ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Master caution plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 08:20 PM
Plummit
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Master caution plus

Tried to start our 2019 ES350 this morning and the battery was almost dead. The lights on the panel dimmed out and flickered. Put the charger on it and got it running but now the Master Caution is flashing and there are 2 error messages. OBD shows no faults. Any ideas?

-Marc
Old 01-19-23, 04:39 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Toyota/Lexus vehicle is known to give out false positive readings when battery is on its last breath. I would start by changing the battery.
The following users liked this post:
toyotaman7 (01-19-23)
Old 01-19-23, 12:16 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
Toyota/Lexus vehicle is known to give out false positive readings when battery is on its last breath. I would start by changing the battery.
Hondas are known to do this too. Low voltage makes electronics misbehave.
Old 01-19-23, 12:24 PM
Plummit
8th Gear

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Hondas are known to do this too. Low voltage makes electronics misbehave.
So what's the fix? Take it to the dealer? Local dealer wanted $250 to diagnose, then there is no telling how much the repair might be. The service writer hinted that the ECU might need to be changed..... Seems like the dealer could "reset" it without too much problem.

-Marc
Old 01-19-23, 12:47 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Plummit
So what's the fix? Take it to the dealer? Local dealer wanted $250 to diagnose, then there is no telling how much the repair might be. The service writer hinted that the ECU might need to be changed..... Seems like the dealer could "reset" it without too much problem.

-Marc
An AutoZone type car parts place will usually test your battery for free, and replace it for you right in the parking lot so long as it’s not a vented in the trunk 12v battery like some hybrids have. They’ll generally start getting weak around 3 years old in very hot climates and fail soon after.
The following 2 users liked this post by BBQapple:
dklanecky1 (01-19-23), LexFinally (01-20-23)
Old 01-19-23, 01:38 PM
AndrewLWSN
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get checked at the dealership just for the peace of mind (if the message error is still there after a couple of restart and driving)
Old 01-19-23, 01:55 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

When my battery won't start my car, I always take it out and charge it outside the car...slow trickle, plus check water level. You may want to disconnect the battery overnight to see if it clears your codes/messages, and also get a battery hydrometer to see if you have a dead cell...assuming you aren't looking at replacing the original battery.

Unless the service writer thought you fried the ECU by charging the battery in car, I'd avoid that dealer like the plague. $250 to diagnose your initial dead battery, or to read the error messages? That's pretty steep.

It may also take two trips/cycles to clear the codes/messages you created with the dead battery.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-23, 03:12 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

deleted because battery is covered for two years no matter what.
Old 01-20-23, 05:03 AM
Plummit
8th Gear

Anyone have experience with Carley or Carista? I was thinking of trying that.

-Marc
Old 01-20-23, 07:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Anyone have experience with Carley or Carista? I was thinking of trying that.

-Marc
Have you driven it to see if that would turn off the warning light? When I replaced the battery in my wife's RX, I had some caution lights illuminated - they told me to drive a few miles and they would go out. They were right.
Old 01-20-23, 08:09 AM
Plummit
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Have you driven it to see if that would turn off the warning light? When I replaced the battery in my wife's RX, I had some caution lights illuminated - they told me to drive a few miles and they would go out. They were right.
Yes of course. We've been driving it. The warning lights indicate that the problem is (suddenly) with the rear camera detection. It says that the RCD is off, but it seems to work as it always did. It seems that the Master Caution needs to be reset by the dealer, which is why I'm asking about the Carley and Carista app. Lexus of Cerritos wanted $250 to diagnose it and then the "repair" price would be given to me. They told me that it was 30 days out of warranty.

-Marc
Old 01-20-23, 09:34 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a way to reset rear camera detection. There was discussion about it recently.
Old 01-20-23, 10:22 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
There is a way to reset rear camera detection. There was discussion about it recently.

Old 01-20-23, 02:59 PM
Plummit
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Winner winner chicken dinner! The YT video you suggested did not work, but looking at several videos I got er done. For those that care, on the 2019 ES350 you have to go into the service menu: With the car running you hold the menu button by the touch pad and turn the lights on and off 3 times. Then you chose the Function setting, then the camera setting. You arrow down with the back or return button next to the menu button. You choose the greyed out setting button and hold your finger on the touch pad for 3 seconds. That takes you to the menu where you can memorize the steering wheel center and angle settings. Center the steering wheel and select the center setting. Now you turn the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Center the wheel and select the Angle button. Turn the car off and then restart it and all is good!
-Marc

Last edited by Plummit; 01-20-23 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 03:36 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Winner winner chicken dinner! The YT video you suggested did not work, but looking at several videos I got er done. For those that care, on the 2019 ES350 you have to go into the service menu: With the car running you hold the menu button by the touch screen and turn the lights on and off 3 times. Then you chose the Function setting, then the camera setting. You arrow down with the back or return button next to the menu button. You choose the greyed out setting button and hold your finger on the touch pad for 3 seconds. That take you to the menu where you can memorize the center and angle settings. Center the steering wheel and select the center setting. Now you turn the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Center the wheel and select the Angle button. Turn the car off and then restart it and all is good!
-Marc
do you wiggle your nose three times on the restart😆 holy cow! And I supposed you mean TOUCHPAD since our 19s do not have a TOUCHSCREEN.

Quick Reply: Master caution plus