ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Sad day. Sold the ES (lease)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24 | 10:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

1 year update.
10,000 miles in. All is good. I recently installed the Acceleration Boost package offered by Tesla, which is a firmware update that unlocks 0-60 in 4.2s.

Real world Pros:
Fast. All the power, to the ground, instantly. I can pick any lane I want and open up any space I want. Instantly. The exception is another Model Y or, a Plaid. AB helps me out a bit with that lol.
Spacious
Security & safety. Cameras, insanely beefy structure, excellent crash dynamics, world's best stability control program, low center of gravity.
Silence
Technology
Seats
Excellent friendly service that comes to your house free. Had steering wheel replaced under warranty last week due to the covering forming an air pocket underneath. You could barely tell but it bothered me. Tech came and replaced it no questions asked. He didnt even bother to check. I asked if he needed me to show him the area on the steering wheel. he's like nah i'll just replace it for you. he was done in 5 minutes.
OTA updates continually upgrade the car.

Real world cons:
expensive EV tires, expensive glass if damaged. par for the course though
Build quality needs work on certain parts (See steering wheel covering) thankfully though, no interior noises to speak of.
Expensive registration/insurance. my insurance is pretty cheap though. hooray for being old.

i'll update with anything else i think of.

MY and 7ES are still the best cars to me. only two i'd consider.
The one-screen to control everything takes time getting used to. but after that it's good. Took me 2-3 months to get used to it. now i no longer have to peck at the screen to turn on the wipers
Old 01-31-24 | 11:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
1 year update.
10,000 miles in. All is good. I recently installed the Acceleration Boost package offered by Tesla, which is a firmware update that unlocks 0-60 in 4.2s.

Real world Pros:
Fast. All the power, to the ground, instantly. I can pick any lane I want and open up any space I want. Instantly. The exception is another Model Y or, a Plaid. AB helps me out a bit with that lol.
Spacious
Security & safety. Cameras, insanely beefy structure, excellent crash dynamics, world's best stability control program, low center of gravity.
Silence
Technology
Seats
Excellent friendly service that comes to your house free. Had steering wheel replaced under warranty last week due to the covering forming an air pocket underneath. You could barely tell but it bothered me. Tech came and replaced it no questions asked. He didnt even bother to check. I asked if he needed me to show him the area on the steering wheel. he's like nah i'll just replace it for you. he was done in 5 minutes.
OTA updates continually upgrade the car.

Real world cons:
expensive EV tires, expensive glass if damaged. par for the course though
Build quality needs work on certain parts (See steering wheel covering) thankfully though, no interior noises to speak of.
Expensive registration/insurance. my insurance is pretty cheap though. hooray for being old.

i'll update with anything else i think of.

MY and 7ES are still the best cars to me. only two i'd consider.
The one-screen to control everything takes time getting used to. but after that it's good. Took me 2-3 months to get used to it. now i no longer have to peck at the screen to turn on the wipers
Glad to hear - can't believe it's been a year already - gosh. Means my ES is a year older but still going strong Get this - my wife may want an RX HYBRID!! Believe that? Going to the dark side maybe.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (02-01-24)
Old 02-01-24 | 08:26 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

You mean RX500h? or the last gen 450h? have they ironed out the problems with the RX500h? last i read they had a stop-sale on them, what ever happened to that?

i think you'll like the hybrid. it minimizes the dependence on gas a bit, it's a nice feeling to have a small gas tank (cheaper to fill) and get more range. though with a big heavy SUV, the effect isn't as strong as say an ES hybrid. you'd probably get fuel economy equivalent to that of a regular gas Camry.

Old 02-01-24 | 08:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You mean RX500h? or the last gen 450h? have they ironed out the problems with the RX500h? last i read they had a stop-sale on them, what ever happened to that?

i think you'll like the hybrid. it minimizes the dependence on gas a bit, it's a nice feeling to have a small gas tank (cheaper to fill) and get more range. though with a big heavy SUV, the effect isn't as strong as say an ES hybrid. you'd probably get fuel economy equivalent to that of a regular gas Camry.
350h new gen - no interest in the 500 - she's not drag racing anyone The 350h is rated for more than 35mpg. Pretty amazing for a vehicle that size.
Old 02-01-24 | 08:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thats better then. 34-35 mpg. about what my CT200h would get. not bad for a big suv
Old 02-01-24 | 09:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thats better then. 34-35 mpg. about what my CT200h would get. not bad for a big suv
Yeah the other option is the NX hybrid at about 40 mpg- she'd like something smaller than the RX but not sure she'll be happy with the NX after driving RX for last seven years. Test drive maybe this weekend.
Old 02-01-24 | 04:09 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Yeah the other option is the NX hybrid at about 40 mpg- she'd like something smaller than the RX but not sure she'll be happy with the NX after driving RX for last seven years. Test drive maybe this weekend.
We traded from a 2013 RX to an NX. My wife and I enjoyed the NX, but we were disappointed with the road noise and bouncy ride quality. It really felt like the designers kept too much of the Rav 4 DNA. It probably wouldn’t have been such an issue if we weren’t used to the RX previously (and frankly, the 2015 ES we were also driving at the time). The other negative was the power level, which was somewhat of an issue in steep mountainous terrain. We were delighted to go back to the RX hybrid and three years later still feel that way. To be fair, the new Gen NX may be quieter and have a better ride for all I know. Unfortunately, the new RX (hybrid or not) only has the 4 cylinder power plant (like the NX) so while I think it would be fine for city and reasonably level highway driving, it may be a bit anemic on steep grades. Just my .02 cents worth…
Old 02-02-24 | 05:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
We traded from a 2013 RX to an NX. My wife and I enjoyed the NX, but we were disappointed with the road noise and bouncy ride quality. It really felt like the designers kept too much of the Rav 4 DNA. It probably wouldn’t have been such an issue if we weren’t used to the RX previously (and frankly, the 2015 ES we were also driving at the time). The other negative was the power level, which was somewhat of an issue in steep mountainous terrain. We were delighted to go back to the RX hybrid and three years later still feel that way. To be fair, the new Gen NX may be quieter and have a better ride for all I know. Unfortunately, the new RX (hybrid or not) only has the 4 cylinder power plant (like the NX) so while I think it would be fine for city and reasonably level highway driving, it may be a bit anemic on steep grades. Just my .02 cents worth…
Noted - will probably test both the NX and new RX and see what she thinks.