ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Michelin Cross Climate 2 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 02:16 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Michelin Cross Climate 2 Performance

I have had these tires for right at a year now and can honestly say they have been outstanding! We just had a solid two weeks of snow/ice/slush/ refreeze/ etc … and they have performed much better than expected. Black ice was the only area that I couldn’t get traction and as far as I am concerned no tire is safe on that type of surface. Not to sound like an advertisement but I highly suggest these tires especially if you drive in rain/ snow, want relatively mild road noise, and what appears to be a good wear rate from a set of tires. PS: I haven’t tried in deep snow and probably wouldn’t go out in anything that was coming above the front fascia of my car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Moorekx:
ATL350 (02-13-23), GilThorp (02-12-23), JWCL (02-22-23)
Old 02-05-23, 11:02 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I just had them installed on Wednesday. They make the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440's seem like the tires on Fred Flintstones car. Night and day difference. We (normally) get plenty of snow in WI which is one of the reasons I went with these. I recommend getting them at Costco. Total was around $980 with installation and you get lifetime rotate and balance, 5yr road hazard warranty and free tire patching. They also use Nitrogen and have a filling station outside so you can top off whenever needed.

I don't know about anyone else but within 24000 miles I've had 3 punctures in my right front tire. The first two, one at around 2k and the other around 4k required replacing the tire! After I picked up this last screw I just replaced all of them since those OEM tires wear for crap.

Last edited by Ltvscout; 02-05-23 at 02:48 PM. Reason: meant right front, not left
The following users liked this post:
Moorekx (02-08-23)
Old 02-05-23, 02:43 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

There was a European site that did very extensive testing of multiple all-season brands. The CC2 won convincingly. Stunningly, they were just about as good on snow (although not on ice) as dedicated Blizzak winter tires.
Moorekx (02-08-23)
Old 02-05-23, 02:45 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about this tire and would highly consider if I lived in an area that had more weather than just light rain. The tread pattern is wild too.
Old 02-06-23, 07:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
There was a European site that did very extensive testing of multiple all-season brands. The CC2 won convincingly. Stunningly, they were just about as good on snow (although not on ice) as dedicated Blizzak winter tires.
Hopefully not as noisy as Blizzaks though.
Old 02-06-23, 07:29 AM
nyuhsuk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any consumer tire that really fares well against ice?
Old 02-06-23, 11:49 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by nyuhsuk
Is there any consumer tire that really fares well against ice?
Winter tires, unsurprisingly, do best. Beyond that, there's studs and chains.
Old 02-08-23, 10:53 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have them on my ES and gladly take the few MPG hit over the extra traction they provide.
The following 2 users liked this post by bootman:
JWCL (02-22-23), LexFinally (02-08-23)
Old 02-08-23, 11:28 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by bootman
I have them on my ES and gladly take the few MPG hit over the extra traction they provide.
I replaced my OEM Michelins immediately, and their replacements (Vredestein Quatrac Pro) are pretty good. But when they die — which reportedly should be pretty fast — CC2's will be next.
Old 02-12-23, 07:15 PM
GilThorp
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moorekx
I have had these tires for right at a year now and can honestly say they have been outstanding! We just had a solid two weeks of snow/ice/slush/ refreeze/ etc … and they have performed much better than expected. Black ice was the only area that I couldn’t get traction and as far as I am concerned no tire is safe on that type of surface. Not to sound like an advertisement but I highly suggest these tires especially if you drive in rain/ snow, want relatively mild road noise, and what appears to be a good wear rate from a set of tires. PS: I haven’t tried in deep snow and probably wouldn’t go out in anything that was coming above the front fascia of my car.
I have same tires on my 2022 ES 350 and my 2022 Palisade. I swear by them, especially being in Minnesota
Old 02-13-23, 02:50 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

I replaced my OEM Michelins immediately, and their replacements (Vredestein Quatrac Pro) are pretty good. But when they die — which reportedly should be pretty fast — CC2's will be next.
Surprised you say this. I put them on wife’s Acura MDX couple years ago. They are quieter, better handling and more comfortable than any high end Bridgestone or Michelins I have ever owned and, I see no evidence of early tread wear. I am going to put them on my 2020 ES this spring even though I only have 9k miles on original crappers.
Old 02-13-23, 07:58 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by artbuc
Surprised you say this. I put them on wife’s Acura MDX couple years ago. They are quieter, better handling and more comfortable than any high end Bridgestone or Michelins I have ever owned and, I see no evidence of early tread wear. I am going to put them on my 2020 ES this spring even though I only have 9k miles on original crappers.
Vredestein itself stamps on the tire's sidewall that it has a UTQG expected tread life rating of 400. By comparison, the CrossClimate II is rated at 640. I'm not saying this as a criticism, since I knew it when I bought them and they also cost a lot less. I suspect they made the engineering choice of soft rubber, maximizing all-weather traction at the expense of MPG and tread life. Our OEM tires make exactly the opposite choice to maximize the car's EPA mileage rating, and I didn't want their traction compromises. Hey, nothing has lower rolling resistance than a ball bearing, but you wouldn't want to depend on one for cornering grip.

Last edited by LexFinally; 02-13-23 at 08:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
mcomer (02-13-23), Moorekx (02-18-23)
Old 02-13-23, 09:23 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Vredestein itself stamps on the tire's sidewall that it has a UTQG expected tread life rating of 400. By comparison, the CrossClimate II is rated at 640. I'm not saying this as a criticism, since I knew it when I bought them and they also cost a lot less. I suspect they made the engineering choice of soft rubber, maximizing all-weather traction at the expense of MPG and tread life. Our OEM tires make exactly the opposite choice to maximize the car's EPA mileage rating, and I didn't want their traction compromises. Hey, nothing has lower rolling resistance than a ball bearing, but you wouldn't want to depend on one for cornering grip.
Fair enough. My driving miles are way down so I replace tires based on years. I am no longer concerned about tread life.
LexFinally (02-15-23)
Old 02-13-23, 09:31 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by artbuc
Fair enough. My driving miles are way down so I replace tires based on years. I am no longer concerned about tread life.
I'm in a similar situation. As a Midwesterner, I also valued the Vredesteins' foul weather traction that the OEM tires sacrifice.
Old 02-15-23, 01:43 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Will be replacing tires soon on my wife's 19 300h w/18" wheels. While the Cross Climates, which I like, are on my 20 GLS 450 which I bought it in November, on Tire Rack a new tire, the Bridgestone Weatherpeak is number 1 of 61 (CrossClimate2 is number 2) in Grand Touring All Season category.
Anyone had experience with these?
Bridgestone Weatherpeak

Quick Reply: Michelin Cross Climate 2 Performance