The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 04:43 PM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m a sucker for triple beams.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doctj:
ESh (11-16-22), GS350Miami (11-17-22), r1supersta (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 05:37 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctj
I’m a sucker for triple beams.
My 22 ES UL has them . Love them as well.
r1supersta (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 05:45 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the LS looks better, but that's not really saying much since half the time I mistake an ES for an LS, but I never mistake an LS for an ES. When you see an LS in person, you KNOW it's an LS...
The following 3 users liked this post by JamesAZ:
GS350Miami (11-17-22), LexFinally (11-16-22), LS500Fan (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 06:14 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

I have to admit, when the current gen ES and LS first came out, I couldn't tell in person which was which. In all honestly, it was a real selling point for the ES in my eyes. While I'd ultimately choose the LS, I certainly think the ES looks elegant and imposing beyond its price.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
FreddyG (11-19-22), GS350Miami (11-17-22)
Old 11-16-22, 08:14 PM
Abre
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tbh it's the side lines and hood that does it for me.
just look at that beauty Japanese design at it's best. The crown stands no chance against this

Last edited by Abre; 11-16-22 at 08:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abre:
ATL350 (11-17-22), GS350Miami (11-17-22)
Old 11-17-22, 07:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

They're both nice. I saw a Lexus the other day from afar. was down the street off loading passengers. i thought to myself oh that's an LS. looked premium and looked like it had authority. then it came a bit closer then turned and i saw the side and it was a sunlit green ES base/premium (Single beam headlights) i was like oh.. i drive that car? i should've recognized from the front, not sure if all LSes come with triple beam. it would seem like they do.
Old 11-17-22, 07:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Both cars are beautiful but please rinse off the LS, ooops I mean the ES
Old 11-17-22, 07:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like the next ES will be a bit cleaner in design as the new Prius is. There's opportunities to tidy certain lines up, particularly the little sticks in front for the bumper bezels or the headlight sticks and grill sticks where it points to the hood. too many sticks. It's not bad, i can just see lexus cleaning it up.
Old 11-17-22, 08:00 AM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Both cars are nice, but I’ve always thought the LS was too big/bulky and long. The ES has the right proportions in comparison to the LS. I bet the LS is a better driving experience though. I would prefer the LS for the features and horsepower, but the ES looks wise.
LS500Fan (11-17-22)
Old 11-17-22, 05:34 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Abre
Tbh it's the side lines and hood that does it for me.
just look at that beauty Japanese design at it's best. The crown stands no chance against this
The Crown is bulky looking with a hunchback. The ES350 looks really sleek like the sleek Jaguar XE of the mid and late 1960's.
Old 11-17-22, 07:45 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
I feel like the next ES will be a bit cleaner in design as the new Prius is. There's opportunities to tidy certain lines up, particularly the little sticks in front for the bumper bezels or the headlight sticks and grill sticks where it points to the hood. too many sticks. It's not bad, i can just see lexus cleaning it up.
I'm not optimistic that will happen. If that were the direction, they'd have imported the beautiful Mirai-looking sedan being sold in Japan as the Crown (and reportedly designed in the first place as the next Lexus GS). What I think we're going to get is a bulbous mess on the US Crown structure.

Savagegeese is a fan of Toyota and Lexus, and in fact owns a Lexus. His dim assessment of the new RX, its ordinary interior and rattly turbo four, are in my suspicion a foreshadowing of the next ES. I'm hoping for more, but not expecting much.
GS350Miami (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 08:07 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I'm not optimistic that will happen. If that were the direction, they'd have imported the beautiful Mirai-looking sedan being sold in Japan as the Crown (and reportedly designed in the first place as the next Lexus GS). What I think we're going to get is a bulbous mess on the US Crown structure.

Savagegeese is a fan of Toyota and Lexus, and in fact owns a Lexus. His dim assessment of the new RX, its ordinary interior and rattly turbo four, are in my suspicion a foreshadowing of the next ES. I'm hoping for more, but not expecting much.

Regrettably I have to share your concern. Just look at their ads - clearly aiming at a younger demographic and focusing on F-sport models and anything but traditional Lexus qualities of quiet, luxury and comfort. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer choices for those of us who want something more relaxed. The dreaded four cylinder engine is now becoming an industry standard, even in brands that formerly eschewed such a plebeian choice in a higher end vehicle. I don't care what the numbers may show for the all-so-important 0-60 times, a four banger is still a four banger, no matter how many turbos they hang on it. I think it's also clearly true that many consumers have fallen for the ad hype over and over again, like the drive to make everything a "sport" model, which, in reality, usually is primarily a trim package with a hard ride and even harder seats at a premium price. You don't really need rock hard run flats for your daily drive. Younger buyers have never experienced how comfortable a car seat can actually be (and well designed, a richly padded seat can still offer all the ergonomic support you need) and would be shocked at the difference it can make. Oh well, the world moves on, for good or bad, and Lexus is making their choice, though if they think they're going to be the new BMW they need to think again. (Well, with 4's in everything, they might get down to BMW/MB reliability.)
Azzemoto (12-01-22)
Old 11-18-22, 09:18 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus could also give the ES an IS treatment, extend its life with a mild refresh (instead of a complete redesign) and refresh the outer metal skin. Though if they did that, i'd hope for an interior re-skin as well. I'd like a higher quality interior as well as an updated dash design.

Toyota is calling the new Prius platform TNGA Revision 2 (or TNGA 2nd Generation) so hope we can get a bit of that action too.

Jack1986 (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 07:48 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by ATL350
Regrettably I have to share your concern. Just look at their ads - clearly aiming at a younger demographic and focusing on F-sport models and anything but traditional Lexus qualities of quiet, luxury and comfort. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer choices for those of us who want something more relaxed. The dreaded four cylinder engine is now becoming an industry standard, even in brands that formerly eschewed such a plebeian choice in a higher end vehicle. I don't care what the numbers may show for the all-so-important 0-60 times, a four banger is still a four banger, no matter how many turbos they hang on it. I think it's also clearly true that many consumers have fallen for the ad hype over and over again, like the drive to make everything a "sport" model, which, in reality, usually is primarily a trim package with a hard ride and even harder seats at a premium price. You don't really need rock hard run flats for your daily drive. Younger buyers have never experienced how comfortable a car seat can actually be (and well designed, a richly padded seat can still offer all the ergonomic support you need) and would be shocked at the difference it can make. Oh well, the world moves on, for good or bad, and Lexus is making their choice, though if they think they're going to be the new BMW they need to think again. (Well, with 4's in everything, they might get down to BMW/MB reliability.)
I think there will be quiet, comfort-focused machines, but they'll be electric (i.e., useless for long trips until the charger infrastructure improves) and probably SUVs. Also, supposedly the Cadillac Lyriq sedan is designed along these lines.

Quick Reply: My two cars and I prefer the blue one