ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

7th Gen Lexus ES Ambient Lighting Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24, 08:14 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Successfully installed the longer dash trim on passenger side this weekend and it was such a pain. Biggest takeaway is to just take out the remove the radio and snake in the extension adapter from the kit to underneath the steering column. If you don't remove the radio, it's not happening. Trust me.

I've also written up instructions on how to remove the front seat back covers for the ambient lighting here. JamesAZ feel free to use my pics and update your instructions if you'd like
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (06-25-24)
Old 07-01-24, 03:44 PM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Finally done with the install this weekend! Sharing some additional takeaways/comments to questions I was thinking about while I was contemplating on whether I should buy it or not.

-I only installed the center dash x2 and door trims. Definitely didn't want to drill a hole for the storage light and didn't care for the footwell light. Considered doing the door handle...

-But door handles fit like crap. I don't know if it's just my set but it took me a bit to realize that the front and rear triangle piece are different sizes. Thought that that was the fix to my problem but it still didn't fit like OEM so I scrapped it. If I had installed it, I probably would've taken it off anyways. Feel like the trim only gives the car a much cleaner and elegant look. Just my opinion and preference.

-All of the red plugs are the same. I spent so much time trying to google translate, label the wires and placing them into sorted bags but once I started installing the trims in, realized it's all the same. "contour light" tag is to the trim. JamesAZ said on his first post that you can set up different zones? I'm happy with everything as the same color at the same brightness. So if you don't care either like me, no need to spend that much time to label everything.

-The 4 identical white plug that Mrbungle was asking about is for power. It does NOT plug into your window switch but rather to the power window regulator motor. Remove the door panel and you'll see it plugged inward into a hole. You'll see what I mean when you open the door.

-Each door operates individually. It gets powered by the white connector, which plugs into the control box, which is connect to a wire that will branch out into several other red connectors, that will connect to the trim/handle/storage. There's no physical wire that will link each door to each other. Each control box communicates wirelessly with the main control box (behind the coin compartment). Start separating and organizing all the cables to 4 sets (each door). It's the same set for each door. You'll be able to fly through each door in a matter of 10 minutes if you have everything organized.

-Didn't wrap anything in foam to minimize noise/rattling. Half assed some "cable management" and popped everything back together. I've driven about 20 miles so far and didn't hear a single rattle. Don't need to worry about that too much.

-For the front seat back cover trim on top, the fitment is what you would expect buying something from Aliexpress. Wiggle it on, put some tape on the bottom to "hold it in place" and put a piece of scotch tape on each corner to pull after you get the cover back. When you reinstall the back cover, you have to push up and that may cause the light trim to slide down a bit. Use the scotch tape as a tab to pull up and it'll eventually slide out. Use electrical tape to secure the clear tube in the light hole or it may slide out in the future.

-I powered the seat trim ^ by using the reallyyyyy long (probably the longest) wire extension that I'm pretty sure is labeled as footwell? If it's not labeled, you'll see which cable I'm referring to. It's split into 2 and splits into 2 each so 4 male red connectors. Powered from the main control box by the steering wheel, hid it inside behind the driver side dash plastic trims, scuff plate, etc. (step 3 in Jame's write up) Once I got near the B pillar (on the bottom), I slipped the wires underneath the driver seat rail so between the rain and the carpet. You don't have to worry about wires getting damaged, even with the convenience seat sliding at entry/exit. Is this the right wire? probably? But like I said, all the red plugs are the same so it worked for this.

-I'm using the app Ambientavto that James posted and I am baffled on how easy it synced. The first time I opened the app, it automatically connected without needing to connect or log in or anything.

-I'm using the steering wheel controls because I didn't see anyone using the trackpad nor did the doc that Jersey5974 say anything about it. Instructions are in the document. It works fine...you're better off using the app. I've played with it a bit and have found the color I'm content with leaving it in. Would be cool for it to switch to red if I changed to sports mode but that's not an option.

Prior to this project, I installed some sound deadening and then the illuminated door sill. Feel like doing those 2 installs had slowly helped give me confidence to do this because I've already had experience removing parts from each project to lead into this. Would probably rate the install a 3/10. Removing the dash and radio an 8/10.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (07-04-24)
Old 07-02-24, 09:07 AM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lesley248
Finally done with the install this weekend! Sharing some additional takeaways/comments to questions I was thinking about while I was contemplating on whether I should buy it or not.

-I only installed the center dash x2 and door trims. Definitely didn't want to drill a hole for the storage light and didn't care for the footwell light. Considered doing the door handle...

-But door handles fit like crap. I don't know if it's just my set but it took me a bit to realize that the front and rear triangle piece are different sizes. Thought that that was the fix to my problem but it still didn't fit like OEM so I scrapped it. If I had installed it, I probably would've taken it off anyways. Feel like the trim only gives the car a much cleaner and elegant look. Just my opinion and preference.

-All of the red plugs are the same. I spent so much time trying to google translate, label the wires and placing them into sorted bags but once I started installing the trims in, realized it's all the same. "contour light" tag is to the trim. JamesAZ said on his first post that you can set up different zones? I'm happy with everything as the same color at the same brightness. So if you don't care either like me, no need to spend that much time to label everything.

-The 4 identical white plug that Mrbungle was asking about is for power. It does NOT plug into your window switch but rather to the power window regulator motor. Remove the door panel and you'll see it plugged inward into a hole. You'll see what I mean when you open the door.

-Each door operates individually. It gets powered by the white connector, which plugs into the control box, which is connect to a wire that will branch out into several other red connectors, that will connect to the trim/handle/storage. There's no physical wire that will link each door to each other. Each control box communicates wirelessly with the main control box (behind the coin compartment). Start separating and organizing all the cables to 4 sets (each door). It's the same set for each door. You'll be able to fly through each door in a matter of 10 minutes if you have everything organized.

-Didn't wrap anything in foam to minimize noise/rattling. Half assed some "cable management" and popped everything back together. I've driven about 20 miles so far and didn't hear a single rattle. Don't need to worry about that too much.

-For the front seat back cover trim on top, the fitment is what you would expect buying something from Aliexpress. Wiggle it on, put some tape on the bottom to "hold it in place" and put a piece of scotch tape on each corner to pull after you get the cover back. When you reinstall the back cover, you have to push up and that may cause the light trim to slide down a bit. Use the scotch tape as a tab to pull up and it'll eventually slide out. Use electrical tape to secure the clear tube in the light hole or it may slide out in the future.

-I powered the seat trim ^ by using the reallyyyyy long (probably the longest) wire extension that I'm pretty sure is labeled as footwell? If it's not labeled, you'll see which cable I'm referring to. It's split into 2 and splits into 2 each so 4 male red connectors. Powered from the main control box by the steering wheel, hid it inside behind the driver side dash plastic trims, scuff plate, etc. (step 3 in Jame's write up) Once I got near the B pillar (on the bottom), I slipped the wires underneath the driver seat rail so between the rain and the carpet. You don't have to worry about wires getting damaged, even with the convenience seat sliding at entry/exit. Is this the right wire? probably? But like I said, all the red plugs are the same so it worked for this.

-I'm using the app Ambientavto that James posted and I am baffled on how easy it synced. The first time I opened the app, it automatically connected without needing to connect or log in or anything.

-I'm using the steering wheel controls because I didn't see anyone using the trackpad nor did the doc that Jersey5974 say anything about it. Instructions are in the document. It works fine...you're better off using the app. I've played with it a bit and have found the color I'm content with leaving it in. Would be cool for it to switch to red if I changed to sports mode but that's not an option.

Prior to this project, I installed some sound deadening and then the illuminated door sill. Feel like doing those 2 installs had slowly helped give me confidence to do this because I've already had experience removing parts from each project to lead into this. Would probably rate the install a 3/10. Removing the dash and radio an 8/10.
My front door handles are good, but th backs needed some modification, since the tolerances didn't match. I assume its a difference between regions. I think the storage bins were worth drilling the hole, but to each their own. Was very easy to drill as well. The app has follow-2 mode where you can split the zones between top and bottom.