-26-24, 04:09 PM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I just finished the full install including backseat lights, with the shadow ambient. There are 5 controller modules that communicate with each other with what I assume is Bluetooth or even CAN-BUS. The steering wheel controls work with holding back and either up, right, or left. Right is 9 stages of dimm and off. Left is mode select. Up is 64 color select. If you use app and do symphony preset for the top trim, the color changing from the steering wheel will only effect bottom lighting. You can ask the seller to send you a doc of instructions. If I can upload here I will.

Edit: looks like their docx was attached to this reply. It leaves a lot to be desired. Expect the install to take you 2-3 days of you aren't experienced. You will want to be in a space that lets you swing the doors all the way open.

Edit 2: there is a plug in a hole attaching to the inside of the door, can see it in the docx attached. This was not explained by OP and had me scratching my head for a couple hours.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
????ES???????.docx (1.85 MB, 21 views)

Last edited by Jersey5974; 05-09-24 at 02:02 AM.
FreddyG (05-11-24)
Old 05-28-24, 07:31 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

My order should be coming in 2 weeks! Any instructions on how to remove the longer piece from the dash?
Old 05-28-24, 08:13 AM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lesley248
My order should be coming in 2 weeks! Any instructions on how to remove the longer piece from the dash?
May depend on model year
Old 05-28-24, 08:19 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jersey5974
May depend on model year
remove for 2019?
Old 05-28-24, 08:22 AM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

remove for 2019?
Yeah for sure need the remove most of it due to needing to unseat the screen. Iirc you'll want to remove everything north of the radio, including the radio itself. Also take this opportunity to pass through the main footwell cable from driver to passenger.
Old 05-28-24, 08:43 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jersey5974
Yeah for sure need the remove most of it due to needing to unseat the screen. Iirc you'll want to remove everything north of the radio, including the radio itself. Also take this opportunity to pass through the main footwell cable from driver to passenger.
jfc... if I skip dash, would I be able to just do the doors only?
Old 05-28-24, 09:17 AM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

jfc... if I skip dash, would I be able to just do the doors only?
Yes, but it's really not that tough to do passenger dash, and that allows you to do footwells (front and rear), and backrest if you have it.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen Lexus ES Ambient Lighting Kit Installation