ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Michelin Cross Climate 2 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 09:40 AM
GreenGobln
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The EL 440's really are crap. Worst tire I have ever had. Car felt like slug at a light. I swapped mine out with the MIchelin Primacy Touring A/S's and a huge night and day difference.
Old 05-01-23, 04:53 AM
str8aero
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m needing new tires soon on my 2019 UL… first set of new tires (~28k miles). I’m very interested in the CC2, but we live in North Texas and while we occasionally get some snow, it is rare. I’m thinking the CC2 may be too aggressive of a tread pattern for what’s needed here and if I lose gas mileage or if they are at all noisy I’d be disappointed.
But, my other big question is - do they have the ‘rim protector’ built into the tire… the added ridge of stiff rubber around the rim to ‘help’ prevent curb rash? I’ve searched the websites and can’t find mention of it; and in online photos of the tire it is not evident. I’m guessing they don’t?
Old 05-01-23, 12:09 PM
GoOil97
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had heard good things about Bridgestone's QuietTrack tire and recently bought a set for my wife's SUV. They are nice, quiet and smooth, but we only put about 3K km's on them. I like their 130K km warranty and the price was less than CC2's. When my ES 350 F-Sport tires are due for replacement, I will definitely consider them.
Old 05-01-23, 04:58 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by str8aero
I’m needing new tires soon on my 2019 UL… first set of new tires (~28k miles). I’m very interested in the CC2, but we live in North Texas and while we occasionally get some snow, it is rare. I’m thinking the CC2 may be too aggressive of a tread pattern for what’s needed here and if I lose gas mileage or if they are at all noisy I’d be disappointed.
But, my other big question is - do they have the ‘rim protector’ built into the tire… the added ridge of stiff rubber around the rim to ‘help’ prevent curb rash? I’ve searched the websites and can’t find mention of it; and in online photos of the tire it is not evident. I’m guessing they don’t?
My Vredesteins are supposed to have that kind of "rim protector", but the truth is today's wide rims can't be completely protected. Mine are curb rashed regardless (sigh).

As for your North Texas conditions, with your lack of winter weather to account for and desire for a comfortable ride, I'd consider Michelin Primacy.
Old 05-01-23, 05:04 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Fun fact about "aggressive" tread patterns:

You'd think that tire treads are designed to achieve their makers' performance goals and the way they look is the way they look, but you might be wrong. I recall reading several years back that Goodyear was showing prospective tread patterns to focus groups, and then changing them based on what the consumers guessed the tires would do just from looking at them. Apparently this was how the Assurance "TripleTred" came to be; they wanted to market it by saying "This part is for wet traction, and this part is for this, and this third part is for that." I knew tire sidewalls were the object of styling, but treads? Ugh.