ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Adaptive Headlights -- How do I find these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 07:15 AM
FreeMason1
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Headlights -- How do I find these?

Took a 2019 ES 350 F-Sport for a drive-- the adaptive headlights (the ones that move with your steering wheel) had me hooked!

Took a luxury model for a test drive, and it didn't have it!

Is there a certain model, or the name of the option when I search the VIN?

Where should I be looking, if this is a make or break feature?

Assuming it's the same for the RX (I'm between RX and ES)

EDIT: 2019 or 2020 are the years that I'm looking at

Last edited by FreeMason1; 12-23-22 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-23-22, 08:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeMason1
Took a 2019 ES 350 F-Sport for a drive-- the adaptive headlights (the ones that move with your steering wheel) had me hooked!

Took a luxury model for a test drive, and it didn't have it!

Is there a certain model, or the name of the option when I search the VIN?

Where should I be looking, if this is a make or break feature?

Assuming it's the same for the RX (I'm between RX and ES)

EDIT: 2019 or 2020 are the years that I'm looking at
Triple Beams. Adaptive etc. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. My ES has them, my wife's RX does not. They're cool to watch when you start the car. Nice cornering effects. I'd hate to see the bill if one fails out of warranty
The following users liked this post:
bullnobull (12-25-22)
Old 12-23-22, 08:08 AM
FreeMason1
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Triple Beams. Adaptive etc. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. My ES has them, my wife's RX does not. They're cool to watch when you start the car. Nice cornering effects. I'd hate to see the bill if one fails out of warranty

Thanks for the reply! I live in a semi-rural area -- and the fastest route home is often a 2 lane road --with only trees... So far as the replacement-- I'm planning to get the Lexus Warranty-- For crap like that =)

When driving in rural areas-- is it the game changer that I would imagine?
Old 12-23-22, 08:12 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FreeMason1
Thanks for the reply! I live in a semi-rural area -- and the fastest route home is often a 2 lane road --with only trees... So far as the replacement-- I'm planning to get the Lexus Warranty-- For crap like that =)

When driving in rural areas-- is it the game changer that I would imagine?
the single beam lights work fine. Go for the triples if you're intrigued!

Last edited by mikemu30; 12-23-22 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-23-22, 09:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

The single beams (both versions) are adequate and the high beams are quite strong. I'm more impressed with the high beams than I am the low beams. But i'm spoiled and come from cars where I modified the lights. I used to run some nice setups in past cars. Laser beams basically that would shoot straight out. against a wall, you'd see a laser sharp blue line going out super far. visually impressive--custom modified/tuned 3" projectors/shields/shims/washers/lenses/solenoids. All german hardware. I miss my modified lights..

The single beams don't adapt when you turn, but they do have side-illumination when you turn at low speeds. They also activate when you use your turn signal. Same as I suspect with the triple beams.
Old 12-23-22, 01:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
The single beams (both versions) are adequate and the high beams are quite strong. I'm more impressed with the high beams than I am the low beams. But i'm spoiled and come from cars where I modified the lights. I used to run some nice setups in past cars. Laser beams basically that would shoot straight out. against a wall, you'd see a laser sharp blue line going out super far. visually impressive--custom modified/tuned 3" projectors/shields/shims/washers/lenses/solenoids. All german hardware. I miss my modified lights..

The single beams don't adapt when you turn, but they do have side-illumination when you turn at low speeds. They also activate when you use your turn signal. Same as I suspect with the triple beams.
I never noticed that on my wife's RX - turn signals etc.
Old 12-23-22, 05:23 PM
wrangler
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

Yes, the cornering lights work the same way with the triples on my '22.
Old 12-23-22, 05:38 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

[QUOTE=FreeMason1;11415723
When driving in rural areas-- is it the game changer that I would imagine?[/QUOTE]

In my personal opinion, yes. Their sharp cutoff makes the low beams more useful on level ground and less so with even the slightest hilliness, but then you just switch on the automatic high beam feature and it kicks on the high beams whenever they won't blind others. And while the standard headlights are perfectly adequate, the high beam position of the triple beams will make reflective road signs burst into flames. I came to my ES from a luxury car that had excellent xenon headlights, and the triple beams put them to shame.
UltraLux22 (12-23-22)
Old 12-24-22, 12:07 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Based on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Headlight testing technical measurement data for the 2019 Lexus ES 350 (2019 through 2021 data is all the same) and 2022 Lexus ES 350 there should be some noticeable illumination distance improvements especially in the standard LED Projector headlights' low beam and both beams' curve illumination distances for 2022 and later model years. However, the 2022 and later standard LED Projector headlights' high beam straightaway illumination distances aren't quite as long a distance as previous model years' were.

On the other hand, triple beam LED projector headlights' 2022 and later model years' is more of a mixed bag of increases and decreases in illumination distances from prior model years' illumination distances. With the exception of straightaway right edge illumination distance, the 2022 triple beam high beam measurements were disappointingly all decreased distances from those measured for prior years.

For convenience, below is the IIHS headlight measurement data reconfigured into 2019-2021 and 2022 model years' comparison tables for triple beam LED projector headlights and LED projector headlights:

LED Projector headlight illumination distance comparison table

Triple beam LED Projector headlight illumination distance comparison table

Old 12-24-22, 02:49 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

They're cool to watch when you start the car.
The self leveling is where the lights readjust when you start the car.

The cornering feature is very helpful when turning onto an unlit road. I checked out the adaptive feature on dark curvy roads, and it is a nice addition.

I wouldn't know why that feature would be on one model with triples and not another?
Old 12-24-22, 05:32 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Because they want to make you pay $1515 for the triples.

Check this video:

ATL350 (12-24-22)
Old 12-24-22, 06:18 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

I was reading the OP as the luxury model had triple beam but not the adaptive feature??
Old 12-24-22, 07:19 AM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Because they want to make you pay $1515 for the triples.

Our FIO triple beam headlights were $1215. Are they adaptive? I'll report back when I drive it at night.
Old 12-24-22, 11:53 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

For the 2022 model they were $1215, for 2019-2021 $1515 “only”.

Tripple beams for the US market are active. They go up/down-left/right but they don’t create the shade for the oncoming traffic. That option is called “adaptive” and it’s not installed on cars sold in the US because of some stupid regulations.

Last edited by ESh; 12-24-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-25-22, 10:15 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I never noticed that on my wife's RX - turn signals etc.
My 21 RX doesn't have that either. I think that's exclusive to newer generation models with single beam headlamps since my ES doesn't have the triple beams but it DOES have the cornering light at low speed.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlights -- How do I find these?