ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Michelin Cross Climate 2 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 02:06 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Will be replacing tires soon on my wife's 19 300h w/18" wheels. While the Cross Climates, which I like, are on my 20 GLS 450 which I bought it in November, on Tire Rack a new tire, the Bridgestone Weatherpeak is number 1 of 61 (CrossClimate2 is number 2) in Grand Touring All Season category.
Anyone had experience with these?
Bridgestone Weatherpeak
No, but I do have experience with buying brand new tires only to discover that Tire Rack has somewhat overhyped them. I'd check other sources like Consumer Reports for corroboration, and I'd let them pass the test of time before I bought them.
Old 02-15-23, 02:31 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
No, but I do have experience with buying brand new tires only to discover that Tire Rack has somewhat overhyped them. I'd check other sources like Consumer Reports for corroboration, and I'd let them pass the test of time before I bought them.
Thanks for the response. It will probably be a couple of months before I buy so I will continue research. Tire Rack's testing had them behind the CrossClimate2. From my reading, due to aggressive driving/cornering on the track, which my wife would not be doing. It is the consumer reviews that has them at #1 in the category.

When I bought the GLS I talked to the "tire expert" at the MB dealership. The CrossClimates are considered MO (Mercedes Original) and recommended for the vehicle. I was told the tires are great, with the only negative being that when they get some wear, they will generate some noise (as will most/all tires).
Old 03-27-23, 08:36 PM
Skysky888
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Crossclimate2 100H (fuel mileage) concerns

I have replaced m OEM tire recently on my 2019 NX300h with 65K miles. I got the tires from Bjs. I have been using these tires in 4 weeks. I find out that the gas mileage decrease a lot. when I filled up a full tank of gas, I usually get 460 miles. After I replaced with michelin cross climate 2, the gas mileage drop down to 420 miles. I lose around 30 miles every time when I pump the gas.
I just want to check if anyone has this experience with this tires? I called Michelin, they said i can replace another set of tires at bjs base on the 60 days customer satisfaction. I will check one more week if that is still like that I will replace it. Let's me know what you think of the mileage of this tire. thank you
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 05:03 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Skysky888
I have replaced m OEM tire recently on my 2019 NX300h with 65K miles. I got the tires from Bjs. I have been using these tires in 4 weeks. I find out that the gas mileage decrease a lot. when I filled up a full tank of gas, I usually get 460 miles. After I replaced with michelin cross climate 2, the gas mileage drop down to 420 miles. I lose around 30 miles every time when I pump the gas.
I just want to check if anyone has this experience with this tires? I called Michelin, they said i can replace another set of tires at bjs base on the 60 days customer satisfaction. I will check one more week if that is still like that I will replace it. Let's me know what you think of the mileage of this tire. thank you
Thanks for info on mpg. I was concerned about this when I saw the tread pattern.
Old 03-28-23, 06:56 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 284 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Vredestein itself stamps on the tire's sidewall that it has a UTQG expected tread life rating of 400. By comparison, the CrossClimate II is rated at 640. I'm not saying this as a criticism, since I knew it when I bought them and they also cost a lot less. I suspect they made the engineering choice of soft rubber, maximizing all-weather traction at the expense of MPG and tread life. Our OEM tires make exactly the opposite choice to maximize the car's EPA mileage rating, and I didn't want their traction compromises. Hey, nothing has lower rolling resistance than a ball bearing, but you wouldn't want to depend on one for cornering grip.
UTQG ratings are given by the manufacture so you can’t use them to rate one brand against another. I know that doesn’t make sense but you can only judge a brand against another tire of the same brand. Their suggested mileage is what you should consider more when looking at how long they will last. Also consider some cheap low end tire might be rated as a speed rated Y tire and have AA traction but would you really expect it to be on the same level as a Michelin with the same ratings.
LexFinally (05-01-23)
Old 03-28-23, 08:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Thanks for info on mpg. I was concerned about this when I saw the tread pattern.
The tread pattern alone makes them a non starter for me. Just looks ridiculous on a passenger car or even SUV for that matter.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikemu30:
ATL350 (04-26-23), Denzlex (03-28-23), ltlo77 (03-28-23), r1supersta (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 10:55 AM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The tread pattern alone makes them a non starter for me. Just looks ridiculous on a passenger car or even SUV for that matter.
And not a true A/S. I wouldn't buy it. There is no way a tread pattern that aggressive will last long, be quiet, and handle well, especially in the dry.

Michelin CrossClimate 2 - Tire Reviews and Tests (tire-reviews.com)
Old 03-28-23, 04:39 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by r1supersta
And not a true A/S. I wouldn't buy it. There is no way a tread pattern that aggressive will last long, be quiet, and handle well, especially in the dry.

Michelin CrossClimate 2 - Tire Reviews and Tests (tire-reviews.com)
Correct, not all season. All weather.
Old 03-28-23, 05:35 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I've had my CC2s since October and they're great. And they look great, too. They were the top rated tire in their category on tirerack.com when I bought them. I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 04-25-23, 02:15 PM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I just made another observation with these Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. With the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires my speedo was off by 2mph at highway speed. If my speedo showed 80 my actual GPS speed was 78. With the Michelins my speedo and actual speed are in sync.
Old 04-25-23, 05:21 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by r1supersta
Despite numerous independent tests that say the opposite. You certainly have every right to not buy anything you wish, but what in the world do you base this on?
DavidZ (04-26-23)
Old 04-25-23, 06:02 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have them on my RX 450h for the last 12,000 miles and still very happy with the purchase.
Old 04-26-23, 04:13 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

Well I'm still happy with my factory installed Michelin Energy Saver A/S - smooth, quiet and I have no complaints about the mileage.
Old 04-26-23, 09:03 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by ATL350
Well I'm still happy with my factory installed Michelin Energy Saver A/S - smooth, quiet and I have no complaints about the mileage.
I think geography has something to do with that, but glad it's working out well for you.
Old 04-26-23, 09:23 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I purchased the CC2s knowing they would have an adverse effect on MPG’s - after all I was getting rid of the Turanzas because of the low rolling resistance. I wanted a tire that would really stick to the road in any weather situation. As far as the aggressive appearance, I too thought they would look ridiculous on a Lexus but to my surprise they look great (IMO). So for what its worth “I’m still happy and I will let you folks know if the road noise or ride changes”

Quick Reply: Michelin Cross Climate 2 Performance