ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

CPO, and Extended CPO Warranty -_ Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 09:21 AM
FreeMason1
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default CPO, and Extended CPO Warranty -_ Regrets?

Hey Gang,

I'm starting to hone in on the 2019-2020 ES (buying pre-owned)

It appears that Lexus has a $2500-$3500 Premium for their CPO (which will extend factory warranty 2 years, with unlimited miles).
Then for an additional $3500-$5000 you can get 5 more years (total 11 years of coverage, bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage).
Is there significant value in their "Pick you up for service", "Pre-Paid Service" or any of their other "Sch-ticks"?

For those who have spent the extra money -- do you regret it? Or would you save the money, buy from an off brand dealer-- and keep on moving?

Old 01-04-23, 09:30 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I've never gotten extended warranty on any of my cars or any pre-paid services. If you're going for the extended warranty, get the lowest price possible, dealerships can afford it.
Old 01-04-23, 10:27 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 129 Posts

ooh, check this out, I've got experience from both angles.
My last two cars came from an independent 'high end" dealer, an Acura TLX and my wife's current 2019 RX350. Both had issues with brakes, both had crappy tires - like, real crappy no name dollar store tires - 90% clean interior, not 100%, and some other imperfections. This was all indicative of the type dealer and their process.

My latest car, 2019 ES 350, is a CPO from a Lexus Dealer. First of all, the entire experience is better - like you feel checking into a luxury hotel, or a high dollar restaurant - treated like a special guest, not just a customer.
By comparison, this car had brand new Michelins, 100% clean detail inside and out - I knew I would have much more confidence going this route. Also, this car only had one previous owner who purchased it from this dealer, so they had all the service records from day one.

Now I had two issues with the car, and both were handled quite well at no charge to me, and I'm certain this would not be the case anywhere else. One was the exhausted topic of the rear speaker amplifier, which they replaced according to the elusive TSB. The other, which I posted about here, was a whistling sound from the windshield at highway speeds. They ultimately discovered it had an aftermarket windshield, but because the car was CPO they replaced it with an OEM part - no questions asked. No way that would've happened at the independent dealer.

I think it's less about the 2-year oil changes and scheduled maintenance, and more about the level of confidence and service I feel that they give me.
The following 3 users liked this post by F3Woody:
irishbrahm (01-07-23), LexFinally (01-04-23), UltraLux22 (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 10:34 AM
FreeMason1
10th Gear

Super great analogy! Thanks!

Did you pay for the extended warranty (additional 5 years of unlimited mileage)?
Old 01-04-23, 10:35 AM
matthewr87
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a Ford extended warranty on my GT350 because I track it and an engine replacement is almost 30k. I never purchased n extended warranty for my previous Mustangs and certainly not for the Lexus. Just isn't worth it IMO.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 10:53 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FreeMason1
Super great analogy! Thanks!

Did you pay for the extended warranty (additional 5 years of unlimited mileage)?
I passed on the extended warranty. Time will tell if that was a good decision, lol.
Old 01-04-23, 11:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,289 Likes on 897 Posts

The thing to do is check out any pre-owned car before you put your money down. Crappy tires? get them replaced... Issues with the brakes? get them fixed... Get the car checked out by a mechanic you trust before buying... As you've found, there is a premium placed on a CPO vehicle. Don't buy one and find one that's in excellent condition without paying $3500.00. Many of the items checked on a CPO car are merely visual and others, if marginal, are disregarded. And instead of buying extended warranties for up to $6-7K place the money in an interest bearing account. When you find that you didn't need it after all, take your significant other on a trip somewhere and buy her/him flowers... The majority of members on this forum will advise you to skip any prepaid service and the Xwarranty is a waste of money and a profit for the dealer of about 90%... BTW, there are scores of posts on this subject in this forum with varying opinions... Do a search...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
F3Woody (01-05-23), LexFinally (12-19-23)
Old 01-04-23, 11:59 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

CPO offers peace of mind for sure but the extended beyond the CPO I wouldn’t get on a Lexus.
My GS350 was CPO. My GSF was not. No major issues with either that would justify spending extra for extended warranty.
Old 01-04-23, 01:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I absolutely pass on anything extra. I buy the car and that's it.
I would never pay for an extended warranty. in fact i'll take it a step further. i'd take a $3,000 check if they said that means i only get a 10,000 mile1 yr. warranty.
Old 01-04-23, 01:53 PM
FreeMason1
10th Gear

That much faith in the brand? Or just your proclivity towards taking the gamble?

How many years you had a Lexus?

Old 01-04-23, 02:08 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,289 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I absolutely pass on anything extra. I buy the car and that's it.
I would never pay for an extended warranty. in fact i'll take it a step further. i'd take a $3,000 check if they said that means i only get a 10,000 mile1 yr. warranty.
Hmmm. No extended warranty for me either but I'll stick with the free 4 year guarantee...
Old 01-04-23, 07:57 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
ooh, check this out, I've got experience from both angles.
My last two cars came from an independent 'high end" dealer, an Acura TLX and my wife's current 2019 RX350. Both had issues with brakes, both had crappy tires - like, real crappy no name dollar store tires - 90% clean interior, not 100%, and some other imperfections. This was all indicative of the type dealer and their process.

My latest car, 2019 ES 350, is a CPO from a Lexus Dealer. First of all, the entire experience is better - like you feel checking into a luxury hotel, or a high dollar restaurant - treated like a special guest, not just a customer.
By comparison, this car had brand new Michelins, 100% clean detail inside and out - I knew I would have much more confidence going this route. Also, this car only had one previous owner who purchased it from this dealer, so they had all the service records from day one.

Now I had two issues with the car, and both were handled quite well at no charge to me, and I'm certain this would not be the case anywhere else. One was the exhausted topic of the rear speaker amplifier, which they replaced according to the elusive TSB. The other, which I posted about here, was a whistling sound from the windshield at highway speeds. They ultimately discovered it had an aftermarket windshield, but because the car was CPO they replaced it with an OEM part - no questions asked. No way that would've happened at the independent dealer.

I think it's less about the 2-year oil changes and scheduled maintenance, and more about the level of confidence and service I feel that they give me.
You refer to a rear speaker amplifier. The sound in my rear speakers (2021 ES 350) has always seemed less than robust. Is there a frequent problem with an amplifier back there. I didn’t even know there was such a thing.
Old 01-05-23, 05:44 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shaboom
You refer to a rear speaker amplifier. The sound in my rear speakers (2021 ES 350) has always seemed less than robust. Is there a frequent problem with an amplifier back there. I didn’t even know there was such a thing.
Ohhh yeah.

Long story short, they programmed the sound system to have about (my estimate) 90% sound from the front, 10% from the rear. By all accounts, it's by design, for a more "driver focused experience" or something like that. In fact, if you find a diagram of the speaker layout, there are NONE on the rear deck behind the seats (just a subwoofer) - ONLY in the rear passenger doors. The majority of the speakers are in the front doors & dashboard. EDIT: I don't know about Mark Levinson specifically but I do know those who have that system voiced the same complaints.

While the radio is playing, tune the fader all the way to only rear speakers and you'll hardly hear it - tiny, muffled almost ambient noise. Not at all what we are used to with all speakers giving even power - full powered surround sound.

At first I, like countless others, were stonewalled by the dealer, told it's operating as intended. Technically, I believe that to be accurate. But what the dealers don't like telling people is that this garnered enough complaints that Lexus Corporate quietly issued a Technical Service Bulletin, which I've attached here, calling for the replacement of the rear amplifier with an upgraded, reprogrammed model.

Now here's another twist. The new amplifier STILL does not supply even power to the rear speakers. Lexus is apparently sticking to their guns on this design. But it is improved. In my estimate, the power supply has gone from 90/10 to about 60/40. Enough of an improvement for me to leave it alone.

Of course this TSB only applies to my 2019 so I don't know the specifics of your 2021, but that's the story.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0020-20.pdf (332.3 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by F3Woody; 01-05-23 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RudimentarySpoon (12-19-23)
Old 01-05-23, 06:10 AM
gcvt
Driver

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

My only experience with CPO extended warranties was with my BMW 550i. Boy, did that come in handy!
Old 01-05-23, 06:32 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Ohhh yeah.

Long story short, they programmed the sound system to have about (my estimate) 90% sound from the front, 10% from the rear. By all accounts, it's by design, for a more "driver focused experience" or something like that. In fact, if you find a diagram of the speaker layout, there are NONE on the rear deck behind the seats (just a subwoofer) - ONLY in the rear passenger doors. The majority of the speakers are in the front doors & dashboard. EDIT: I don't know about Mark Levinson specifically but I do know those who have that system voiced the same complaints.

While the radio is playing, tune the fader all the way to only rear speakers and you'll hardly hear it - tiny, muffled almost ambient noise. Not at all what we are used to with all speakers giving even power - full powered surround sound.

At first I, like countless others, were stonewalled by the dealer, told it's operating as intended. Technically, I believe that to be accurate. But what the dealers don't like telling people is that this garnered enough complaints that Lexus Corporate quietly issued a Technical Service Bulletin, which I've attached here, calling for the replacement of the rear amplifier with an upgraded, reprogrammed model.

Now here's another twist. The new amplifier STILL does not supply even power to the rear speakers. Lexus is apparently sticking to their guns on this design. But it is improved. In my estimate, the power supply has gone from 90/10 to about 60/40. Enough of an improvement for me to leave it alone.

Of course this TSB only applies to my 2019 so I don't know the specifics of your 2021, but that's the story.
Excellent explanation. Thank you.
Now you say, “But it is improved. In my estimate, the power supply has gone from 90/10 to about 60/40. Enough of an improvement for me to leave it alone.” So do you mean enough of an improvement to have the change out performed or so little improvement the best bet is to leave it alone? Incidentally, Google only references the TSB for 2019 model.

Last edited by Shaboom; 01-05-23 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Typ

Quick Reply: CPO, and Extended CPO Warranty -_ Regrets?