ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Unbalanced Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 02:34 PM
RA012623
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unbalanced Wheels

My ESH is struggling with unbalanced wheels caused by dirt, snow and ice accumulated on the inside of the rim. My last service at the dealer the wash guy didn't get them clean so I had to removed the wheels to clean them as I didn't really know the problem. Both back rims were quite bad.
I just finished my 16K service and told the service advisor of the problem. They did remove and clean the rims.
Its been approx every 11 days between wheel washing. What a messy job, the car wash wand and spray hits the spokes and you get water and grit all over you.
I asked the service advisor what was the fix. He said he didn't know and gave the phone number for Lexus. Well that call didn't go well. The CSR told me that I had to go the dealer but after she finally looked up the VIN she said the dealer had sent in the concern and the Lexus advisor would contact me.
She called and left voice mail but seem to imply me driving on gravel was extreme driving. I do drive on gravel, maybe as much as 30 km per day but I don't believe that is extreme, many people do that. Our neighbor got to 500,000 on a Camry and she drove on more gravel than I can image.
Does anyone know if Lexus has defined as driving on gravel to be extreme - I think of off roading as extreme but not gravel roads.
Has anyone else ran into the problem?
I'm trying to image why it is happening. A few possibilities - I think the problem is the rear wheels so maybe the gravel is shot back to them from the front wheel, maybe a mud flap might be the cure? Maybe it is the rim itself? Maybe it is because of the limiting the air movement under the car - maybe that is why other don't have the problem as the covers underneath might change the air flow around so they are not self cleaning? Any thoughts.
I will talk to Lexus tomorrow but wondered if others are having a similar problem.
Old 01-26-23, 03:21 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Not a Lexus problem, this happens in winter. Remove the wheels and wax or ceramic coat the barrels if you want to reduce the chances of buildup. Blame your weather, not Lexus.
Old 01-26-23, 03:30 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Your driving appears to be more off-roading and in snowy/icy weather. Are you really expecting Lexus to clean your wheels?

Ask your Camry driving neighbor if she routinely cleaned her wheels or if Toyota provided that service.

Really?
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (01-27-23)
Old 01-26-23, 05:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

I've only had this happen once or twice over the years when lots of snow built up in the wheels after a big storm. It was an easy fix with a basic snow brush just poking the snow out if all the crevices.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (01-27-23)
Old 01-26-23, 06:06 PM
RA012623
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely don't think Lexus should wash the rims unless they are at fault. 12 times in a couple months seems a bit high to me.

My wife has a small Infinity that drives more on the gravel than I do, rarely need to clean her rims - maybe twice a year.

I do expect a Lexus to be able to drive in what is considered normal in our area, that is where they sell them. Yes we have a few in the major cities but there are many in rural areas and they travel to our lakes where is gravel is very common. Unbalanced wheels are certainly a safety issue and a major car company should consider the designs appropriately. We have been here for 15 years, we have driven a small Subaru, the Infinity, Rav4, a large Subaru, a Honda, and a large Infinity; I can't say road conditions have changed and amazingly none of those vehicles seem to have an issue. Why would Lexus have the issue? I think it is certainly design of something but don't know. Likely a huge mistake to have purchased the ESH, great car but it needs to be safe and comfortable to drive. I guess it is not.

I just wish Lexus would give us appropriate warning of the issues. For example I have had tow hitch for each of my vehicles but it was clear that the ESH was not good for towing so I came up with a plan if I needed to tow a trailer. Not sure why they didn't say that the ESH on gravel is considered extreme driving condition and as such it might not be best solution.

Maybe I'm just not a great Lexus owner. Over the years I have purchased upwards of 20 Toyota and Lexus vehicles (I bought Toyota truck for work). I have to say not any of them had any issues, except for the 22 ESH. Toyota does make an amazing vehicle but ...

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-27-23, 12:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Geez, this is a new one on me... I have never, in 60 years of driving - on all types of roads - had a problem with wheel balance due to wheel contamination by dirt, stones, gravel, sand, or any other thing... Not doubting your post whatsoever but do find it incredible that your issue not only occurred, but continues to occur. I give some credit to Lexus for agreeing to clean your wheels for you. Most dealers, I think, would say "take a hike"...