Sad day. Sold the ES (lease)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 10:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
Congrats on the new ride, enjoy it.
Def. not for me right now. Maybe 10 years later when charging and infrastructure is not a concern. I don't want to plan my vacation/road trip around the charging stations. The reason Tesla makes 3-time profit per car vs others is because there is nothing outside and inside of a Tesla , so they saved a lot of cost. You paid for the technologies and engineerings that no one else has, as of now.
If I'm forced to get an EV, I'll take is the RZ as daily ride. In my eyes, Testa looks like a toy car vs this below :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkG5n-J7S-k

https://www.youtube.com/@DiscoverLexus/videos
Once you drive a (newer) tesla i think you'll understand. there's more to a good EV than giving it "futuristic styling" and tossing a motor and battery into it. the technology package, way its integrated, the powertrains themselves, etc.

Right now the Teslas are extremely optimized while legacy makers are re-tooling or re-shuffling existing bodies. There's a lot of nuance to good EV building.

anyway

I'm also enjoying the green light chime that lets you know to stop looking at your phone and time to take off. LOL
Old 02-15-23, 10:34 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The white tesla interiors are like magic. detailers praise it for ease to keep clean.
The Toyota and Lexus fake leather are so good these days I prefer it to real leather. We had two cars with it go over 100k miles each and the stuff at 100k looked better than one year old real leather. I would have bought my ES300h as Ultra Luxury if it could have been equipped with fake leather, sadly I had to settle for a premium with as many options as could be found in inventory.
Old 02-16-23, 12:08 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I think it's overblown. I have several friend's with Teslas who love them and have had zero issues high mileage too. And those are early models. Sure they've had stuff like replaced tail light due to moisture (what car maker does that not happen to), or misaligned trim. They all tell me it's by far the best car they've ever owned and I believe it.

Most of those dependability studies based on complaints are stuff like trim pieces, etc. Don't forget my ES had bubbling clear coat, misaligned dash, misaligned doors, paint runs, squeaky interior, clacking brake booster. (I've posted about all these things before on here)

The battery has a 120k mile warranty.

This is car #20 for me. And i've never been this satisfied, happy, or excited during my initial experience. my friend just got hers and she loves it to death too. and you know me i'm pretty picky.
Congratulations on your New Tesla!

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it a year from now because most things give you that warm, fuzzy feeling when they are new. It's after you get some driving time and miles on them that is the real indicator of the vehicle!

I've also heard bad things about Tesla service and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the future because you seem like a straight shooter and would give an Honest review!

Once again, Congratulations and Please don't be a stranger!
Old 02-16-23, 12:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Congratulations on your New Tesla!

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it a year from now because most things give you that warm, fuzzy feeling when they are new. It's after you get some driving time and miles on them that is the real indicator of the vehicle!

I've also heard bad things about Tesla service and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the future because you seem like a straight shooter and would give an Honest review!

Once again, Congratulations and Please don't be a stranger!
Thanks! So far Tesla service has been responsive on the app. you ask a question and they text back quickly. We'll see how I like it after a year. So far i'm loving the car. it's a ton of fun. i know i'll be in deep for tires though. 275 width/20 " . fun times.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
FreddyG (02-16-23), Jack1986 (02-16-23)
Old 02-16-23, 02:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Thanks! So far Tesla service has been responsive on the app. you ask a question and they text back quickly. We'll see how I like it after a year. So far i'm loving the car. it's a ton of fun. i know i'll be in deep for tires though. 275 width/20 " . fun times.
Your wheels look great. I'm generally not a fan of black but they look sharp on your Tesla against the black exterior.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 07:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Your wheels look great. I'm generally not a fan of black but they look sharp on your Tesla against the black exterior.
Thanks man. yep you know me and black wheels.. not typically a fan. these are growing on me though. the design is interesting up close. there's like this circular channel if you look inside the wheel. they sure beat the standard 19s (puke)
mikemu30 (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 07:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

the mod selection out there is HUGE.

so far i got:

gloss CF spoiler (china special, but it looks VERY well made)
some storage bins
dog seat cover
tesla license plate frame (Genuine)
hard glass screen protector (slightly frosted for anti glare)
ppf door edge guards
partial front ppf (not here yet, will DIY)
headlight and foglight ppf (DIY) (YES FOG LIGHTS!!)
some cheap(ish) metal pedal covers (very tight fit, decent quality)
cargo area rubber mat
valve stem caps (metal)
and getting the front windows tinted this weekend.

i won't make this a build thread as this isn't a tesla forum but there's an idea of what i did so far.
F3Woody (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 07:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man. yep you know me and black wheels.. not typically a fan. these are growing on me though. the design is interesting up close. there's like this circular channel if you look inside the wheel. they sure beat the standard 19s (puke)
How do you protect that front end on long highway trips? With no grill, it must collect a ton of debris??
Old 02-17-23, 07:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How do you protect that front end on long highway trips? With no grill, it must collect a ton of debris??
exactly.. the area where the grill would normally be had splatter all over it. that's why i got a partial front ppf kit. (mostly for pebbles and stones)

here's halfway on a 500 mile trip.. the way the front is curved its like a big net. so the PPF i got covers that area. https://twraps.com/products/bumper-c...-tesla-model-y

Old 02-17-23, 08:13 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I was curious how they compare dimensions wise.

Old 02-17-23, 08:16 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, that's a heavy car. I guess that's all battery weight?
Old 02-17-23, 08:51 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Wow, that's a heavy car. I guess that's all battery weight?
Yup. EVs are heavy, go look at the Hummer EV weight and you'd be surprised.
Old 02-17-23, 10:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Heavy is good in an accident though. One thing about EV vs ICE, ICE cars have soft/paper thin under bellys which gives them a relatively soft side structure. The model Y is enormously beefy structurally. especially on the floor and side structure due to the structural battery pack. one of the reasons i wanted an EV, for the safety

In my opinion the two safest cars right now are the Model Y and Mustang Mach E. they're enormously strong.

though 4,555 lbs, you don't feel it at all. The Model Y feels athletic. it puts smile on my face when i take a corner. it just darts and feels light on its feet. you don't know it's that heavy at all.

But if you want heavy, check out the Rivian R1T. It's 7,000 lbs
F3Woody (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 11:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

exactly.. the area where the grill would normally be had splatter all over it. that's why i got a partial front ppf kit. (mostly for pebbles and stones)

here's halfway on a 500 mile trip.. the way the front is curved its like a big net. so the PPF i got covers that area. https://twraps.com/products/bumper-c...-tesla-model-y

Oh my goodness
Old 02-19-23, 12:34 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Heavy is good in an accident though. One thing about EV vs ICE, ICE cars have soft/paper thin under bellys which gives them a relatively soft side structure. The model Y is enormously beefy structurally. especially on the floor and side structure due to the structural battery pack. one of the reasons i wanted an EV, for the safety
but once that battery protection structure is compromised, then you have fire.

https://www.tesla-fire.com/index-amp

Quick Reply: Sad day. Sold the ES (lease)