ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

No sound deadening on 2019 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 11:44 AM
Energyarts
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No sound deadening on 2019 ES350 / Center Console noise??

I opened the doors and trunk to check the door speaker systems so I can change them and saw zero sound deadening on any metal surface. Is this normal for this model year. I was like wtf, it’s not like it was a cheap vehicle either. Disappointed really.

Anyways, ordered some Kilmat sound deadening material and masked most metal surfaces in trunk and 4 doors. The difference on sound and how the doors close and feel is pretty dramatic.

Last edited by Energyarts; 11-09-22 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 11-07-22, 12:32 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 759 Posts

Most of the noise comes through the floor, not through the doors.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 12:52 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Most of the noise comes through the floor, not through the doors.
It's not a matter of sound proofing, but the way they sound when you open and close them.

I did the same thing this weekend with ResoNix CLD Squares and the way the doors open and close makes it feel like a whole new car. It's like closing a bank vault now. It makes it feel super premium.
The following 4 users liked this post by JamesAZ:
doncmleon (11-10-22), Energyarts (11-07-22), GS350Miami (01-17-23), Necro (11-09-23)
Old 11-07-22, 12:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

OP, you may be mixing up two types of noise. Actual sound deadening cuts road/ambient noise and is mostly (from the factory) layered on the floor, firewall, front and rear bulkhead, roof, and wheel wells. The kind of insulation you put on your trunk for example is really for panel flex/resonance and might affect how a panel sounds when slammed and maybe your car audio. but not much else.
ESh (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 12:58 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
OP, you may be mixing up two types of noise. Actual sound deadening cuts road/ambient noise and is mostly (from the factory) layered on the floor, firewall, front and rear bulkhead, roof, and wheel wells. The kind of insulation you put on your trunk for example is really for panel flex/resonance and might affect how a panel sounds when slammed and maybe your car audio. but not much else.
I don't think so. He never mentioned anything about road noise, just how the doors open and close afterward, which is 100% an effect when adding dampening to the metal on the doors.
Old 11-07-22, 01:00 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
It's not a matter of sound proofing, but the way they sound when you open and close them.

I did the same thing this weekend with ResoNix CLD Squares and the way the doors open and close makes it feel like a whole new car. It's like closing a bank vault now. It makes it feel super premium.

I know, the closing would sound much better if they put some of that insulation.
You must know that the 7ES is one of the quietest cars on the road. According to Matt Farah, it is the quitest car he ever driven exept for the full electric or Rolls Royce line.
After this car was tested for the first time, engineers found it to be too quiet so they had to remove some of the insulation. As you can see, the doors does not play a big role when it comes to noise.

Last edited by ESh; 11-07-22 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-07-22, 01:10 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
I know, the closing would sound much better if they put some of that insulation.
You must know that the 7ES is one of the quietest cars on the road. According to Matt Farah, it is the quitest car he ever driven exept for the full electric or Rolls Royce line.
After this care was tested, engineers found it to be too quiet so they had to remove some of the insulation. As you can see, the doors does not play a big role when it comes to noise.
I don't think his issue was with noise though, I think it came down to the common complaint of cheap feeling doors on the car:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...oor-noise.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...new-level.html

If you've ever closed the door of a high-end luxury car, or a car with dampening added on, you'll instantly notice the difference. It's not a "Maybe..." it a "Oh wow!". I did the same treatment to my Camry, and the day I bought my ES I put in my order for the Resonix dampening since I missed that solid door feeling.
F3Woody (01-03-23)
Old 11-07-22, 01:14 PM
Energyarts
Rookie

Originally Posted by ESh
After this car was tested for the first time, engineers found it to be too quiet so they had to remove some of the insulation. As you can see, the doors does not play a big role when it comes to noise.
I should have worded this a little better. I am referring to deadening the metal surface sound from a pinging sounds to solid uniform sound. Sure, outside sound db wise is the same but the way doors, trunk and speaker sound feel and sound it’s completely different. I think I just made my ES feel $10k more expensive 🤣.

I used to hear the metal shaking from a reasonable sounding music with bass sometimes. All that is gone. Resonance in the car is miles different. If anyone has the time and $60 and have a little couple of hours project I would say go for it. You won’t be disappointed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Energyarts:
doncmleon (11-10-22), F3Woody (01-03-23), JamesAZ (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 01:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Well i was referring to op's thread title: Sound deadening.

Except adding rubber mats to the door improves them in the manner specified by OP by stopping vibration/flexing of the panels. Feel free to visit my post as the first 7ES owner (that i know of) to disassemble the doors and post about adding tiny pieces of mats to control the panel flex. Refer to my post from before where i show pictures.

Also I would caution against just blanket covering a panel. law of diminishing returns at a certain point. manufacturers use 7-figure super computers to figure out exactly where to lay on asphalt sheets for example so they aren't just blanketing cars, wasting money, with no meaningful return. So you may not have access to toyota's secret data but you can sort of guess that maybe the entire panel doesn't need to be covered in 50 lbs of rubber to accomplish a particular / specific task. For me i added a couple tiny pieces on each door and got a nice result with minimal weight. I call it smart targeting. pretty much what car companies do except i use my noggin' for calculations instead of just throwing boxes of mat at my car LOL

The stuff is extremely heavy. Just a tip.
Old 11-07-22, 01:19 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Except adding rubber mats to the door improves them in the manner specified by OP by stopping vibration/flexing of the panels. Feel free to visit my post as the first 7ES owner (that i know of) to disassemble the doors and post about adding tiny pieces of mats to control the panel flex. Refer to my post from before where i show pictures.

Also I would caution against just blanket covering a panel. law of diminishing returns at a certain point. manufacturers use 7-figure super computers to figure out exactly where to lay on asphalt sheets for example so they aren't just blanketing cars, wasting money, with no meaningful return. So you may not have access to toyota's secret data but you can sort of guess that maybe the entire panel doesn't need to be covered in 50 lbs of rubber to accomplish a particular / specific task. For me i added a couple tiny pieces on each door and got a nice result with minimal weight. I call it smart targeting. pretty much what car companies do except i use my noggin' for calculations instead of just throwing boxes of mat at my car LOL

I'm still not sure where you got "Soundproofing" from OP's title of "Sound Deadening" since sound deadening ≠ soundproofing. But as for weight, I personally plastered my Resonix everywhere since I like the extra weight feel, and it only added 6 pounds to the door.
Old 11-07-22, 01:19 PM
Energyarts
Rookie

You are not wrong. I definitely used few pieces placed strategically on each metal part. Wasn’t going to waste money and weight to cover every inch. You would be amazed what a 4 inch square piece of kilmat did to a 1.5 ft of metal. So pretty much covering 2 ft of metal would have been pointless.

LexFinally (01-03-23)
Old 11-07-22, 01:21 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Energyarts
You are not wrong. I definitely used few pieces placed strategically on each metal part. Wasn’t going to waste money and weight to cover every inch. You would be amazed what a 4 inch square piece of kilmat did to a 1.5 ft of metal. So pretty much covering 2 ft of metal would have been pointless.
So I was just looking at your trunk, and I was planning on using some of my leftovers on the trunk as well, but when I did the same thing on my Camry the trunk had a hard time opening so I had to remove some so it would open again. Are you running into any issues with it? Like is it noticeably slower or louder or anything? Worried about prematurely wearing out the motor if I add too much. Probably will end up adding 2 pounds since that should be enough and not make any noticeable weight difference on the motor.
Old 11-07-22, 01:26 PM
Energyarts
Rookie

So I was just looking at your trunk, and I was planning on using some of my leftovers on the trunk as well, but when I did the same thing on my Camry the trunk had a hard time opening so I had to remove some so it would open again. Are you running into any issues with it? Like is it noticeably slower or louder or anything? Worried about prematurely wearing out the motor if I add too much. Probably will end up adding 2 pounds since that should be enough and not make any noticeable weight difference on the motor.
The spoiler that some ES come with is actually heavier than few pieces of kilmat I installed as a reference.

Not at all, there isn’t that much weight. I know it’s a night time picture but it’s only few pieces to cover the big surfaces. Barely any weight. I also added a piece on the back of the license plate so it solved that problem. However, bottom part of the plate still makes noise when closing the trunk. Need to figure a way so it doesn’t move at all when that action is performed. 4 screws would have solved that issue.
F3Woody (01-03-23)
Old 11-07-22, 01:33 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

The spoiler that some ES come with is actually heavier than few pieces of kilmat I installed as a reference.
That was my line of thought, I don't have a spoiler, so I can't imagine the 2 pounds I'll add will do anything if the motor is designed for the spoiler which I would assume weighs a bit more than 2 pounds.

However, bottom part of the plate still makes noise when closing the trunk. Need to figure a way so it doesn’t move at all when that action is performed. 4 screws would have solved that issue.
So I personally don't have that issue on my ES, but on my Camry I did, and if my memory serves me correctly, I added some double-sided 3M tape to it and that did the trick. Think it was this:

https://smile.amazon.com/3M-38582-Ex.../dp/B00JR4D70K
Old 11-07-22, 01:36 PM
Energyarts
Rookie

That was my line of thought, I don't have a spoiler, so I can't imagine the 2 pounds I'll add will do anything if the motor is designed for the spoiler which I would assume weighs a bit more than 2 pounds.

So I personally don't have that issue on my ES, but on my Camry I did, and if my memory serves me correctly, I added some double-sided 3M tape to it and that did the trick. Think it was this:

https://smile.amazon.com/3M-38582-Ex.../dp/B00JR4D70K
I might give that tape a try, however it says permanently attaching to metal. Can you remove your plate if need be?

Quick Reply: No sound deadening on 2019 ES350