ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How to disable the synthetic sound from ES300H?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 02:52 AM
alexalee1
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to disable the synthetic sound from ES300H?

Hello everyone, I am not yet a Lexus ES300H owner. I was lurking late last year - early this year, but the lack of availability, and after I found out that I cannot buy the 300H F-Sport with ML and other goodies, I lost interest. I don't really need a car, I've been working from home.

But, with the 2023 model, I finally see that Lexus now allows more packages like ML on the 300H F-Sport. I built one a couple days ago to my liking, almost fully loaded was around or at precisely $56K, if I remember correctly.

Availability and chips shortage that allow Lexus to build the ML package, etc. aside, I was wondering if anyone has tried to disable the synthetic sound that happens in EV mode only at low speed.
I know that most likely this is only required (by law) for the NA market only. For example, notice that you don't hear it in this video from UK:

I don't want to disconnect the speaker wire completely, I just want to restore the ability to turn it off when the mood strikes. In the early review of the Toyota Mirai, 2nd gen from Germany, I remember the reviewer actually discussed this "Flash Gordon sound", and he was glad that it can be disabled.

I understand the safety aspect of it, but in the couple of years that I drove the Honda Clarity FCEV with no synthetic sound, I recall only one un-pleasant experience with a surprised pedestrian crossing the dark parking structure, and didn't hear me coming. It was dark due to a couple of overhead lights not turned on/broken.

I think the earlier Teslas or other EV doesn't have this "feature" either. I figure there must be a blank place on the dashboard where I can put an on/off switch for this sound. Or perhaps it's programmable from the dealer.

I suppose I can tinker with my current Venza hybrid. I don't even know where the speaker is located.

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 11-04-22, 03:01 AM
alexalee1
5th Gear

Default Comma.ai LSS+ 2.0 vs. 2.5

Continuing my "research" of buying my new vehicle to chill, has anyone tried the comma.ai ADAS on 2022 and up ES?
Their video shows it works for the 2020 model year, and their website confidently listed up to 2022, but I think in 2022 Lexus updated the LSS+ to version 2.5 (from 2.0).

https://comma.ai/vehicles

BTW, it still doesn't work for my Venza, I think, because it's encrypted even though it's TSS+ 2.0 (equivalent to LSS+ 2.0).
Old 11-04-22, 03:06 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

The noise you hear at low speed is called Pedestrian proximity warning noise bla bla bla.
I dissabled it the first day I got the car. Before, you could just unplug the cable that goes to the speaker but that is not the case anymore, now you will get warning.

I bought a resistor from Aliexpress, 10 Ohm, removed the plug and put it directly on it. No warning on the dash, no noise.

I think @E46CT did the same.

Please check this page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post11232013

Also, I am very interested on Comma.ai
TCCN bough one for his 2022 Camry Hybrid and he promised he will make a review about it but he rarely drives his car so probably that is the reason he did not made a review about it.

Last edited by ESh; 11-04-22 at 03:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alexalee1 (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 10:55 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by alexalee1
Continuing my "research" of buying my new vehicle to chill, has anyone tried the comma.ai ADAS on 2022 and up ES?
Their video shows it works for the 2020 model year, and their website confidently listed up to 2022, but I think in 2022 Lexus updated the LSS+ to version 2.5 (from 2.0).

https://comma.ai/vehicles

BTW, it still doesn't work for my Venza, I think, because it's encrypted even though it's TSS+ 2.0 (equivalent to LSS+ 2.0).
Originally Posted by ESh
Also, I am very interested on Comma.ai
TCCN bough one for his 2022 Camry Hybrid and he promised he will make a review about it but he rarely drives his car so probably that is the reason he did not made a review about it.

I have a Comma Three on my 2019 Lexus ES, I can answer any questions you may have. But it'll work just fine for a 2023 ES, it'll just need a fingerprint. They only update the website once they've verified it 100% works.

Last edited by JamesAZ; 11-04-22 at 10:58 AM.
alexalee1 (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 11:41 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

I heard about the comma gen 3 that is not much improved over the second gen. What are your impressions?
Old 11-04-22, 11:48 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
I heard about the comma gen 3 that is not much improved over the second gen. What are your impressions?
As someone who was really resistant to upgrading my 2 to the 3, and only did it simply because my C2 died, what they've been doing the last few weeks has made it worth it. My personal fork is running off of Master (their development branch) which is essentially 0.8.17, and once that gets pushed out to the public release probably sometime this month, the C3 will really shine. It has stoplight and stopsign functionality (although it's not very refined, but that'll be improved over time), and the steering controls are extremely smooth. I like to stress test their models whenever they release a new one, and with their latest one I'm able to take highway interchanges at 85mph and it's smooth as butter. In its latest state it's so good that honestly if the company shut down today and I got no more updates, I'd be perfectly okay with that.
Old 11-04-22, 12:01 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

You are pushing me to get one.

Last edited by ESh; 11-04-22 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 12:05 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
You are pushing me to get one.
Haha well, all I can say is that I don't regret purchasing one :P
Old 11-04-22, 12:07 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

I see they dropped the price. Is the 32GB version enough? How much memory you need in real life?

Old 11-04-22, 12:10 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
I see they dropped the price. Is the 32GB version enough? How much memory you need in real life?

So the storage is only if you want to save the footage. But quite honestly it's better to get the 32GB version, buy the M.2 SSD off of Amazon for $400 cheaper, take off the back which is just a few screws, and insert it yourself. It's as hard as installing new batteries in a TV remote.
ESh (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 01:03 PM
alexalee1
5th Gear

Thanks @ESh and @JamesAZ, bookmarking this page for future reference.
JamesAZ (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 01:18 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
So the storage is only if you want to save the footage. But quite honestly it's better to get the 32GB version, buy the M.2 SSD off of Amazon for $400 cheaper, take off the back which is just a few screws, and insert it yourself. It's as hard as installing new batteries in a TV remote.

Thanks.
Is it possible to turn the screen off while deivinf and to put the device behind the rear view mirror?
Old 11-04-22, 01:28 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
Thanks.
Is it possible to turn the screen off while deivinf and to put the device behind the rear view mirror?
So this is the way it'll have to be placed on the windshield. I can take a POV photo in a bit to show it really doesn't obstruct your view.

But as for turning the screen off, yes and no. You can't with stock, but with forks, you can. There's a very popular fork that has the option to do so, or if you know a lick of code, you can turn it off yourself with 2 lines of code.
Old 11-04-22, 01:41 PM
alexalee1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
As someone who was really resistant to upgrading my 2 to the 3, and only did it simply because my C2 died, what they've been doing the last few weeks has made it worth it. My personal fork is running off of Master (their development branch) which is essentially 0.8.17, and once that gets pushed out to the public release probably sometime this month, the C3 will really shine. It has stoplight and stopsign functionality (although it's not very refined, but that'll be improved over time), and the steering controls are extremely smooth. I like to stress test their models whenever they release a new one, and with their latest one I'm able to take highway interchanges at 85mph and it's smooth as butter. In its latest state it's so good that honestly if the company shut down today and I got no more updates, I'd be perfectly okay with that.
What caused your C2 to die?
Old 11-04-22, 01:44 PM
alexalee1
5th Gear

BTW, you guys just saved me the aggravation of driving an H2 vehicle.
I love the Mirai with Teammate (their ADAS, only available on "Limited" model), and with - $25K discount, it's a cheaper vehicle than the ES300H, with arguably a superior RWD architecture from the LS.
However, the drawback is that I'll be stuck in CA, and will have to deal with the H2 infrastructure. I should know, I've been there, done that with my Clarity FCEV.

Quick Reply: How to disable the synthetic sound from ES300H?