Problem with rear window tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-23, 12:16 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Problem with rear window tint

Originally Posted by JPauwels
Ah, that's too bad that it didn't work out. I love having my windows tinted too, and even considering the minor blemishes, I'd rather keep them as is than remove the tint. I may have them give it one more try to see if they have another technique they can try that might help. The bubbles in my tint are very small and in each bubble, you can see an almost microscopic bit of dust or fiber. They clean the windows very well with a water solution and use a razor blade, so I would expect that to remove any dirt. I've also seen a lot of other cars they've done in person and none have this issue, so I'm not sure what's different about mine.
I have the same exact year/model my tinter told me he needs to sand out my rear windshield defroster so he can even it out because the defroster has a slight bigger lines and they are on the way of getting the film flushed to it, so of course my answer was NO do not sand it out since I don’t want any problem down the road, so I ask him to do his best to work around it, so after 2 days from installation I do see some air bubbles already and not the moisture bubble like we normally get so I’m not sure if that’s normal because of that defroster issue He mentioned so my question here have you ever run into this problem with your rear windshield? Btw I did 20% in my rear windshield and the sides 35% with xr black and the front windshield 70% with XPEL xr plus it turned out looking very classy !

Old 01-21-23, 12:51 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Were the bubbles on yours also around the outer edge of the windows? Mine have the issue on the two front side windows, but all the rear windows are fine. From a distance of more than a few feet away, it looks fine and the bubbles aren't noticeable unless you get really close to the glass since they're so small. It's not bad enough that I would want the tint totally removed and I'm wondering if it's even worth the time to have them try again. I appreciate their willingness to keep trying to fix the issue, but like you mentioned, I'm not sure if I want to continue taking time out of my days to have them work on it.

I expected that the tint would be perfect and bubble-free when it was done and it does look good overall, but it isn't perfect.
I have the same exact year/model my tinter told me he needs to sand out my rear windshield defroster so he can even it out because the defroster has a slight bigger lines and they are on the way of getting the film flushed to it, so of course my answer was NO do not sand it out since I don’t want any problem down the road, so I ask him to do his best to work around it, so after 2 days from installation I do see some air bubbles already and not the moisture bubble like we normally get so I’m not sure if that’s normal because of that defroster issue He mentioned so my question here have you ever run into this problem with your rear windshield? Btw I did 20% in my rear windshield and the sides 35% with xr black and the front windshield 70% with XPEL xr plus it turned out looking very classy !

Old 01-21-23, 12:59 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
No they were all somewhere in the middle. The rear windshield had tons in between the defroster lines. There was even a legitimate hairline in one area. I was referred to that place. The place has a good rep hard to get an appointment. They've done high end cars also. I mean when looking at a pics you cannot see those little bubbles. Even from a distance you couldn't see them on my car. You had to get close to the car.

As i told them if this was something i seen every time i have gotten a car tinted then it could be written off as a part of getting tints done after market, but i haven't. As i said the 2 cars that i did see that, it was one window and when replaced never seen it down the line and i had those cars done in the dead of winter no real sun to help cure the tints.
He even tried to show me his car and said even he has them that is within spec. Maybe other customers took that and ran with it or didn't find it a big enough issue to go back. Maybe didn't even notice who knows but i did and i do pay very close attention to my vehicles. I am just happy they were honest guys and gave me a refund.

They were also the most expensive out of every place i have been so i expected even more. I do miss the tints they made the car look nicer and on the hot days kept the car much cooler.
mine is 19 es 350 f sport and the rear windshield has over than 25 bubble that’s right after 2 day of installation and that’s for the 2nd time installation after I asked to have different installer they told me your rear windshield defroster is the problem it has thicker lines and that’s why you will see this bubbles he also asked me to sand it out before he apply the film which is crazy I told him not to do this of course because higher chances is he can damage the defroster system !! Not sure what to do they look very noticeable in a sunny day and from far/close not really happy with it the other windows are bubble free 🤞🏽

Old 01-21-23, 01:05 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

I went to Ridler Window Tinting in Lake in the Hills. I actually wanted to post pictures on this thread to show it, but the bubbles are so tiny and with the reflection on the windows, I was never able to get a picture that shows it. It's easy to see up close in person, but it's impossible to get a photo of it. If you were able to get a picture of yours, I can tell you if mine looks the same. I tried in a bunch of different lighting conditions and never got a good photo.
this is my 2nd time getting my rear windshield re-tinted due to excessive bubble which the installer claim that’s due to my thickness of the rear defroster and he need to sand it out lol, which I told him not to do I still see over than 25 bubble some in between the defroster lines and in the def. Lines ,,, not sure what to do ? And I don’t want to go back the same tint shop for the 3rd time !!

Old 01-21-23, 01:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I moved your posts from the LS forum here to the ES forum
Old 07-08-24, 01:39 AM
sawnzo1212
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get your rear window tint issues resolved?
Old 07-08-24, 01:40 AM
sawnzo1212
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by User 122922
this is my 2nd time getting my rear windshield re-tinted due to excessive bubble which the installer claim that’s due to my thickness of the rear defroster and he need to sand it out lol, which I told him not to do I still see over than 25 bubble some in between the defroster lines and in the def. Lines ,,, not sure what to do ? And I don’t want to go back the same tint shop for the 3rd time !!

Did you ever get your tint fixed?