ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 ES300H F Sport - Creak from front end low speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-23, 04:34 AM
Lexsim
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 ES300H F Sport - Creak from front end low speed

I have a 2019 ES300H F Sport with adaptive dampers.
the problem I have been having over the last few months is a creaking that seems to come from the front end at low speed when turning. The cars been into the dealer on 3 occasions for this to be looked at.
the first time they replaced a strut mount which seemed to improve the creak for a day or so then it came back.
the next visit it was sent off to a panel beater to check for panel flex but they couldn’t find the source. They can hear the noise but can’t pick it up on their sound recording device to send to Lexus.
Has anyone else had this issue or a resolution?
The following users liked this post:
secvla (11-13-23)
Old 01-29-23, 07:14 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

The creak may come from the dry ball joint (stabiliser link, control arm) or from the strut assembly but also there is a small possibility for two panels to touch each other during the flex.
Old 01-29-23, 12:51 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
there is a small possibility for two panels to touch each other during the flex.
Interesting and sounds tough to diagnose
Old 01-29-23, 01:43 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

There is a product called a Chasis Ear that can be used to track down pesky suspension noises. You clamp on various parts, go for a drive, and "listen" to which part is the noisiest. I have a set, I would think dealers would have something like that too...
Old 01-29-23, 08:14 PM
Lexsim
5th Gear

Thanks guys, the techs have used the chassis ears and couldn’t pick where it was coming from, I guess it’ll just be a process of elimination.
they’re currently waiting for an F Sport to come in for service to see if it makes the same noise as they don’t have any on the lot.
Old 01-30-23, 02:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

My CT200h had a similar creak when I put it in park and it would rock back and forth on the parking pawl as the car settled. Drove me nuts. Sounded like a wooden pirate ship. I heard other CTs and Priuses do the same thing so I figure it's common. After tightening everything and checking everything I sprayed a bunch of silicone grease on the front driver control arm bushing. instantly the noise went away. And I confirmed that was the fix because the noise was 100% repeatable before this. Park car--let it rock. Squeak/creak as the car settled. I don't know if it was good to spray that particular grease but i just wanted to try anything as the noise drove me nuts. So it could be that a non-serviceable part is just drying out and old or maybe something isn't as tight as it should be.
Old 01-31-23, 12:51 AM
Lexsim
5th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
My CT200h had a similar creak when I put it in park and it would rock back and forth on the parking pawl as the car settled. Drove me nuts. Sounded like a wooden pirate ship. I heard other CTs and Priuses do the same thing so I figure it's common. After tightening everything and checking everything I sprayed a bunch of silicone grease on the front driver control arm bushing. instantly the noise went away. And I confirmed that was the fix because the noise was 100% repeatable before this. Park car--let it rock. Squeak/creak as the car settled. I don't know if it was good to spray that particular grease but i just wanted to try anything as the noise drove me nuts. So it could be that a non-serviceable part is just drying out and old or maybe something isn't as tight as it should be.
thanks for the tip - the Lexus tech gave me a bottle of spray to use on the car and I sprayed the control arm bushings and it seems to have stopped. I would have thought having the car for multiple days that would have been checked, not a part you’d expect to make noise on a pretty new car - it’s under new car warranty.
Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (01-31-23)
Old 01-31-23, 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexsim
thanks for the tip - the Lexus tech gave me a bottle of spray to use on the car and I sprayed the control arm bushings and it seems to have stopped. I would have thought having the car for multiple days that would have been checked, not a part you’d expect to make noise on a pretty new car - it’s under new car warranty.
Thanks again!
Yeah knowing Lexus that control arm bushing must be recycled and reused throughout the generations and various models and probably has the same design deficit allowing it to get noisy later in life. can you show us what spray they gave you? curious.
Old 02-01-23, 03:01 AM
Lexsim
5th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yeah knowing Lexus that control arm bushing must be recycled and reused throughout the generations and various models and probably has the same design deficit allowing it to get noisy later in life. can you show us what spray they gave you? curious.

Old 11-13-23, 12:09 AM
secvla
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2019 es350f sports plus with adaptive suspension. Only it’s the rear, with annoying clunks. Usually slow driving turns on bumpy roads. Now turns in general. First had Glendale Lexus check it out and they claimed it was a hanging dog barrier in back. Now I am just past the three year warranty so they would charge for a test drive. I only have 50K miles which took longer than usual because of Covid. It concerns me because it should still feel and sound like a new car. Some LA roads suck, but this car has never endured extreme weather and roads. Help?
Old 11-13-23, 12:29 AM
secvla
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you explain panel flex noise?